Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#215352 - 01/20/11 01:08 PM Did someone buy the Camillus Cutlery name?
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Camillus Cutlery USA went bankrupt a couple of years ago. All of a sudden, I see the knife sites flooded with foreign made Camillus branded knives. Did someone buy the name?

If so, it's another hard pill to swallow, as legacy American cutlers fall and their proud old names are exploited.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CM18506

#215355 - 01/20/11 01:37 PM Re: Did someone buy the Camillus Cutlery name? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Camillus was purchased by the Acme United Corporation at a bankruptcy auction. It's an American owned company, however I believe most (if not all) of their knives are made in China. It pretty much has little to do with the original Camillus.

Along the same lines, Schrade cutlery was purchased by Taylor Cutlery (the same people that make the Smith and Wesson knives). Again, I believe all of their knives are made overseas.

With that in mind, all is not lost. Becker Knife and Tool, which used to be a part of Camillus, is now part of Kabar. They are still making great knives right here in the USA. I also believe that Bear and Sons cutlery bought some of Camillus' tooling and continue to use it to make knives right here in the USA.

With Schrade, the former president of the company bought out one of their old buildings and formed Canal Street Cutlery along with a lot of Shrade's former employees. Essentially they are carrying on Schrades legacy. Their knives are more expensive than what Schrade used to produce, but they're also significantly higher quality.

#215366 - 01/20/11 05:43 PM Re: Did someone buy the Camillus Cutlery name? [Re: Paul810]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Camillus was purchased by the Acme United Corporation at a bankruptcy auction. It's an American owned company, however I believe most (if not all) of their knives are made in China. It pretty much has little to do with the original Camillus.

Along the same lines, Schrade cutlery was purchased by Taylor Cutlery (the same people that make the Smith and Wesson knives). Again, I believe all of their knives are made overseas.

With that in mind, all is not lost. Becker Knife and Tool, which used to be a part of Camillus, is now part of Kabar. They are still making great knives right here in the USA. I also believe that Bear and Sons cutlery bought some of Camillus' tooling and continue to use it to make knives right here in the USA.

With Schrade, the former president of the company bought out one of their old buildings and formed Canal Street Cutlery along with a lot of Shrade's former employees. Essentially they are carrying on Schrades legacy. Their knives are more expensive than what Schrade used to produce, but they're also significantly higher quality.

I noticed that Bear and Sons now makes their own version of the Schrade 152 Sharpfinger. It has a Staglon handle just like the premium Schrade Uncle Henry did. I think it comes in rosewood too.

Attachments
BEAR & SON USA SHARPFINGER.jpg

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.