The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210733 - 11/02/10 02:21 AM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
If you can't tie knots well, you can get caught up buying various contraptions to replace knots. Plus, that's just more gear to carry.

This reminds me of my basketball days in high school and college. There were kids who had rich parents and had the most expensive clothing, shoes, etc. Many of these kids couldn't play worth a lick. I discovered that conditioning and practicing were the keys, and those are two things you can't buy.

#210737 - 11/02/10 09:11 AM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

If 35 mm canisters are too short for some matches , try M&M minis conatainer. Its just like a double depth 35 mm canister.

http://www.bookofjoe.com/images/iuygig.jpg

Regarding cost, I shamelessly admit being miser in the gear department, especially if safety is not a real issue. Most my bags, flashlights and even multitools are lookalikes that cost anywhere from 5-15 US dollars. Not more.

I am in the Middle East, mind you. We do have a few Leathermans and the like, but I think they are overengineered for guys like me... They are more suited for survival situations. I have been carrying/using off brands for years now and have no complaints. However, if I was to be sent to the arctic or Sahara, I would keep mine as a backup and buy a Leatheramn Wave.

Living and working in city environment, you really don't need all that ex$$$pensive gear.
And, yes, I believe soem folks are paying way too much for their gear. But as a hobby, to each their own and everyine is free to spend their money the way they like.

This reminds me of some midget bars and tiny knives i have made of some scraps of metal around the work and home. They do not look fancy but they work

Just my 2 cents.

#210741 - 11/02/10 01:21 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: Chisel]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Chisel
If 35 mm canisters are too short for some matches , try M&M minis conatainer. Its just like a double depth 35 mm canister.

The M&M containers are pretty handy.

The plastic on the M&M is thiner then the 35mm film container and I think it may be the type that becomes brittle in cold environments but very useful.

#210745 - 11/02/10 03:14 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

There's also a very wide spread between the cheapest car and the most expensive.

All will probably get you where you want to go, just with different levels of amenities and prestige.

More expensive does not always equate to more reliable -- in survival gear or cars.

I'm illustrative of both ends of the survival gear cost spectrum. Preparedness has become a hobby and some of the gear categories have resulted in collecting (Bark River knives and Gransfors Bruks axes, for example).

What I really get a kick out of is finding that I already had in my house something that also has great preparedness utility.

#210746 - 11/02/10 03:18 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
i.e. I cannot understand for example why anyone would drop nearly $30 for a Maglite AA with incandescent bulb.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/...-or-301070.html

I like the Maglites but that is pretty steep! Looks like you are paying dearly for the presentation tin and the nice 'gift' aspect. I can buy these with a belt sheath all day for less than $10.

#210747 - 11/02/10 03:21 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I suppose I have the luxury of not worry much about the cost of a product. I'll spend more money if it works. My primary concern is that it works for me (YMMV) and it can be easily replaced when I use it up in training or reality on short notice, like within a couple hours.

When researching a product I am especially concerned about replacement cost and location. It is for this reason I buy off the shelf. Only online if I have handled the product and the price is unbeatable.

I do not abide by having 1 item for show and 1 for go.

#210749 - 11/02/10 04:00 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
This topic is absolutely fascinating. I love the process of finding the optimum piece of gear for the job. When possible, I prefer low-tech, no-nonsense simple things - the KISS principle in practice. More often than not, those things are relatively inexpensive, but there are exceptions. But with some gear you really need the functionality of the high-tech alternative. The process of needing to switch between those two is fascinating...

There are plenty of examples of exactly my kind of no-nonsense gear in the "emergency cooking set" thread: Emergency cooking show and tell. My personal plan is pairing the Tatonka stand plus some wind screen (both very low tech) with my trangia gas burner (high tech).

I love that Einstein quote about making things as simple and as possible - but not simpler, and apply it whenever I can.

I stick to reusing "bottled water" bottles for my water bottle needs. PET bottles are virtually indestructible, but your local water bottle may not be as strong as the ones sold locally around here (required by law to be reusable - much stronger than the disposable variety). I avoid soda bottles, too much hassle to clean them. Besides, I don't drink soda. When they get ugly I can recycle them.

Knives? Oh, I love handmade knives - pieces of art. And I love high end factory knives. But what I use (for the time being) is mora knives. Cheap and functional. Somewhere out there the most beautiful knife in the world with just the perfect set of features is waiting for me - but I haven't got the time to go on a quest to find it, and I don't have that kind of money right now to indulge myself with excesses in sharp steel. Mora's are cheap and functional, and I'm quite happy with them.

