Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#211292 - 11/13/10 09:58 PM Grow your own food - get a Lawyer.
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A little crazy internet story here. Any truth to it? Though the way things seem to be headed I don't know anymore.

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/s-510-is-hissing-in-the-grass/

The black helicopters circling overhead as the SWAT teams grab your illegally grown spuds, onions and beetroots. crazy

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/13/10 11:06 PM)

#211301 - 11/14/10 11:06 AM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
No of course there's no truth in it. Do a search on that act and look on the Congress web site. The act contains none of this nonsense.
No offence meant; but this is not a survivalist site. Why bring up these obvious fantasies?
qjs

#211322 - 11/14/10 05:56 PM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Sometimes the dangers are not what is said, but in what is not said, the loopholes that are left open.

Here in WA, a bill was just voted on to create (currently none) an income tax JUST for people whose incomes exceeded $200,000/$400,000. Do you honestly think the politicians wouldn't circumvent those limits when they needed money more to spend?

We have state and city governments here in WA NOW that are openly doing illegal things. Will they stop voluntarily? No.

Sue

#211325 - 11/14/10 07:04 PM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
No of course there's no truth in it. Do a search on that act and look on the Congress web site. The act contains none of this nonsense.

This is quite an interesting development but to say there is no truth in the claims made for the Food Safety Modernization Act S510 rings a little hollow especially after watching this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G15I-z-4w0

It appears that Food safety bill is all encompassing requiring all food producers (no matter the size or organisation i.e. anyone who produces food on any scale) will be subject to this bill.

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/seeds-how-to-criminalize-them/

This link basically sums up the controversy including such items as seed contamination. It can be well argued that even this small aspect of the bill gives the Government the ability to determine what constitutes seed contamination. Once on that slippery slope then the government then decides which suppliers of seeds have licenses to produce uncontaminated seed. I wonder which agribusinesses who contribute so much financially to freedom and democracy will get those licenses. wink

Slippery slope; Oh Yes.

Another example would be the organic spuds growing quite happily (potentially fertilised by your own urine, ) in your back yard would be legally subject to surveillance by the appropriate government authorities (Dept of Homeland Security) if required.

Terrorist Spuds. This is along way from how straight your EU bananas are! whistle

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/14/10 08:28 PM)

#211328 - 11/14/10 08:59 PM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
A little crazy internet story here. Any truth to it? Though the way things seem to be headed I don't know anymore.

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/s-510-is-hissing-in-the-grass/

The black helicopters circling overhead as the SWAT teams grab your illegally grown spuds, onions and beetroots. crazy

I think someone has been drinking too much of the J.W. Rawles private label flavored Kool-Aid...

John Lubbock

#211336 - 11/15/10 05:29 AM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Follow the below links for summary, full text, and other information on S510.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

If you read the text/summary of the bill, you will find an exclusion for farms. Which means, in addition to common sense, you can grow your own backyard vegetable patch. If you're processing or selling the food, then S510 applies to you.

<Rant ON>
Pet peeve, and this applies to more then just this forum, is that nobody bothers to do their own research. It took me less then a minute to find information on the bill. Everybody relies on some left/right wing hired gun talking head for their information. It doesn't seem to matter if it's TV, daytime radio talk, or the web. No theory to ludicrous, no distortion of fact to flagrant.

We live in the information age with access to a stunning amount of material. Running down the facts is no longer a couple days at the library, it's a matter of a minutes with Google.
<Rant OFF>

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#211338 - 11/15/10 08:38 AM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Exactly right! Quoting more invented 'facts' is not evidence. A youtube rant is worthless evidence. Nothing plus nothing equals nothing.
The bill is detailed in the Congress website, why not look there? We just had a very high minded discussion on how it's important to be fair when 'finding the truth'. But the most basic step 'before condemning someone for what they are proposing; see if they are actually doing so' is often overlooked. Just believing what others claim is not doing that.
And common sense should have told anyone this couldn't be true.
qjs

>Pet peeve, and this applies to more then just this forum, is that >nobody bothers to do their own research. It took me less then a >minute to find information on the bill. Everybody relies on some >left/right wing hired gun talking head for their information. It >doesn't seem to matter if it's TV, daytime radio talk, or the web. >No theory to ludicrous, no distortion of fact to flagrant.

#211340 - 11/15/10 12:49 PM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Mark_R]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Pet peeve, and this applies to more then just this forum, is that nobody bothers to do their own research.

I doubt that even your state representative who will be tasked to pass or reject this bill will have actually read the bill in its entirety, if fact I could guarantee that they will not have.

Quote:
Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to expand the authority of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to inspect records related to food, including to: (1) allow the inspection of records of food that the Secretary reasonably believes is likely to be affected in a similar manner as an adulterated food; and (2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

The exclusion about farms to which you refer does not relate to the S510 Act specifically but to how it relates to the way the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act is to be amended to ensure that farms (Monsanto) and Restaurants (McDs etc) still has an open loophole within the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

To be more specific from a legal standpoint, when you continually see text such as 'Secretary reasonably believes is likely' (i.e. could mean anything to anyone) and 'adulterated food' (i.e. all food is adulterated to some extent esp processed food) etc peppered (pun intended) throughout the legislative bill, then the subjectivity inherent with a legal document should be of a great concern.

Give the S510 its dues though, it appears to be a wonderfully crafted 'good' bad piece of legislation. There does appears to be some very talented 'food industry' lawyers who crafted this bill wink

#211341 - 11/15/10 01:10 PM Re: Grow your own food - get a Lawyer. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
ETS for reality.
www.ar15.com for tinfoil.

This thread is locked.
-Blast, grumpy on a Monday morning.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.