Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#211281 - 11/13/10 11:22 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Susan]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Susan
In a situation like this cruise ship, if they don't have power, how do diabetics keep their insulin cold?
Sue

Sue: assuming insulin, and no ice available, keeping the vials in a wet cloth will help keep them cool through evaporation. Some of the "pen" type insulins are rated for 28 days at room temp. Four days should not be a problem with either type (vial or pen) if it is kept in the 60's or 70's Fahrenheit. After your off the love boat, replace it asap.

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Both torches should be L.E.D. The bulb on a mini-mag is only rated for a few hours and by current standards, the battery life sucks.

Leigh: Absolutely. My former career had me on the road and living in hotels 25-30% of the time--before the days of LED. At that time, I found the mini-mags the most reliable. They do have problems with bulb and battery life, so I always had spares with me. LED's are the way to go now; no good reason not to. Today, I would certainly take my LED head lamp.

#211282 - 11/13/10 12:31 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
In a situation like this cruise ship, if they don't have power, how do diabetics keep their insulin cold?

Sue

It depends if the individual was a type one or a type two. That is to say pills or injection. My late beloved was pills.

Also: If food was in short supply, and someone diabetic was in need I would give them my food. Fasting for a day or three is not going to be a particular hardship under those circumstances.

Typically, though, most Type-2 diabetics don't "need" insulin, or their medications, to survive. They get blood sugar just fine. It's the complications of being too high that their medication is for. With these folks, the sugar is there, their body can access it, but it can't use it "well."

Going without your pills for a couple days won't do too much damage (no more than their years of unhealthy habits of done, certainly). Assuming, of course, that you don't go into DKA or HHNK.

Now, insulin-dependent is a different story. Their sugars tend to stay high too w/o medications, but they can't utilize the sugar, which is where they get in trouble. Without insulin, the sugar can't get out of their blood and into their body at all (there are exceptions in particular organs, but that's a generalization)

Edited by MDinana (11/13/10 12:33 PM)

#211302 - 11/14/10 12:05 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: ajax]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: ajax
4 days in these conditions isn't very quick in my book.
But unless you had a prior medical condition, it doesn't sound like it was hard to survive. The boat didn't sink. Food and water were available. It was just a matter of sitting in the dark for a few days. The main needs would be light and entertainment. The toilets may not have worked, but you could use a bucket and chuck it overboard.

#211309 - 11/14/10 03:26 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Dagny]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Everyone has their breaking point, and everyone's is different. I watched a neighbor's wife crack up after 8 days without power after a winter storm. Folks have mutinied after 3 hours sitting in an air plane on the tarmac without air conditioning or toilets. And if this had been a land-side hotel, on what day would you have walked out and booked somewhere else? The fact they were a captive audience meant the captain and his crew had their safety as their highest obligation, and their health and welfare had to be addressed throughout the ordeal. Since the cruise ship industry is a service industry, I suspect they were especially good at anticipating needs and addressing them with what they had. There are a few stories complaining about the conditions, but no one died, which is a good thing when at least half the people on your bus are over 60 yrs of age.

#211321 - 11/14/10 05:21 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Dagny]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
It looks like light was one of the primary issues. Without the ability to recharge from a wall outlet and assuming no one planned to bring a stash of batteries, charging flexibility and long battery life would have been important attributes.

I would have suggested the Photon Rex which has decent battery life and can be recharged via any 1.2 to 3 volt battery you happen to find or via an optional USB or solar charger. The Rex is bright enough to walk darkened halls and its small size makes it very packable.

Just as useful is the Pak-Lite. This is essentially a 9volt battery topper and they are cheap enough that you can buy a few. The real advantage of these lights is 80 hours of light on high and 1200 hours of light on low on a lithium 9 volt battery. Again, very packable.

Standard disclaimers apply. I have no financial relationship with the people who make either of these lights, but I love their products.

Craig

#211812 - 11/23/10 03:20 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: comms]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Originally Posted By: comms
<snip>
box of powerbars, caramel or licorice, bags of chips and dry
<snip>

The one thing I should take from this is finding a really good solar charger for iPhones, psp's, batteries, etc. I actually surfed the net for reviews a few weeks ago and found poor ratings on everything I looked at.

I've had the same bad luck with solar! Let me know if you find anything that actually works!

As a workout guy I don't go far without a box of protein bars. As a survival guy I don't go far without my FAK, PSK, EDC, etc. The diet wouldn't be fun, I have light, the only real danger would be dehydration and passenger stupidity.

I've actually been in a similar situation on a cruise that lost one engine and had to hobble back over three days. We had power, food and entertainment but you'd have thought the ship was going down the way most passengers complained and vandalized the heck out of the ship.

Edited by gulliamo (11/23/10 03:21 AM)

#211815 - 11/23/10 05:26 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: MDinana]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: MDinana

Sue

It depends if the individual was a type one or a type two. That is to say pills or injection. My late beloved was pills.

Also: If food was in short supply, and someone diabetic was in need I would give them my food. Fasting for a day or three is not going to be a particular hardship under those circumstances.

Typically, though, most Type-2 diabetics don't "need" insulin, or their medications, to survive. They get blood sugar just fine. It's the complications of being too high that their medication is for. With these folks, the sugar is there, their body can access it, but it can't use it "well."

Going without your pills for a couple days won't do too much damage (no more than their years of unhealthy habits of done, certainly). Assuming, of course, that you don't go into DKA or HHNK.

Now, insulin-dependent is a different story. Their sugars tend to stay high too w/o medications, but they can't utilize the sugar, which is where they get in trouble. Without insulin, the sugar can't get out of their blood and into their body at all (there are exceptions in particular organs, but that's a generalization)

My late beloved was type 2.
Most diabetics carry more medication than they actually need. That ain't the issue.
Problem is most likely to be lack of food. If Zahnele didn't eat then she stood a good chance of going into a hypo.

I always carried extra food with me for her. Mostly a choc bar and a bag of salted peanuts and a bottle of water.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (11/23/10 05:31 AM)

#211902 - 11/25/10 01:54 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Dagny]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
A sure-fire 6p led, with a few packs of spare batteries. Give you light for almost a day that way....

#211903 - 11/25/10 01:55 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: ajax]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: ajax
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Standard travel kit ( even for cruise boats) includes:

Fleece jacket
flashlight
book
power bars
caffeine source
camera
tiny FAK
cash
tiny sak

This is about all you can get onto a cruise ship anyway. They run you through airport-like customs upon embark and debarkation. It would be nice to have bottled water with the possibility of water-borne pathogens that cruises are susceptible to...especially when equipment is down.

Can't take a spyderco or swiss army knife,etc, on a cruise ship? Really?

#211910 - 11/25/10 04:54 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: jdavidboyd]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This has been a great thread. It insures that, whatever future vacations I may take, they will not involve a cruise ship.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 269 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.