Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212606 - 12/08/10 12:50 AM Re: North Atlantic drift is gone. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]Dr. Gianluigi Zangari also has a Phd ...[quote]

Let's see. Red flags include, but are certainly not limited to:

His expertise is in theoretical physics so his opinions on this subject are about as your local plumbers opinions on medical treatments.

The support of an established climatologist, oceanographer would have added some credibility. Their absence is conspicuous.

His article is not backed by experimentation or rigorous research. It is not presented in a way which allows it to be checked. It isn't presented to any authoritative body. It wasn't peer reviewed or critiqued by people who work in relevant fields. The paper is below the standard of what would pass for a high-school term paper. Despite the many colorful pictures the fact is that it does not present the raw data or how the supporting conclusions are drawn.

It is a series of assertions unsupported by well founded scientific evidence leading to wild speculations.

#212728 - 12/09/10 12:36 AM Re: North Atlantic drift is gone. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Central England has in the last 2 weeks recorded the lowest average temperature since 1659 since records began. i.e. colder than the recorded temperatures at the height of the little ice age. This is currently the harshest winter weather that has been experienced in living memory in Scotland yet we are still only in the first week of December. I suspect we haven't seen anything yet to what is going to happen in the next couple of months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Even Loch Lomand has begun to almost freeze completely over as seen in todays Satellite photo .

Apparently even Cancun in Mexico reported a record low temperature (the loop current passes directly by) of 54F on Tuesday.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather

#212744 - 12/09/10 04:05 AM Re: North Atlantic drift is gone. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Loch Lohmand is UN-Recognizable,What about The Distilleries,They've got to be taking a Big Hit on all this Foul-Weather?Though they are probably Selling Very Well,because of it!I hope this doesn't Kill the supply of Brisling Sardines,They are my Favorite source of Omega Vitamins!I'm guessing Am Ferly Mor is surviving OK,But Aqualung is suffering,Yes? Hang In There Man!

#212770 - 12/09/10 04:36 PM Re: North Atlantic drift is gone. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Dunno about Loch Lomand, but the record low temps in Cancun are clearly being caused by the Global Warming Conference being held there.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#212961 - 12/13/10 08:43 PM Re: North Atlantic drift is gone. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Third: Right now, the cold spell over Northern Europe is not linked to anything out of the ordinary in the ocean dynamics of the Atlantic ocean.
Last time I looked, we were blaming the jet stream, ie the atmosphere.

#213020 - 12/14/10 04:20 PM Re: North Atlantic drift is gone. [Re: Brangdon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Third: Right now, the cold spell over Northern Europe is not linked to anything out of the ordinary in the ocean dynamics of the Atlantic ocean.
Last time I looked, we were blaming the jet stream, ie the atmosphere.

Exactly, but to keep things short I omitted that part.

"Blaming" is a bit odd wording, though. We can pretty much explain the "WHAT"'s and the "HOW"'s of the weather pattern of the day, week and month. But the "WHY" is a bit more tricky - in particular WHY do we have that particular weather pattern RIGHT NOW (and why not, in say, December 2004?) All those components (jet stream, storm paths, individual storms, polar front) are linked together in a highly dynamical system. Playing the "blame game" with those components doesn't seem very helpful to me. On the other hand, I will give credit to anyone trying to convey the complexity of the system and how it behaves: "The jet stream does this and we see that result on the surface".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 517 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
13 minutes 37 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.