Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#213761 - 12/28/10 07:03 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dweste
Nice.
Are these strictly for annuals and intended to be refurbished each season / year?

Wouldn't Houston's humidity and heat allow water harvest in summer by solar still to feed into the system?

Overflow water capture system?

These can be used for either annuals or perennials. Several of the plants I'll be growing have a two-year lifespan so they won't be harvested until 2012...assuming the world hasn't ended. shocked

I'm not sure how one would set up a solar still that would catch evaporating water but not overheat the plants. If you have some ideas I'd love to hear them.

As for capturing the overflow water, that's not much of an issue. The overflow hole is right in front where I can see it so I stop adding water at the first sight of water trickling out of the hole. Sidenote: I placed the overflow holes on the ugliest side of the buckets thinking they would be turned towards the raised bed behind the buckets, leaving the nice, pristine white side of the buckets in view. Then I realized I couldn't tell when the buckets were full of water, so now I'm looking at the ugly side. blush

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#213763 - 12/28/10 07:06 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jesselp

Do you need to use food grade buckets? Would toxins from non-food-grade buckets, or buckets that previously held chemicals leach into whatever foodstuffs you were growing?

Yes, luckily food for eateries comes in food-grade buckets. grin

That being said, I don't have much fear of chemicals being leached out of the buckets or being absorbed by the plants.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#213765 - 12/28/10 07:12 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Bill_Mead]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bill_Mead
I have been looking to do something like this also but have had difficulty finding vermiculite locally. I will have to get back on task for spring.

BTW I have a nice batch of canna lilies I have grown from seeds thanks to another one of your posts.

Any chemicals I order at work arrive sealed in a jar which is sealed in a bag filled with vermiculite, which itself is sealed in a can filled with vermiculite which is sealed in another bag filled with vermiculite which is sealed in a box filled with vermiculite. laugh

I don't have any idea where non-chemists can get loads of vermiculite. Pearlite can be used, but it's not very cheap, either. I wonder if coarsely-ground charcoal would work?

Enjoy the canna lilies. Mashed with butter and garlic, people will rave about your potatoes. wink

-Blast

#213785 - 12/28/10 11:17 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Blast]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
You can find vermiculite at McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). They are an industrisl supply house.

usual disclaimer.

#213793 - 12/29/10 01:28 AM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Vermiculite has become a lot harder to find, and less desirable generally, because some of it was shown to include asbestos. The Libby mine in Montana was shown to contain asbestos, something Libby was well aware of. The production of the Libby mine was widely marketed for a variety of uses and a large proportion of the vermiculite marketed in the US sold before the mid-90s is assumed to be contaminated.

http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/verm.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

Later mining has undertaken a testing program to make sure the vermiculite is free of asbestos. It has to be noted that these programs are largely operated by the companies doing the mining. The effectiveness of the testing is being reviewed.

The bottom line is vermiculite has lost market share as people have shifted to alternatives.

The alternative offered, even as it is admitted to have different physical quality, is Pearlite.

#213806 - 12/29/10 04:12 AM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Perlite was pretty cheap when I bought it in a large bag from a building materials place, far, FAR cheaper than a nursery. The bag was about 36" tall x 18" wide or so. I use it for concrete and planting. At some places, it comes in different sizes.

Check and see if you have a Mutual Materials around you. They're mainly a wholesaler, but the one here has absolutely no problem selling retail.

Sue

#213821 - 12/29/10 01:08 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Blast]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
This a great idea. I'm going to try several of these with tomato plants on the south side of the house when (if?) the glacier recedes from my yard this spring.

#213843 - 12/29/10 05:12 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I've bought 4 cubic foot bags of it at my local Agway, for those of you in the northeast:
http://www.agway.com/store_locator.html

Try to find it locally at all costs, the shipping is a killer because it is so bulky (yet light).

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#213847 - 12/29/10 05:31 PM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nice setup. But you're killing me -- I can't even think of such a thing until April. frown

#213898 - 12/30/10 03:17 AM Re: Self-watering 5-gallon growing containers [Re: Blast]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

There is some info at Vermiculite.COM--a guide on how and where to purchase vermiculite in the United States and the world., basically, pool suppliers are supposed to carry it

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.