Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#215459 - 01/22/11 04:37 PM Good old science; or how I plan.
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm very boring. I plan and prep for what is likely to happen -- If it has happened here in the last ten years it will likely happen again. ( Though our '100 year floods' seem to be hitting every 12 years or so...)

So I plan for boring things; storms, 1 day water off, or power out and not the sexy ones like (*insert banned topic of your choice here*) or Godzilla.

I don't plan for everything and I don't have 9 months of food; but I do have working smoke alarms and a flashlight. Pragmatic and boring.

Science and statistics - that's how I roll.

#215461 - 01/22/11 04:48 PM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think it was Roald Amundsen, the arctic explorer, who said (more or less) that "adventure" was just another word for poor planning. Real survival is rather boring, and it is best to keep it that way. Inevitably, there will be plenty of adventure.

#215486 - 01/23/11 01:12 AM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: TeacherRO]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Every day is a survival situation. Stop at a stop sign and you are one set of failed brakes away from massive trauma, bleeding, a potential catastrophic fire and a whole lot of pain and suffering; a survival situation.

Safety, sometimes just being aware and careful, is the boring side of survival. It also provides the best return on investment. Not every survival situation is survivable; but every survival situation you avoid is.

#215487 - 01/23/11 01:30 AM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
i'm the same way. i started by feeling "grown up" by having some extras on hand, then got freaked when i became a parent and tried to prep for everyhing, and now i'm right in the middle of the road, prepping for the most likely scenarios, like waiting out bad weather for a few days, an injury on the trail, on ending up in a ditch and having to wait for a tow, etc.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215507 - 01/23/11 03:45 AM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't know what the rest of the conversation was about, but I overheard a conversation between two women:

"I don't care what I'm short of as long as I've got plenty of diapers."

I'm assuming she had a baby/child.

Sue

#215508 - 01/23/11 03:48 AM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm with you. The zombies will have to wait their turn.

It's like the news, the well-prepared and thinking traveler doesn't make the news, the unprepared and dumb always do.

Sue

#215585 - 01/24/11 08:52 AM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I think it was Roald Amundsen, the arctic explorer, who said (more or less) that "adventure" was just another word for poor planning.

One of my favorite quotes:

Originally Posted By: Roald Amundsen

"I may say that this is the greatest factor -- the way in which the expedition is equipped -- the way in which every difficulty is foreseen, and precautions taken for meeting or avoiding it. Victory awaits him who has everything in order -- luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roald_Amundsen

I do not wish to start a flame war with our British friends about their beloved national hero Robert Falcon Scott, but I believe the difference in the preparations and attitude was paramount in the outcome of the two parallel South Pole expeditions. Every minute tiny detail of the equipment of Amundsen (who succeeded) was scrutinized, tested and improved. They did not include a single item that was not proven field worthy. Compare that with the struggles of Scott (who died in his herculean struggle to get back) to get even started ... (including snow tractors and horses, both of which 1. did not work very well in the snow, 2. broke down/died). I am thoroughly impressed by the stamina and courage of both Amundsen and Scott, but in terms of preparations, it is no doubt that one is a positive example and the other is not.

#215593 - 01/24/11 11:19 AM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Susan
Sue

LOL and shaking my head. Rookie mistake, on so many levels!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215659 - 01/25/11 05:28 PM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nh,

Good point - and an unexpected benefit. For me its basics, basics, basics...And plan at lest a little bit ahead.

Teacher

#215684 - 01/25/11 11:33 PM Re: Good old science; or how I plan. [Re: Susan]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Susan
I don't know what the rest of the conversation was about, but I overheard a conversation between two women:

I'm assuming she had a baby/child.

Sue

...... and I tell you, nothing will wreck your day quicker than not having diapers for the little one.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.