Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#215686 - 01/25/11 11:51 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
A friend of mine was a Philadelphia police officer for 25 years or so. He said that by far the two most effective anti-break in measures are motion sensors on outside lights and a dog.

Lights that turn on as one walks around will spook most intruders. Any dog that barks, even a very small dog will also scare away most intruders.

That is what he told me anyhow. I don't if it is true or not. Just passing it on...

#215687 - 01/25/11 11:59 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
+1 on everything Dagny has posted.

We have had very similar advice from the Sheriff's Department in Loudoun County VA, (no County police there) and here in Anne Arundel County, MD.

It can't be stressed enough to get everyone in the neighborhood to call the police if the see something suspicious, something out of place, or even just something that makes them uncomfortable. Don't be afraid that it is not important and that you are wasting police time. Our police keep telling us they want us to do that.

Also, it turns out that the more calls that come in from an area causes the scheduling of more police patrols. This is what you want.

Thus, I have been known to call in, for example, a car parked in front of my house at 3 AM, lights off, engine running. . .and had a patrol car pull up behind it about 5 min. later. . . never did find out what was going on. . .

And my neighbor has called about "door to door" salesmen. Her you need a license for that, and he didn't.

#215693 - 01/26/11 02:45 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
As was mentioned earlier,Neighbor participation,Game camera's,& Most Important,Alerting the police of ANY Suspicious activity!Slide bolts/Goat Bells on The inside of fence/gates/Screen door's,Loud Audible Alarms,Double Cylinder deadbolts are Good!You can Glue/Silicone magnets at lower edges/rabbets on the windows,& place alarm co stickers on the windows!Tint your windows,fasten shades/drapes with velcro for 0 visibility into your home!Converse with your Neighbors,Often!Many of my Neighbors have Internet camera systems with data banks that can go back a year, if need be!Though my area isn't posted,We have Neighborhood Watch & Block captains,& Various LEO's living in the Immediate area,This is Good stuff to Establish,& To Know!

#215695 - 01/26/11 03:15 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: chaosmagnet]
flinx Offline
Stranger

Loc: OCONUS
Encrypt any computers you have which may have Personal Identifiable Information (PII)( Tax prep software, online shopping, personal photograph, passwords). It may give you a bit of peace of mind and protect you from Identity theft if someone does manage to make off with them.

Truecrypt is a reputable opensource hard disk encryption package. It runs on Windows and Linux. A commercial hard disk encryption package is marketed by PGP Corporation.

No affiliation with either software source.

#215696 - 01/26/11 03:17 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
LED Offline
Veteran

Bottom like, get a monitored alarm installed ASAP. Think of it like insurance. The piece of mind alone might be worth it.

#215697 - 01/26/11 04:42 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: JBMat]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JBMat

Do a walk around of your own house - how and where could you/would you/can you break in? Then fix those areas.

That's why I'm asking about the door. The other tempting entry points (out of sight, relatively quiet entry, and easily accessable) are all easy and inexpensive to harden. The door is the big problem. I can't afford $250 for a captive key deadbolt let alone the $600 it would take to alarm the house. A deadbolt keyed on both sides, while affordable, is a violation of the fire code.

And yes, I do know the normal tips about landscaping, don't advertise, and know your neighbors. Their kids are constantly sending soccer balls over the fence, and until stuff turned up missing I thought it was them.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#215698 - 01/26/11 05:53 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would think if someone was casing you home they would not have left any signs they were there,missing rope so on.i would get a alarm or sign up with ADT or some such company.real crooks know phony cameras.

#215699 - 01/26/11 06:42 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
...I don't anticipate being home if there is another attempt...

Please explain how I may obtain such confidence, thanks.

#215701 - 01/26/11 11:26 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the ideas Dagny. Some great and simple ideas that I think we're going to incorporate at our house.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215702 - 01/26/11 11:32 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some of the advice will depend on where you live. My city isn't that big bug big enough that the police won't respond to alarms and the insurance companies won't give discounts for them. There are enough that false alarms have become too many, I've tried calling the police when I heard an alarm and they get very annoyed.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 225 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.