Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#21153 - 11/10/03 02:32 PM GPS Tracking Project.
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
If you are interested in GPS tracking technology, you might be interested in a project I am playing with. The amateur radio community (hams) has a rather extensive GPS tracking system that integrates with the Internet. It is called Amateur Position Reporting System. (APRS).

The system was designed as an experiment in tactical communications by an instructor at the Naval Academy and has messaging, emergency beacon, weather advisory and a host of other components, but I will only describe the GPS component here.

I have two beacon transmitters (one in the camper, one in the truck) that beacon my position at regular intervals. This is picked up by either local ground based stations, a small navy satellite or the space station (ISS) and relayed to the Internet.

There are several Internet sites that then display my location in real time (about a 30 second delay). Some sites show the local weather radar scan with my location, nice for storm planning. Others store the beacons and display the track (bread crumb trail). I used this component when driving from Bangor Maine to Tampa Florida.

I can also receive the locations of others in the local (user defined range but 300 miles works well) and the display on my radio will let me drive right to them. In most communities, hospitals, emergency centers, Red Cross shelters and many similar sites have these transmitters.

The system integrates with the Garmin Street Pilot GPS I have mounted on my instrument panel. This provides real-time mapping with the location of other participants displayed.

The most interesting point of all this is having my location available to anyone at any time. Needless to say it is a “weird” feeling. All of the “they are gonna get you” feelings surface and for awhile I expected the baddies to come storming in at midnight. However, quite the reverse is true. We are nomads, moving almost constantly and my daughter reports being comforted by being able to know where I am at any time. When I drop off the trailer someplace and take off in the truck, Gloria is able to track my bearing and distance with the radio system (Kenwood TM-D700).

Probably by next week we will all have this as GPS locator information is being built into most cell phones (at least in the US). There are a variety of commercial sites that are preparing to provide similar information (at a price of course). Track your kids, your dog, your …. Whatever.

Give it a look by going to my web site and clicking on a link to the map. I am designated by my amateur calln N1AHH. Scroll down the page and click on the satellite photograph of my present location. There are two URL's, use the ACME one. I can’t believe how accurate it is. We are under that clump of trees with the red circle (bulls eye?) superimposed.

My site is:
www.nomads-notebook.com
Then click on “HERE” under the present position section on the first page.

For further information on this project, google APRS.

Edited by Nomad (11/10/03 03:57 PM)

#21154 - 11/10/03 04:35 PM Re: GPS Tracking Project.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nomad:

I'm glad to hear that you are having fun with APRS. I remember playing with the original DOS APRS system with only the state level maps and thinking "gee, this is fun but what good is it?" That was the dark ages of APRS. Since then I have met the brothers Sproul (designers of MACAPRS) and seen how the technology/system has advanced. It is still fun and now practical.

Chris

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 99 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.