The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#215218 - 01/18/11 07:00 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: bsmith]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I have had limited success with "Boundary" animal repellent spray.

My previous neighbor was putting food out for the ferals, and we had 4 or 5 that liked my backyard (we didn't have dogs). I placed the repellent at the choke points where they entered and exited the yard. It worked for a couple of weeks, but I think they got used to it. The granules might have worked better.

I wanted to use Predator Pee mountain lion urine, but my wife was worried about attracting the real thing.

http://www.petco.com/product/4580/Lambert-Kay-Boundary-Indoor-Outdoor-Dog-and-Cat-Repellents.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/6544/Repel-II-Dog-and-Cat-Repellent.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Cat_1-_-Repel%20II%20Dog%20%26%20Cat%20Repellent-6544

http://www.predatorpee.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LE&Category_Code=MLU

I started chasing them off, but they figured out real quick that when the door opens...run. Getting a clean shot is going to be difficult after a while. If you're really interested in harassing them, consider airsoft. My neighbor has been using them on noisy crows. Otherwise, contact the rescue operation and be prepared for a noisy night when pussy gets caught.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#215281 - 01/19/11 06:14 AM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: bsmith]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Cat breeding season begins in January and continues until Fall. That's where all the noise is coming from.

Ignoring the problem just helps get you surrounded by more cats.

Trap/Neuter/Release (TNR) is probably the easiest way. If you kill 'your' group, more will just move in, and the problem will escalate. True feral cats will never domesticate.

Some groups are very small. They may have some funds for spaying and neutering, and might be able to lend a trap, but you might have to do the trapping and delivery.

Concerned People for Animals, Inc.
PO Box 632, Somis, CA 93066
805-640-6941
Helps with low cost s/n for feral and pet cats living in Ventura County.

Greyfoot Rescue
PO Box 310, Ventura, CA 93002
805-649-4840
This group may have information about low cost or free s/n for cats in Ventura.

People Aiding Feral Cats
1286 Rubicon Ave Ventura, CA 93004
Joan Farber is their registered agent
(805) 659-5145 or pafcats@hotmail.com

Your local animal shelter will probably have a list of groups that can help.

Sue

#215293 - 01/19/11 12:26 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: bsmith]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
I would suggest trapping, fattening and then put em on a spit over a hot smoldering applewood fire, glazing lightly with a little balsamic vinegar & bok choy. Just a thought.

Favorite Coyote meal= feral cat, domesticated cat, house cat, barn cat, cat-a-la-mode... last but not least- Cat in a Hat. Coyotes will eliminate the cat problem.

#215309 - 01/19/11 04:01 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: 6pac]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: 6pac
I would suggest trapping, fattening and then put em on a spit over a hot smoldering applewood fire, glazing lightly with a little balsamic vinegar & bok choy. Just a thought.
laugh

Originally Posted By: 6pac

Favorite Coyote meal= feral cat, domesticated cat, house cat, barn cat, cat-a-la-mode... last but not least- Cat in a Hat. Coyotes will eliminate the cat problem.

for some reason unknown to me there was no visit last night - so it's quite possible the yotes got 'em.

#215311 - 01/19/11 04:07 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: NightHiker]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: haertig
possibilities:
- pellet guns ?

A pellet gun is easily capable of killing a cat given a good (well aimed) shot. A poorly aimed shot will wound, and be more miserable for the animal that a clean kill.

ok. that rules out a pellet gun. thanks!

You could always go with a something a little less lethal but annoying enough to get the cats to find a less hostile home, like a paintball (delivered via paintball marker or slingshot). The drawback is that you've got to be able to see your target and the odds are the ferals aren't just lining up on your fence...and besides that means you've also got to get up in the middle of the night and go after 'em. Trapping them (or much better, having somebody else trap them) is a much better solution IMHO.

you got that right! a) they're not lining up, and b) i don't want to get up.
you're the first with the paintball - i like that one, but ok, i'm lazy, i just don't want to get up.

i'll be in touch w/the local rescue folks to see what options or plans they might suggest.

#215374 - 01/20/11 10:46 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: bsmith]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"for some reason unknown to me there was no visit last night - so it's quite possible the yotes got 'em."

Most of the screaming is the boys fighting over the girl. Once the girl conceives, she goes out of heat, and the game is over until the next girl comes into season, then it starts all over again.

January is just the beginning...

Sue

#215383 - 01/21/11 01:52 AM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: bsmith]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Being this is a survival forum, consider the cats a test case. The largest Havahart live trap will work on everything from small mammals to birds to cats to medium sided dogs.

The catching is not the hard part. Emptying the trap can be a problem. Skunks, for example, are the only animal that demands some thought and planning BEFORE you set the trap! If you set traps for cats, you will catch skunks!

Letting an animal out alive can be quite dangerous without experience. Bobcats are about the most dangerous. Beavers and birds are about the easiest.

With a little practice, the Havahart and a crockpot can be your friend. Add CB caps to the ETS list if you want to be quiet.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#215391 - 01/21/11 12:55 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: ponder]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: ponder
Add CB caps to the ETS list if you want to be quiet.

...?

#215392 - 01/21/11 01:08 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: bsmith]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL

...?

Think subsonic .22 short.

#215398 - 01/21/11 02:57 PM Re: Problem : feral cat yowlers @ 0300 [Re: 7point82]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: 7point82

...?

Think subsonic .22 short.

Thanks for the clue: I KNEW that, but all I could come up with was an image of a tractor-trailer driver singing along with C.W.McCall's "Convoy."

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 257 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.