Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#212739 - 12/09/10 02:27 AM Re: Battery selection, storage and chemistry [Re: Phaedrus]
LED Offline
Veteran

You can buy bored Surefire Z2 bodies (or send yours in for modification) from places like Oveready.com or from modders on Candlepowerforums. But upgrading to single cell 3.7V Li-Ion is a bit of work. You need a good charger, quality batteries (AW, Redilast), and then decide on size and chemistry. 18650 refers to the battery measurements BTW, 18mm diameter, 65mm in length, and 0 means its a cylindrical cell. AA is 14500, CR123 is 16340, etc. If you wanna make a quick leap to rechargeables my advice would be to go with LiFePO4 RCR123 batteries. Its a much safer chemistry, they're 3V, which means you use them just like you're using the CR123 primaries you've got now. I've been using Tenergy LiFePO4 batteries and charger from Batteryjunction for awhile now and they're great. The runtime is a bit less but they charge quickly and are very durable. If you're interested in doing some reading at the battery section of Candlepowerforums you can make a more informed decision on what you want to do.

#212747 - 12/09/10 04:54 AM Re: Battery selection, storage and chemistry [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I haven't been over to Candlepowerforums in a while but I might have to check it out. Thanks for the tips.

#212966 - 12/13/10 09:08 PM Re: Battery selection, storage and chemistry [Re: chaosmagnet]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm not aware of any mass-market AA or AAA-using device that won't take lithium primaries or NiMH rechargeables.
My Garmin GPSMap 60Cx won't take fresh lithium AAs. The voltage is slightly too high, and it shuts down. If you discharge them a bit, they're OK. It's a pain to have to do that. I basically have a pair of Li AA spares that are more or less dedicated to the GPS.

I use a variety of AAs. Alkalines for cheapness; they get used in low-drain devices like remote controls. Lithium for emergencies and spares, for their long life, lightness and cold-weather performance. Eneloops for day to day use. I have several chargers, including a Maha and ones that will run off a car lighter socket. I also have solar panel chargers that ought to work, although I don't have much faith in them.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
One of the advantages of not standardizing is that whatever kind of battery I find, chances are I have a flashlight that will work with it.
I used to prefer diversity too, and I still have some old torches that work on weird batteries, including a Surefire U2. However, technology has now passed it by and I have a tiny Nitecore D10 that uses a single AA and out-performs the U2 in every way (except UI). It's always in my pocket, which the U2 couldn't be for size reasons.

I have found standardising on AA to be hugely beneficial. On my last holiday I took 2 chargers instead of 5. I can move batteries between non-essential equipment, like the shaver or the camera, and put them where-ever I need them most.

The drawback of AA is that in a crisis they will be the first to disappear from stores. You can't rely on being able to buy them at will. Which for me just means I stockpile them in largish numbers.

Since one AA Eneloop will give enough light to read by for 50 hours, you don't really need that many for any reasonable disaster. For very long term disasters, rechargeable is the only way to go. Either solar power, or else siphon petrol from the cars of the people who already got wiped out by the zombies\b\b\b\b\b\bdisaster and use it to power a car charger.

#212984 - 12/14/10 01:21 AM Re: Battery selection, storage and chemistry [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My Etrex Legend mentioned a shutdown with Lithium in an old firmware version, maybe there is an update for your 60. I had already updated past that version and used eneloops since I bought it anyway.

#212988 - 12/14/10 02:44 AM Re: Battery selection, storage and chemistry [Re: Brangdon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
My Garmin GPSMap 60Cx won't take fresh lithium AAs. The voltage is slightly too high, and it shuts down. If you discharge them a bit, they're OK.

That's very surprising! Good to know, too.

It occurs to me that with the right resistor you should be able to use those fresh lithiums. I wonder if a penny would work.

Quote:
The drawback of AA is that in a crisis they will be the first to disappear from stores. You can't rely on being able to buy them at will. Which for me just means I stockpile them in largish numbers.

My experience has been the opposite. When a mountain pass in Colorado got hammered by a snowstorm, the only gas station around was out of every sort of battery other than AAs. They're the one kind of battery I've always been able to find in stores no matter what the circumstance. But as you say, it's foolish to rely on availability in stores. I stockpile a significant number of batteries, primarily AAs, AAAs and CR123As.

Quote:
Since one AA Eneloop will give enough light to read by for 50 hours, you don't really need that many for any reasonable disaster. For very long term disasters, rechargeable is the only way to go. Either solar power, or else siphon petrol from the cars of the people who already got wiped out by the zombies\b\b\b\b\b\bdisaster and use it to power a car charger.

If we divide disasters into short term (less than 7 days), medium term (7-30 days) and long term (30+ days), my preparations are designed for the short and medium term. I've got more than enough batteries for that, even assuming significant usage at higher outputs. Solar isn't reliable and it's awfully slow without a significant non-portable investment. I'd rather save gas for other things.

While you've decided to handle your battery-related preparedness differently than I have, it's clear to me that you've been thoughtful and it sounds like what you're doing works well for you.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.