Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#215397 - 01/21/11 02:56 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers - Auto & Home [Re: ducktapeguy]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy

He was spraying the hood of the car but it wasn't having any effect so I told him to pop up the hood of the car. I guess he misunderstood me, he popped the hood the came around front and tried to open the hood and was greeted with a rush of flames and dropped the hood again. Since I didn't have any gloves I was still trying to shoot through the small gap above the radiator, then tried from underneath or through the vents, but with no luck.

Ducktapeguy, popping the hood to address the fire seems to have made the problem worse, right? Firefighters, please chime in on this point: opening the hood feeds the fire with oxygen (instead of keeping the oxygen somewhat deprived by a closed hood holding in smoke and choking out the oxygen) and can lead to a rapid - and potentially explosive - increase in the flames. Its the same concept as not opening doors in a house if there is a fire on the other side. I have seen a few home and apartment fire scenes, and the difference between a fire free flowing between rooms and one that was confined behind a doorway is night and day - the free flowing fire has burned down the surrounding doors to waist height, while the confined fire may produce smoke damage to the same height, but not nearly so much flame damage. In a house this can mean tens of thousands dollars less in damage to home and contents, not to mention a better survival rate for occupants (assuming they GET OUT and keep low).

So I'm a big believer in leaving the fire as is, not popping the hood, get people away from the fire, and waiting for emergency help to arrive. Know your limitations - a 5 lb extinguisher is very limited to address any kind of car fire, and while I will always use it to remove a trapped occupant, I won't rely on it to address an active fire. I may spray it on the fire, but I won't pop the bonnet, as that just feeds the flames. I look upon car fires as a dead loss anyway - that's why folks have insurance.

Eye protection and leather gloves are also required, for any emergency extraction. And something to break a windshield. Keep these in an accessible place in your car (side pocket etc).

#215409 - 01/21/11 07:54 PM Re: Fire Extinguishers - Auto & Home [Re: Lono]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Lono
Eye protection and leather gloves are also required, for any emergency extraction. And something to break a windshield. Keep these in an accessible place in your car (side pocket etc).

Go for a side window if possible. The windshield is much harder to break. Make sure that you have a tool that can cut a seatbelt, too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.