Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#212366 - 12/04/10 07:50 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: hikermor]
GreyHiro333 Offline
Stranger

Sort off tangent but, I wanted to seal my own "sardine can" psk.

#212380 - 12/05/10 05:17 AM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Gray..i think you have the right idea.most sardine can kits have useless odds and ends so they can claim that they have everything you need,when what you really need in a small kit is food and fire.

#212393 - 12/05/10 04:00 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
GreyHiro333 Offline
Stranger

I also liked the idea of having quality PSK items sealed in a solid, water proof, w/o perishable items like meds or food, could last decades. Just have to make sure to glue a p-38 can opener on it as a back to the pop lid. Made be a plastic cover if you do open it? Oh by the by bought a AMK SOL-3 kit it blew chunks, what a waste of $50. The original Ritter PSK kit is tons better. Would anyone like see to a review of that SOL3?

#212395 - 12/05/10 04:12 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Gray..i see your new here so i'll repeat what i said about kits being sealed until you need them.no going into the PSK for a power bar snack,that's what a possibles bag is for.the new pull top cans are just right for this project and a Spam can has the "fits the pocket" shape that a soup can does not.

#212397 - 12/05/10 04:36 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I tend toward the other strategy. My PSK items are integrated into my EDC (I am clearly a victim of EAS*).

When things start to go sideways, I want to use tools with which I am familiar and in which I have confidence. The last thing I want to do, when stressed out, is dealing with anything unfamiliar. I do make an exception for things like fire making kits, which I can duplicate easily and cheaply with familiar items.

This does of course mean that I need to stay organized and systematic. Lets just say there is room for improvement.

*Excessive Acronym Syndrome

#212446 - 12/06/10 02:56 AM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: hikermor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: hikermor
(I am clearly a victim of EAS*).

No your not.

So your PSK isn't really an SK at all, but components of your EDC. That is great under normal conditions, but I like to keep a PSK and a FAK in my bag just in case TSHTF- in an emergency, I might not have time to grab my pants, or I might lose them or items in my pockets. So if i grab my basic LBE or GHB/EDC bag, I've got my true PSK and my FAK, along with a MT and SAK (and C/UK if it is my LBE) as a redundancy to my on body EDC. Of course, if it is serious situation but not yet TEOTWAWKI, I'm reaching for 96HR BOB who also has some redundant items while my hunting LBE transitions in role (not actual equipment, just a shift in TOE) to a 24HR ditch kit so that if jumped by RMZH while in my BOL, even if I have BOB apart I can still grab my LBE and E&E and not be SOL.

Unfortunately, due to ongoing R&D, my BOB is almost never ready to roll, so I'll be humping a tote of stuff down to my SUV with an empty ruck and filling it if needed- I'm basically in REDCON3 if not bugging in. Which is a weakness in my SOP, but without the external funding to go to 2x BOBs it just won't work. Now, if I do go to a MetHaz posture similar to HURCON3, then yes, BOB is loaded and I will BO ASAP to BOL1 due to a lack of P&W at my normal location should there be a compromise to the distribution network, but even at that point I'm still bringing supplimental items including my big FAK, a tote with 180HRs of consumables (other than H20), a couple of 5gallon H20 containers, my PC and EHDDs so I don't have dataloss nor worry about INFOCON at BOL1 assuming that power is running.

Now, if there is an EMP event, I will of course have to abandon the SUV and move out on foot using BOB as my lifeline. I'm still looking for a good carting system that I can put the 180HR box, a water tote and some less ruckable shelter items and push/pull it with me. However, most such carts limit my E&E routes to main traffic points, and along with RMZHs, I'll expect NatGaurd, VSP and CSO checkpoints, where I may have to use manditory evac methods which would force me to AIP everything but my LBE and BOB, assuming I'm not considered a POI due to my C/UK and PDW and be detained. And the bulk does become a liability if there are bridges out, so I might have not only AIP the cart but have a means to quickly DIP to discourage RMZHs.

But if it is a true TEOTWAWKI situation, I think we'll all be SOL because TEOTWAWKI it is something beyond normal comprehension. We'll miss something despite all our FeildExes- my money is on GI tract infections combined with malnutrition and WBPs, although as PPE is expended or dies on the shelf, BBPs become a risk if the patients outlive the PPE. And it just costs too much to have a CBR protection plan that is anything more than smoke and mirrors for most people, so while a WMD might not be TEOTWAWKI it would leave those in the AO DOA and it could have long term effects outside of a localized area including DPs and the resulting social and logistic strains they bring.

You can plan and stock and train for decades and never be 100% ETS. Sooner or later, it will be worse than you planned or there will be a SNAFU, and you will be SOL. Or a series of events, coming under the collective heading of BOHICA, could do it.

(C/UK- combat/utility knife, the origional designation of the MkII 'Ka-BAR" utility knife RMZH - random mutant zombie hordes
MetThreat- metorological hazards, aka big storms
P&W- power and water
VSP- VT State Police
CSO- County Sherrif's Office
AIP- abandoned in place
POI- person of interest
DIP- destroy in place
WBP- waterborne pathogens
BBP- bloodborne pathogens
AO- area of operations
DPs- displaced persons)

So... do I win? *giggles* I hope the prize is tylenol or some other OTC pain killer, that gave me a headache.

Edited by ironraven (12/06/10 03:07 AM)
Edit Reason: missed one

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#212471 - 12/06/10 03:04 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Gregg Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brewer Maine
I read your posts and thought I could offer to help. If you decide to make up a custom sk, I could seal it for you in sardine cans. I run the last can sealer in the nation and do custom projects like this all the time.

I make the LifePac SK as a standard item but I can customize your contents or mine. You can get more info at www.SardineCanGiftware.com. Feel free to let me know if I can help you out. BTW, lively posts by an easy going bunch, nice forum!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, SRMC), 268 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.