Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#209022 - 10/04/10 07:52 PM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

One jungle trick that the SAS uses (verified by a pal who is retired SF) is to keep 2 sets of clothes: one for hiking in the day and one for sleeping in at night. The day set gets (and stays) wet, while you keep the night set in a waterproof bag during the day. It sucks to put on the wet clothes in the morning but it is great to sleep in the dry set at night.

that pre-supposes a tent or that it won't rain at night. I can tell you I carried two sets of clothes and one was just more wet than the other. Though I will say that airing out your feet at (typically) night is critical if you're in the bush for more than a day or two.

If it was not on the list, I would add decent gloves. The elephant grass there will cut your hands to bits.

#209039 - 10/05/10 12:34 AM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Welcome to Malaysia, Bigrr,

There are a few Malaysians lurking on this forum, so hopefully they'll chip in.

I guess it all depends on how far off the beaten track you go.

I'm no expert, but here are some things off the top of my head.

A parang (machete) is useful as a multitool. Get one of the local ones made from truck springs. They may have a wooden sheath or none at all.

Yeah, leather sheaths don't last long.

Bead blasted blades attract rust.

Malaria meds don't always work and they can cause memory loss. I've stopped taking them. Better to wear longs and use repellent at sundown.

If you're going to be in the jungle for some time, yes its important to dry your feet at the end of the day. I've heard that troops are taught to dry their feet at the end of the day, use foot powder and keep a pair of socks dry for days' end and swap them out for the wet ones the next day.

Bamboo is ridiculously useful.

Instant noodles are your friend.

No MREs here but you can buy curries in retort pouches from the Brahim's brand.

I've slept under the stars, in a tent, under a tarp and currently use a hammock. Tents are usually too hot. Many people I know just use a tarp.

If you're really interested in local bushcraft skills, get to know the villagers of the indigenous tribes.

Which part of Malaysia are you at?

I'm not aware of any local dedicated outdoor forums. Most revolve around another activity like off roading, knives, etc.

BTW, you do need to eat durian at some point. Hahaha.

Edited by fooman (10/05/10 02:09 AM)

#209050 - 10/05/10 02:08 AM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Many villagers swear by the "Adidas Kampung"(Village)shoe. Its a one piece moulded rubber shoe with rubber studs in the sole. It has stripes painted on the side, hence the Adidas. smile

#209063 - 10/05/10 05:10 AM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Susan]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Susan
I would carry a good gob of long-burning tinder.

Sue

With much deforestation coming from palm oil plantations, you can used crushed palm oil fruit and use that to help start fires.

#214186 - 01/03/11 12:06 PM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
Bigrr Offline
Stranger

Loc: Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Thanks for all the tips!!

I have been out a few times now and this is what I have learned...

The jungle is wet...No really, between the rivers, puddles, rain, and your own sweat you are not dry very often. So the advice about keeping dry is useful. All the high tech rain gear is worse than a simple umbrella and cheap rubber shoes (Adidas Kampung) are best.
Yes your pack needs a rain cover...The jungle has a way of defeating the best waterproof coatings.

My high dollar hiking boots from the US lasted one day...the soles fell off even on my Tevas. So far the Shoe Goo is working.

Tents are hot...and don't float well and need a flat clear space, so a hammock and a large tarp is the only way to go.
Even if there aren't any mosquitoes (ha ha yeah right) a mosquito net makes you feel protected.

I still don't believe HOW ridiculously useful bamboo is! You know you can cook in this stuff? I've cooked rice and boiled water in green bamboo! Not to mention building tables and anything else you can think of.

The jungle is wet... oh I said that. So everything in the jungle is wet...The wood for your fire, the ground your fire's on, so getting a fire started is hard, keeping it burning is hard. Strips of old inner tube and a lighter help, build a green bamboo rack over your fire and stack the wood on it to dry...and protect the fire once its started. It will rain.

They don't have Coleman propane here, or white gas. So liquid fuel stoves burn unleaded petrol...messy. Or kerosene, also messy. Ditto for lanterns.
People here use cheap butane stoves from China with the bayonet style cans or Campingaz

Curries in retort pouches are good. Maggi mee (dried noodles aka top raman) is my friend. There are a lot good things to eat in the jungle; fish, crawdads,fruit (bananas, mango, rambutan, coconuts, and even durian yes I have eaten it)

Parangs are the best jungle tool there is! The locals make some really beautiful blades and wooden sheaths.

