Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#210011 - 10/20/10 07:57 PM Re: Compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Blake:

Why do your students say they like their lensatics? Are you training military folks? I've often wondered why the military stays with lensatic compasses, other than the angular mils thing (handy for measuring distance, used in artillery plotting, etc.), which is also available on baseplate compasses. I've also wondered about the basic map and compass proficiency of the average platoon leader in the era of GPS. Please forgive my curiosity, as I confess to being a bit of a compass geek.

Jeff

#210012 - 10/20/10 08:08 PM Re: Compass [Re: Jeff_M]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Honestly, the main reason I like my GI lensatic compass is the inductive damping - no liquid to leak/form bubbles/get sluggish in the cold.

The main drawback is it is not convenient to use it as a protractor to transfer an azmuth directly to or from a map.

The reason for a lensatic compass is to be able to accurately sight a bearing/heading. The best you can do with a baseplate compass is hold it against your chest and rotate your body until the needle is "caged" and then look up straight ahead.

Although that's probably good enough for most uses.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#210015 - 10/20/10 09:19 PM Re: Compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Fox10 Offline

I'll stay with my Suunto Mirrored MC-2 Global. Plenty of accurate for me.

John

www.bepreparedtosurvive.com

#210026 - 10/20/10 11:25 PM Re: Compass [Re: Fox10]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The plain fact is that for most outdoor applications you really don't need great accuracy in a compass.

#210031 - 10/20/10 11:54 PM Re: Compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I carried two compasses during my time in the military. The issue one, because they gave it to me and it glowed in the dark; and a civilain cheapo around my neck I usually carried to check azimuths on the go.

And Jeff, I learned early on, LT + compass + map= lost waiting to happen.

#210036 - 10/21/10 03:08 AM Re: Compass [Re: JBMat]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: JBMat

Hey now! I resemble that remark. At least the LT part of it. BTW, the equation is not necessarily wrong but that is why PSG's carry a compass too...and usually don't stay within ten yards of a PL. They're so shiny and new that they cancel any Grid to Magnetic adjustment. (Or maybe they just forget to do the declination before moving)

In full disclosure, I was seven years infantry before OCS, so when snap judgments were made seeing my glaringly shiny butter bar, the subdued tabs and unmistakable pumpkin patch on my left blouse pocket tended to stop the snickers fast. lol.

#210038 - 10/21/10 03:23 AM Re: Compass [Re: Jeff_M]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Jeff,

Just a few bring those lensatics in.

Most folks have very limited Navigation skills and are a bit confused as to how a compass works. They are more than ready to use a baseplate once they see it work.

I like the Brunton 8010G.

The Suntoo baseplates are very nice too.

Blake

#210040 - 10/21/10 03:47 AM Re: Compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thanks, Blake. I imagine it helps to have various types to demonstrate for comparison purposes. I know afew guys who still swear by their old GI issue lensatics. I friend of mine (ex-SF type) teaches, as a civilian contractor, at the Army ranger school here; I was wondering if you were doing that type of work, too.

#210049 - 10/21/10 10:22 AM Re: Compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My own favorite compass (considering features, cost, and quality) is the Suunto Leader M-3 without the global needle (pointing to Canada is just fine - I don't need it to point to Norway or Siberia).

I've had mine for many years and no problem with bubbles. Plus, at that price (about $20-$25) I can replace it, if needed, without too many tears.

I also like the Brunton 15TDCL (the original Ranger 15)a lot, but it is a much higher cost ($50). The mirror is a good multi-purpose survival device.

Ken

#210069 - 10/21/10 07:03 PM Re: Compass [Re: comms]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: comms
Originally Posted By: JBMat

Hey now! I resemble that remark. At least the LT part of it. BTW, the equation is not necessarily wrong but that is why PSG's carry a compass too...and usually don't stay within ten yards of a PL. They're so shiny and new that they cancel any Grid to Magnetic adjustment. (Or maybe they just forget to do the declination before moving)

Off topic for a moment, but is declination *really* needed? Most of the topo maps I've seen have a Mag North and a True North imprinted. I just tend to use the Mag north as my reference and ignore declination. I get a yardstick, continue the MN arrow until is hits the end of the map, and draw parallel lines from there. That way my compass can be placed on those lines, orient the map, and away I go.

am I wrong to be using it like that?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.