Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212804 - 12/10/10 04:06 PM Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry
GoatMan Offline

I'm in the evaluation process of gadgets. An average techy, I'm specifically interested in feedback from other HAM operators. Regardless of the gadgets discussed, I always carry the essentials with me. cool

On a recent elk hunt, I was packing a cell phone, FRS/GMRS radio, GPS and HT with rollup twin lead antenna. All are small, compact and efficient. But one begins to wonder, what is the proper balance of preparedness/effectiveness. The "light & fast" vs "slow and prepared" debate comes into play.

Some factors I take into account:
  • I've always felt an external antenna on a cell phone is important for backcountry travel. My EDC phone doesn't have one, but I simply move my SIM card into another phone when I enter the back country. My personal experience has shown they get better reception in remote areas. I'll always take a reliable cell phone.
  • I have a Garmin eTrex Vista with maps for my specific region. Lightweight, good battery life, waterproof, etc. Not the Lexus of GPS units, but size and weight factor in for me. It makes me more likely to carry it and I use it afield to mark a weigh point for my vehicle, trailhead, downed game, etc. Oh, comes in useful if you are lost as well.
  • When hunting, assents and backcountry travel with like minded folks, I carry a FRS/GMRS radio with acclaimed 36-mile range. I know its limits, which is important. But water resistant construction, good antenna length and quality, adjustable Tx power and rechargeable batteries with the option to use any other AA is important. They come in useful when you are spread out while hunting. Had clear communication 23 miles away on mountain ridges at 5 watts. Can't complain about that. We used them regularly.
  • For emergency purposes, I took along my Yaesu VX-7R HT HAM radio and a home made twin-lead 2M antenna. Knowing the local repeater frequency, this was my emergency communication backup plan. HAMs always encourage others to have their radios with them for that exact purpose.

The hunting area I was in was remote, so I felt it justified all four items. Now as I start reading up on PLBs, the FastFind 210 finds its way to the top of the gadget list. But I must start to wonder, is it necessary to have all five gadgets on a similar hunt or like back country outing?? Weight and space and sanity hang in the balance.

I've historically been a slow and prepared type. But I have been migrating more towards the light and fast mentality. I'll always go with the basic essentials, cell phone, etc. But on outings, I've found I travel the back country faster and more comfortably, enjoying the overall experience more, when I'm lighter.

So my questions for the group, particularly fellow HAMs, where is your gadget balance of need to have vs nice to have on more remote travel? Particularly in areas where you may see no one and there may be no trail...

#212806 - 12/10/10 04:22 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
<cell phone, FRS/GMRS radio, GPS and HT >

None of these work in a remote area by accident. If you have assured yourself that one does, so be it.

The PLB is the ONLY item that will call out the rescue team in short order to the exact spot you decided to break your leg.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#212807 - 12/10/10 04:40 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
You might want to look into the Garmin Rino 520HCx and 530HCx. They combine a GPS and a GMRS/FRS radio into one unit. I've had good luck with them and it helps to cut down on the gear I carry.

For me, it also makes a lot of sense to have them combined, as they're probably my two most used electronic devices while out on the sticks, other than maybe my flashlight.

I'm not a HAM, but my typical outdoor electronics gear includes a cell phone, GPS, GMRS/FRS two-ways, and an AM/FM/Shortwave radio....so it's somewhat comparable. Except, with the Rino, it ends up only be three devices instead of four. (Other than when I'm in the car, where I've got a CB.)

Edit: I don't have a PLB, but it is on my list of things to get eventually. With that said, I'm kind of waiting for them to get even smaller. They're getting there, but I want one that's roughly the size of my cell phone...so I can attach it to my belt and always have it with me.

Edited by Paul810 (12/10/10 04:44 PM)

#212808 - 12/10/10 04:52 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: Paul810]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I carry a PLB and my cell-phone. The radios are just extra weight.

#212815 - 12/10/10 05:50 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I can see with a group that intends to scatter why you carry the radios and besides, that is your thing. Nothing wrong with that. I got into the outdoors before any of these goodies were available, so I am comfortable carrying none of them, but I have used a GPS for nearly twenty years (at first, a professional application) and my wife has dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the twenty-first century, so I regularly ( usually -well a lot of the time) carry a cell phone. I have been impressed with the coverage I have experienced, even in fringe areas.

As these gadgets get smaller and lighter, I will be open to including more of them on my outings.

None of these diminish the need to carry some variation of the classic Ten Essentials, including FAK and other critical items. Circumstances may be such that a timely intervention by SAR is not going to happen. You, yourself, are the best source of immediate emergency aid.

#212819 - 12/10/10 07:49 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
GoatMan Offline

Originally Posted By: ponder
The PLB is the ONLY item that will call out the rescue team in short order to the exact spot you decided to break your leg.

Can't argue that; however, if I have the means to radio in help a mile away, I don't have to wait 6-18 hours and end up on the news the next day.

Originally Posted By: Paul810
You might want to look into the Garmin Rino 520HCx and 530HCx.

I've thought about the Rino a number of times. The ability to send your location automatically helps as well, especially for those who struggle with programming their own GPS. I like the ability to only take one or the other and haven't justified owning all three for that level of flexibility and convenience. It still floats in my mind though. I guess the GPS is in my pack 98% of the time.

Originally Posted By: Russ
The radios are just extra weight.

The radios are intended for when your group is spreadout or keeping tabs on kids. It doesn't require a cell tower to work and like I mentioned earlier, you can radio your buddy on the next ridge if things go south.

