Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#215534 - 01/23/11 06:44 PM Re: Truly Unprepared [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I think your seven year old is a bit brighter than the clueless Dad you were discussing. Sounds like your son is set to deal with uncertainties.

Actually, the tougher task is to educate the parents...

Thanks hikermor. As long as you make it fun, kids are like sponges. They learn without even trying.

Adults can be more like concrete blocks sometimes. wink Let's hope that in this case, the little chidren shall lead the way. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215568 - 01/24/11 03:58 AM Re: Truly Unprepared [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I wouldn't necessarily do all your teaching to a combined group. Get the parents together and scare the pants off them with the horror stories. Ask them to analyze what was done right and done wrong. Ask them what they would have done. Then give each of them a scenario and make them think it through.

With the kids, I think they need to start thinking for themselves, with guidance showing them the differences between what REALLY could be done, and pie-in-the-sky TV thinking. Most kids have only been subjected to TV situations, not real life, and they think the problems will be solved in 30 minutes (less commercial breaks).

Maybe you could make a game out of it. Make out a list of possible scenarios (with any limitations, like no cell phone or dead cell phone) and write each one on a separate piece of paper, folded, and put into a bowl. Let each kid choose one (have extras), then go round discussing each one, with the main objective being getting the kids to think rationally, and letting them add their input, nonsense or not, then work through each suggestion. And if the kids do have some equipment, be sure to include how many more options they have if they have those things with them.

Sue

#215579 - 01/24/11 05:03 AM Re: Truly Unprepared [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I like Sue's approach. Scare the pants of the adults with real world events, then figure out positive ways to enable the kids, giving them strategies to deal with common scenarios.

One thought: kids seem to absorb or integrate this sort of thing if they do it with their own hands. Theoretical knowledge doesn't really connect with behaviour until they do it, hands-on. So, giving scenarios to small groups in a campground or nature area, with resources provided, can keep it interesting and contribute to true learning. For example: give each group a scenario and a location, let them analyze and come up with a plan, then have an adult listen to their plan and give suggestions, and have them implement the plan. And move them to the next station/scenario. Followed by hot chocolate, of course.

My $0.02.

#215587 - 01/24/11 10:19 AM Re: Truly Unprepared [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You guys are awesome! Apologies to hikermor for hijacking the thread. Thanks for all the great ideas Sue and Doug!

#215641 - 01/25/11 01:21 AM Re: Truly Unprepared [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Doug is right about the hands-on approach, but I think a discussion should precede that because of TV contamination. There's no danger in thinking, and kids can think, but they need guidance. What doesn't work is just telling them what they should do... that sticks like water over a duck's back.

Hijacking a thread, how AWFUL! I'm sure that's never happened before.... wink

Sue

#215654 - 01/25/11 10:06 AM Re: Truly Unprepared [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You guys are awesome! Apologies to hikermor for hijacking the thread. Thanks for all the great ideas Sue and Doug!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.