The anorak-equivalent/outer shell layer jacket or whatever you call it is one piece where I'll never go cheap. I want a hood that works and zippers that don't break and leak as little as possible. The garment must not impede movement in any way, and as the concept "breathable" does not go very well along with "waterproof" there must be ample ventilation. (Exception for cold and dry conditions, where a well-breathing wind proof cotton anorak excels - but waterproof is better for me 95% of the time). I want pockets for my gloves, hat and buff, as well as room for equipment like my PSK, GPS and the like. Did I mention that I need to operate every single draw string and zipper with thick mittens? In my experience, the sum of these requirements is NOT cheap, and I'll gladly pay what it costs. The next time I'm in a blizzard I'll be glad I did.

Tents for high arctic winter conditions have similar high requirements and price tags. Those are worth every penny. Tents for the summer... Unless you have very strict size, weight or functionality requirements you'll be quite happy with most of the dozens and dozens of reasonably priced tents.

I've had the pleasure of spending a few years in high arctic conditions (Spitsbergen), and I can tell you that environment really causes you to focus on gear that works - no matter the price tag. Listening to the good advice of the ETS community is a much needed and healthy correction to my "must-have-the-best" impulse. Sometimes, cheap IS better and more functional. KISS principle again.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/02/10 04:04 PM)

#210751 - 11/02/10 04:27 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Flashlights
Here's a category where I'll spend. I've tested out cheap flashlights to the point that I've spent more money, time and energy than if I had just spent some money to start. If I want a good flashlight, then the cheapest I'll go is Fenix. They're rugged enough for my purposes and have not failed me in adverse conditions.

Knives
I have found that the knives that have the mystery metal from China won't work as well as the knives that you clearly know what the metal is. For my purposes, a knife that has good bang for the buck is a Becker BK2 for about $60. I needed a solid workhorse, and this knife fit the bill. It did require some modifications to please me though. I will spend upwards of $200 for a fixed blade, but not much more than that. I don't want to feel squeamish about actually using my knife, and I want it to be replaceable. I refuse to spend more than about $80 for a folder.

#210789 - 11/03/10 02:56 AM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: ireckon]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If I could afford a Berkey Water filter,I would be the proud owner of one or Two,Instead I have a Sweetwater system,with Many other less costly Alternatives!If I could afford a Rolls-Royce,I'd have a house in Malibu,to Go with it,Instead I have a Toyota Truck,& A Home in Los Angeles!Use what you have or Can afford to Have! YMMV

#210827 - 11/03/10 05:54 PM Re: Different Cost Levels for Gear [Re: hikermor]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My wife and I camp at Burning Man for a week every year, and we camp irregularly in Death Valley over Thanksgiving. Our gear gets seriously abused at Burning Man with temperatures, sun, and alkaline playa powder. Rubber especially takes a hit from the combination of sun and powder.

It's been my experience that some expensive things don't last any longer than cheap crap, especially where rubber is involved: O-rings and hoses. I've given up on expensive camp stoves because replacement parts are hard to get, are expensive, and shipping costs as much or more as the part. I can get cheap Chinese stoves as cheaply as, say, Coleman stoves with having to replace rubber parts every few years. When the cheap stove fails, I just toss it and get my backup stove out. I hate to have to throw the whole thing away, but not as much as I hate paying more for replacement parts than for a whole new stove. (As far as I can find, cheap stoves are sold as is and have no replacement parts available anywhere.)

Camelback-style backpacks for water fail at the O-rings after one year, maybe two. It's easy enough to replace those from the hardware store plus carrying a replacement. I haven't found that cheap copies are less durable than expensive ones (well, my wife bought a child's water backpack because it had a look she liked - it failed quickly, but you expect that).*

Tents are another issue. We buy expensive tents, and they last for years. We've bought the artificial fabric tents with flys and wash them in the tub after we get home, then dry them out. Lube the zippers with dry lubes of various kinds. Eventually, though, the fabric gets frail from sun, powder, and stress from high winds, and it parts at various seams, generally at stake points. Cheap tents tend to fail in the winds. My preference is to have good tents, because I expect them to fail at dark:30 in the middle of the night in high winds when I can't take the tent down and put up another one.

It gets to be a judgment call on whether you want to pay high price for premium goods or buy cheap stuff and lots of it for back ups. (We always have backups, though - even for expensive tents.) Some stuff we choose to buy lots of cheap items, some we choose to buy a couple of expensive things. People disagree on different items, and I always learn from listening to those that have different judgments from mine.

*Water bottles don't hold enough water. My current waterpack is 3 liters, and I drink it all in a morning, and much of in in the afternoon. I used to do shifts flagging on the highway after the event, 6 hours from 11:00 am so it was the heat of the day. I'd bring my 3-liter pack and a 2-liter pack and have consumed all the water by the end of the shift.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 285 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
0 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.