If I'm hiking in areas where I am likely to pass people on a trail, I leave the HT, scale down the GMRS to a lighter smaller unit and the GPS is often left at home.

#212828 - 12/10/10 10:00 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
is there an external antenna someone can recommend...preferable omnidirectional that can be used to multiply signal strength by induction?... my StarTac doesn't have an external antenna, though gives good reception in most places

#212830 - 12/10/10 10:06 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Had clear communication 23 miles away on mountain ridges at 5 watts.

May I ask what GMRS radio you're using with 5 watts? I'm having trouble finding them nowadays, since the manufacturers switched to FRS/GMRS combo units with a max of 2 watts.

My wife and I carry our GMRS radios into the wilds (of Frys Electronics, Macy's, Lowes, and other huge stores) so we can keep in touch without having to stay together. I find them more convenient than cell phones, since it's just push-to-talk. To each his own. GMRS also makes sense out in the woods when there are no cells; we use our GMRS radios at Burning Man, e.g.

Ham HTs generally have 5W (the Yaesu V7 does, for example), and better antennas, so I'd prefer amateur radios in the woods if my health depended on it and others in the group were hams, but few people are licensed amateurs.

When Louise and I camp in Death Valley on Thanksgivings, we rent a satellite phone and take it with us, because we can't count on cell coverage, and there are no amateur repeaters in the area. We have HF, but why try to get out to someone in an emergency when we can call local hospitals and tow companies (we bring a list of numbers with us). With a satphone, we know we got through, we know help's on the way, and we know they can reach us back if need be. Of course, we're in the van, so weight, size, and such are irrelevant.

If you've got HTs and the 2M J-pole and you know you can hit local repeaters, I'd say that works as well as satphones and better than PLBs, assuming there are enough repeaters you can actually raise someone 24 hours a day.

In the end, it's all a compromise. You can have a bag full of stuff and be safe but not able to carry it all or you can have a bag you can carry but leave out that one item that would have saved you but was too heavy. :-> If I were in a remote area, I'd choose the satphone myself if I were confident I'd be alone and outside cell & amateur reach.

#212832 - 12/10/10 11:54 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I carry a map and a compass. Not real high-tech, but no batteries are required so I save weight. Not being a gram nazi, I don't even cut the maps down, so if I do get lost I am still probably on the mapsheets. Also, I've never seen a compass fail to get a signal. And the maps now are almost good enough to be loaded into electronic devices, except the maps are much lighter and don't require batteries or a PHD in electronics to operate.

I have a PLB in case I get hurt, but as I seldom (read that as never) solo, unless both of us in the party are hurt and immobile, I guess I won't be using it. I don't own a cell phone or satphone. I do have some walkie/talkies, but as my partner and I seldom stray out of shouting range, I won't carry them either.

Primitive is sometimes better.

#212861 - 12/11/10 04:05 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I'm pretty satisfied with my RINO 130. GPS & FRS in the same package. I've seen 7 miles (by GPS) using a low-end Motorola Talkabout FRS radio when the path was truly line-of-sight.

I ought to carry a PLB but haven't committed to it yet.

Cellphone only goes when I'll be on ridgetops.
Ham HT only goes when I think there's any chance I could make a repeater. (which means rarely)

Ham radio generally has little to do with my outdoor activities.

But here's an epic "radio hike" where the HT was central to the safe execution of the plan:

http://estes.on-line.com/rmnp/reports/HighDivide.html

de NW0U

#212879 - 12/12/10 04:06 AM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I normally carry a PLB (fastfind), HT (ft-60R) Cell Phone & gps. My partner, Gloria is also a ham so we use our radios a lot. If we are hiking in remote areas, I leave the vehicle radio (D-700) in crossband mode linking us to a suitable repeater. If we are in "self rescue" areas like the nearby military training area, we make sure there is someone capable of assisting us, monitoring the repeater. Not all the areas are covered by repeaters though.

The PLB is the real "last resort" item. The other gear provides other service, but is not intended as primary safety equipment. That said, I would try to get assistance with all the other gear before resorting to the PLB.

I guess I have been packing this stuff so long that I really don't notice the weight.

The PLB has really eased our minds a lot. This is especially true when one of us is hiking alone.

Nomad

#212898 - 12/12/10 11:04 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Depends on situation, but generally less is better. Add batteries.

#212945 - 12/13/10 02:58 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: unimogbert]
GoatMan Offline

Originally Posted By: philip
May I ask what GMRS radio you're using with 5 watts?

I have a Midland GXT795VP4. Newer versions exist as well.

#212949 - 12/13/10 04:42 PM Re: Are you a HAM? Gadgets in the backcountry [Re: GoatMan]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Like JBMatt, I often just carry a map and compass backed up with a PLB. I often travel solo so I don't often need (or want) to talk to others. For work and SAR I have a GPS and an Aviation Band portable (in and out by helicopter), business band or GMRS radio's and the like as needed. Ham is nice, but I have found much better coverage with the Aviation Band, and have carried it in very remote areas (Alaska, overseas) before PLB's and SAT Phones were available. Seldom found a place I could not listen to the airlines on center frequencies, and talk to them if needed.

I guess I am like the fellow Calvin Ruttrum talks about who watched the boat sail away from a northern Canada shore in the '30's and said "At least now if we holler for help, no one will hear us" :-)

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (12/13/10 04:43 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.