The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#215196 - 01/18/11 03:56 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Went thru the new product center. New stuff from stream light. Long term sandwiches from bridgford (rte sandwiches). very interested in the mtn house fajita kits, that was cool. Leather man sidekick and wingman.

#215204 - 01/18/11 04:34 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Swung by the adventure medical kit booth. Nice guys. Like the core lite and the new bottle idea. Similar to the survival bandanna but on a water bottle. Nice spin.

#215220 - 01/18/11 07:01 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Being a backpacker, the wet fire fuel from ultimate survival technologies looks like a must have... Especially how you can just pick it up in your hand to put it out, and carry it for later... Good stuff...

#215237 - 01/18/11 10:01 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Team Wendy is giving out free beer. Heineken at that.

Met one of the crkt designers, that was very interesting. Most of the manufacturers have really low dealer requirements (except crkt), which really bothers me. I came to the show expecting to have to make some serious commitments but that hasn't been the case. I've made some good connections, but haven't had what I felt was a major score yet.

I was told to expect a lot of swag but we havent seen that. Nor do we see anyone else carrying out a lot of freebies. That's not why you come here but it used to be more common.

The goal zero group had some nice solar stuff. And bashed brunton quite a bit. Still came up short when asked about the construction of their items. Show special is 50% off with them.

Actually a lot of brands have deals going. Ka-bar, crkt, and and more let you just buy stock off the counter.

As a tip, if you are ever going to the shot show, go on Thursday or Friday. I am here tues weds but as the show unwinds it sounds like it gets better.was invited to a party by a flashlight distributor, in addition to the party stuff they said everyone gets 5 or 7 flashlights as parting gifts. I dunno, sounds like fun to me. They had all the brand names. But I'll be leaving tomorrow so it's out. So, parties on Thursday a lot of brands give/sell their stuff on Friday.

I live, you learn.

#215238 - 01/18/11 10:12 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Izzy, My first impression on those was that they were not unique enough. I haven't been to the booth yet, maybe when I get them in hand I'll feel differently. And I'm really keen on leatherman stuff in general.

Oh and the new mountain house fajitias were really good. The chix salad left me cold. although, chix salad isn't really my thing.

#215247 - 01/18/11 11:59 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Visited leatherman. The new items are low end, for entry level. Too bad.

#215252 - 01/19/11 12:51 AM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: ]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip Izzy. I appreciate it.

I hadn't seen the leatherman crunch before, it's a vise-grip style unit. I wouldn't buy it, but, there you are.

Ron hoods new mega knife, marketed thru buck knives, was surprisingly light. I loved it. I'd like to get on for myself.

Also great news, the buck distributor told me that spring assist is legal in texas as of last year. She is sending me the link to the legislation. I'll post it when I get it.

There was a lot of gun brands there, but bad news, I'm mostly interested in survival gear. I wad impressed by aimpoints sights and intro dealer program.

I thought the product that lets you skin a deer with your pickup truck was clever, although not innovative.

#215306 - 01/19/11 03:33 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

A story of preparedness.

So we're at this bar and they have this contest where the loudest side of the bar gets free shots. People start yelling and whistling but Blast pulls out some ultra survival whistle he carries and you can hear him over the whole din.

Although my ears hurt, we got the free shots.

----------

Yesterday we were able to scope out the entire floor, with the exception of the law enforcement side. We should be able to see most of what we are interested in today and be done. This is because we're skimming the firearms section. The most important part of the show might come next, where we spend longer wth certain manufacturers and designers at these parties, but the show floor doesn't need 4 days.

#215310 - 01/19/11 04:05 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: clarktx
Blast pulls out some ultra survival whistle he carries and you can hear him over the whole din.

Although my ears hurt, we got the free shots.

That is made of pure awesome.

#215318 - 01/19/11 06:38 PM Re: Headed to the SHOT show [Re: clarktx]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
It would be great if those at the SHOT show could check out the new HDS Systems "Rotary" flashlight.

http://hdssystems.com/?id=Edc&mType=Rotary

Thanks!

-john

Edited by JohnN (01/20/11 01:37 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.