Nylon tarps lots and lots you need them.

Monkeys are noisy, nosy, and messy.

Leeches suck! pun intended... So leech socks are a good idea.

The jungle is an awesome place!!!!

#214194 - 01/03/11 03:38 PM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
comms Offline
Veteran

yes it is.

#214197 - 01/03/11 04:00 PM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Bigrr, I'm glad your having fun, the jungle in Asia and south America has everything you need to survive for indefinite amount of time, you just need to know where to get it as you are finding out. It is funny how each country has their choices of tools, Parang where you are at, bolos in Philippines, machetes in Central America, kukri's in India, etc.. The one thing I loved the most was the mosquitoes did not make any noise like they do in America. It's bad enough getting bit but that irritating buzzzzz all the time was torture. We built our shelters out of bamboo off the ground and kept that fire always going to keep the little pests away. I never could get a fire started with rubbing the bamboo together, I suppose if I was there long enough I would hope to eventually get it. We made the rice steamers like you did out of bamboo over the fire, cooked the bat wings, etc.. and got the water from the vines and bamboo cells with the bamboo straw. Have you made your bamboo crossbow for hunting yet. I didn't master that one as well, I definitely wish I had more time to in the jungle, also keep eating that malaria plant, forgot what they call it but it works, the locals will show you. Good luck and have fun, it's a learning experience of a lifetime. When you figure it out, then go for desert, winter and ocean training.

#214204 - 01/03/11 04:42 PM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
comms Offline
Veteran

In SE Asia, I didn't mind the mosquito's much though was liberal with the bug dope. But those fly's....

To this day I still hate fly's.

#214252 - 01/04/11 03:01 AM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A lot depends on the particular jungle. Locations with nearby areas that drain and dry out make a fire much easier and much more practical.

Lowlands, and other places that never dry and pretty much everywhere in the rainy season, can makeing a fire a major problem as absolutely everything can be saturated. Getting a fire going is just the beginning as finding sufficient material to keep it going can be a trick. A handy method is to keep a considerable amount of wood close to the fire to dry so you are manufacturing your own firewood. Laying a couple of small saplings across the fire gives you a place to work off and both dries and cuts the wood for you.

Of course, if you are traveling through, or working hard at getting out or rescues, as opposed to taking up housekeeping, spending that sort of time and energy to maintain a fire for a night is impractical. A more practical approach is to bring a stove or some sort and use fuel you carry in. A small stove is practical because it pays you for the weight with faster setup, quick cooking, and energy savings not having to work hard as assembling/ maintaining a fire. Staying well above freezing butane stoves are light, cheap, and effective.

Also, as most people know, jungles are buggy. The variety and numbers is what shocks people. Do not underestimate how buggy it can get. Have a spare head net on hand. Lightweight and cheap there is no reason not to. A reserve supply of bug juice, the tiny travel bottles are handy, is wise.

A hammock is a big help keeping critters off you, getting you above the wet ground, and keeping air moving so your skin won't rot. A horizontal line rigged over the hammock to hold a tarp and mosquito net makes a nice shelter that keep you dry from water from above and below and the crawling and flying beasties.

Bring your walking stick with you. Some jungles are notorious for having no solid wood that isn't three feet in diameter or one hundred feet above ground. A walking stick is handy for swampy and uneven ground, and crossing the creeks that form in a few hours when it rains.

Jungles are also sometimes dry. Everything may be saturated but after the rain stops and water runs off or soaks in finding water to drink can be a trick. Some vines and plant stems can store considerable amounts of water. Learn about the plants that hold water in your area. Given the possible difficulties boiling water plan of using a filter or chemical treatment.

#214259 - 01/04/11 05:32 AM Re: Jungle Survival [Re: Bigrr]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I don't have any experience with survival in a jungle, a desert, the Arctic Ocean and many other places.

However, I am reading a book that seems to cover every type of environment on the face of the earth:
http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Handb...2512&sr=8-2

Much of the book is dry and technical, which are indications to me that it's pretty good. I did some research on the author, and he appears to be the real thing. I have no affiliation.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.