Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#214460 - 01/06/11 11:46 PM Nice little flashlight ...and cheap
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I dropped by a nearby Home Depot, no affiliation, and near the door they have the deep discount specials. There were the usual collection of multi-bit screwdriver/socket wrench kits, a bundle of two-dozen knit work gloves for $7 and a bin full of small plastic flashlights. What caught my eye was they these flashlights were going for $1.98 each.

They were listed as "6LED Rubber Flashlight" Distributed by "Iron Bridge Tool Inc". Made in China ... naturally. The unit is made of a synthetic rubber/plastic and they are sized to fit into a fist. A bit less than 4" in length and a little thinner in cylindrical section than an inch-and-a-quarter. The switch is recessed into the non-working end and is covered with a nicely textured rubber boot. It has a small split-ring and wrist lanyard fitted near the switch.

They were encased in shrink-wrap plastic so I couldn't explore the insides but they felt pretty solid and had a slight reassuring heft. I figured I couldn't go wrong for less than a buck a pop. I got two in red so they will be easy to find.

Getting them home I found out they came with three AAA batteries installed. These are "heavy-duty" cells, marked "Iron Bridge", I suspect they are zinc chloride cells and inferior to alkaline, but the batteries alone are worth 2$. Interestingly the flashlight doesn't seem to have any manufacturers marks.

What you get for your buck is a handy little LED flashlight with six bright LEDs of good quality. I've thrown one around a bit and other than a few cosmetic scratches it hasn't suffered. After being roughed up I put it into a sink full of water and after an hour it hasn't leaked enough to find any water inside the case. I think it is reliably proof against rain, splashes, being dropped into a puddle.

As far as I can tell after a fair bit of working the switch roughly and some moderate abuse they are reasonably reliable. These are just about cheap enough to be considered disposable but they look like they should last for a good time.

These units are, IMHO, entirely suitable for gifts, stocking stuffing, assembled into give-away emergency kits, or anywhere you might need a small light. Glove box, raincoat pocket, toolbox, one hung on a hook in the garden shed. A whole lot of light for less than two dollars.

I would replace the batteries they come with, perhaps use lithium cells for units that are going to remain forgotten for long time periods, to increase reliability.

I'm considering going back and buying a dozen more.

#214470 - 01/07/11 12:40 AM Re: Nice little flashlight ...and cheap [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They have a bin of single AA single LED ones for $1 at mine, got a couple for the kids. Lowes was clearing out task force headlamps, three LED but coin cell powered for $4 each before Christmas, I bought one of those for each of us.

#214473 - 01/07/11 12:50 AM Re: Nice little flashlight ...and cheap [Re: Art_in_FL]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Thanks for the tip, I'll stop by.

I also found a good buy online at BatteryJunction.com. They're selling a very nice single AAA LED light with headstrap and a visor clip for $7. Includes a battery. I believe the price is reduced because the package states that it has a pocket clip but the listing warns you that the clip is not included.

TerraLux LED flashlight

No affilation but I have been quite please with their service, most orders ship the next day.

#214504 - 01/07/11 03:44 PM Re: Nice little flashlight ...and cheap [Re: Art_in_FL]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've bought button led flashlights for ~ $1 in bulk on ebay...

#216290 - 02/02/11 08:12 PM Re: Nice little flashlight ...and cheap [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Ive kept the unit I beat up on my desk for most of a month now. Even took it out on some small jobs.

Ran into one small issue: The glass in front isn't held in its mount by anything but a light spring. I was working in/near some standing water and after I was done there were a few drops of water inside the case. No big deal. The water shook out and everything dried. Looking closely at it I noted that it doesn't leak if you don't inadvertently press directly on the glass in front. Still good enough as-is.

But I got thinking about how I might make it better. I came up with plan to use some caulk as seal and glue. Took two tries but once I had it down the procedure was simple and easy.

I used a clear siliconized-acrylic-latex caulk I had left over from a project a few years ago. After disassembling the flashlight I laid in a bead where the glass sits after cleaning the area with alcohol and a nylon scrubber. (Most plastics are coated with a parting agent that keeps most everything from sticking to them.) Then I lowered the glass in and reassembled the unit. Reassembled I was able to rinse the excess caulk off the outside of the lens without allowing water to get to the inside of the glass.

Then I disassembled the unit, so the caulk on the inside can dry overnight. Once dry the glass was firmly held in place by the caulk and what little squeezed out on the inside dried crystal clear. I had to look hard to find any. I have confidence this seal will hold a good long time. I've used this caulk many times in the last five years.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Elmers-SqueezN-Caulk-review-7c356

Good stuff, washes/wipes off easily with warm water until it dries. After that it seems impervious. The clear dries pretty close to crystal-clear. Handy. Good caulk, fair adhesive. Stores well. I've had the same small bottle for years. In this case it did the trick.

Not a vital modification. If you don't push on the glass when it is submerged you should never have a problem. With the glass glued/caulked in place it is a non-issue.

The flashlight on my desk has seen a considerable amount of daily use and purposeful abuse and it is still in fine shape. For the price, about $2, if one of the LEDs had dimmed or the switch had become something less than absolutely reliable after a months daily use I would have figured it was a fair enough deal. As it is, color me impressed.

#216321 - 02/03/11 04:23 AM Re: Nice little flashlight ...and cheap [Re: Art_in_FL]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
How to make a cheap flashlight hugely bright:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnkjvEdeIlc

#216746 - 02/09/11 04:58 PM Re: Nice little flashlight ...and cheap [Re: Art_in_FL]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I love to find flashlight bargains. My own bargain flashlight for EDC is a small rayovac LED keychain light I found at Wal-Mart (no affiliations) for about 5 bucks (that was what I paid for mine over a year ago before they lowered the price to $3 frown ). Not sure what the price is on these now. It's the one with the black rubber grippy thing in the middle, about 3 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter flaring to a 3/4 inch diameter at the light end. I've been carrying it around since about October of 2009. Even though there are O-ring seals at both ends, I haven't tested to see how watertight it is but otherwise it has held up amazingly well. Initially, I hooked it on my keychain but the ring that attached the flashlight to a fairly sturdy keychain clip pulled apart, so instead of being carried on my keyring it has been carried in my pocket. Other than that the only other thing is the normal wear and tear of the paint being abraded off on certain points by riding in my pocket with my office keys and my swiss army knife with attached mini plier tool. It used to be hardly noticeable at a glance, but now it is becoming quite worn and more shiny looking in lots of spots. There are also a few tiny nicks and scratches in the metal here or there which hasn't affected the function of the light at all. An easy fix for the ring is to replace it right away with a swiss army knife split ring, although the light has done VERY well riding in my pocket for about a year now. It continues to provide excellent utility at a bargain of a price point. YMMV

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.