The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#211261 - 11/12/10 06:48 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: sotto]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would expect any breakdown like this on a large ship to be resolved relatively quickly, either by emergency repairs or by towing to a port as has now been done.
I presume that a standby generator, located away from the main engines was available for emergency lighting and the public address system. Some reports speak of cabin doors being left open "to admit light from the corridoor emergency lighting" I doubt that batteries would last that long.

I would agree that water purification tablets, flashlights and a small stash of non perishable foods would be sensible.
Bit suprised that no one suggested glowsticks, these could be usefull.

I dont think that an emergency of this type would be allowed to carry on for long, with hundreds on board.
Supplies can be air dropped, as was done, or persons evacuated by air, by lifeboat. As a last resort the stricken vessel could be towed by a warship.

If the ship sinks, or suffers fire throughout, then personal supplies wont help that much, though flashlights are useful.
The lifeboats should be properly equiped, and rescue relatively quick.

#211262 - 11/12/10 07:16 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: adam2]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: adam2
I would expect any breakdown like this on a large ship to be resolved relatively quickly, either by emergency repairs or by towing to a port as has now been done.

4 days in these conditions isn't very quick in my book.

#211263 - 11/12/10 07:30 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: HerbG]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: HerbG
Anybody who is so apprehensive about cruising that they they want to carry a bag of survival gear, should just stay at home or find another way to travel.

done grin

In all seriousness, your comment makes no sense to me. I'm less likely to have a survival situation at my home. I have a survival kit and survival gear at my home anyway, just like most (or all) people on this site. Further, many people here are of the mindset that they should be carrying a survival kit 100% of the time. I applaud that mindset. So, if I were to take a cruise into the middle of the ocean on a ship that is registered in another country, then I would certainly bring a survival kit, especially because I'm NOT 100% healthy. In fact, this situation seems like it could be the prototypical purpose for this website.

#211264 - 11/12/10 07:52 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: ajax]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ajax

Yeah, that must've been a long 4 days.

With the reports coming out of the conditions--pitch dark interior sections, waiting hours in line for cold food, like mayo sandwiches, the stench of backed up sewage in many sections, mobility-challenged folks like seniors being essentially trapped in their cabins or on a particular floor... Sure sounds more and more like a floating Superdome scenario.

The only thing missing are rumors of freezers piled high with murdered ship's passengers, like at the Superdome. Of course, in this case, the story would've been jazzed up with something like a Mexican drug cartel boarding party that snuck onboard in the dead of the night, or something dramatic like that.

Which isn't to say that with the right attitude, someone couldn't take it all in stride without much trouble. Sounds like the whole experience was more of an adventure for the the one kid I read quotes from.

Funny thing...I'm surprised I haven't heard any reports of norovirus spreading like wildfire on this cruise. You'd figure that with their bad luck, they'd be sure to add the misery of nausea and vomiting of thousands of sick passengers to the mix.

#211265 - 11/12/10 09:39 PM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Arney]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: ajax

Funny thing...I'm surprised I haven't heard any reports of norovirus spreading like wildfire on this cruise. You'd figure that with their bad luck, they'd be sure to add the misery of nausea and vomiting of thousands of sick passengers to the mix.

I guess that only happens when they get the good food? smirk

#211272 - 11/13/10 03:51 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
In a situation like this cruise ship, if they don't have power, how do diabetics keep their insulin cold?

Can you buy packaged 'junk food' and the like on these ships? Like cheese and crackers, jerky, chocolate, etc?

Personal lighting certainly sounds like a good idea!

I keep thinking of the movie The Poseidon Adventure...

Sue

#211274 - 11/13/10 04:10 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: adam2]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: adam2

Bit suprised that no one suggested glowsticks, these could be usefull.

HEY NOW. I mentioned the Krill lamp, its a 'chem light' that runs on 2x AA. Basically a tube to fit the battery's and a liner of electroluminescent paper like a Timex indiglo watch. Go back and check.

#211275 - 11/13/10 04:30 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Glow sticks do not work very well. About half the time, I have pulled one out, activated it, and had exactly nothing happen. If the paper wrapping is punctured or abraded, they become inert rather quickly. The ones that do work are the ones made for life vests. They are packaged in a tough plastic case that is adequately tough.

Glow sticks are not worth the bother. Krill lights would be a much better solution

#211279 - 11/13/10 06:14 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: bws48]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
A flashlight.

Whenever and wherever I travel, I keep a mini-mag light with me, along with spare batteries (and bulb in the handle, as is standard). At night, it says on the nightstand next to my eyeglasses, within reach at all times.

I don't travel much anymore, but today I think I would add (not substitute) a LED head lamp. [/quote]

Both torches should be L.E.D. The bulb on a mini-mag is only rated for a few hours and by current standards, the battery life sucks. Most pocket L.E.D. torches at the same price point have vastly superior performance.
M
Just to reiterate a point for newer members: It it advisable to ensure that they use the same batteries, and you have at least one spare set for each. No great hardship if they are both AA/AAA.

#211280 - 11/13/10 06:20 AM Re: Survival on Crippled Love Boat [Re: Susan]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Susan
In a situation like this cruise ship, if they don't have power, how do diabetics keep their insulin cold?

Sue

It depends if the individual was a type one or a type two. That is to say pills or injection. My late beloved was pills.

Also: If food was in short supply, and someone diabetic was in need I would give them my food. Fasting for a day or three is not going to be a particular hardship under those circumstances.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 299 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.