Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#209899 - 10/19/10 02:12 AM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: comms]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
They may have no preparedness background but they may have a lot of great items already. I would first figure out what they do have, and make sure they are aware they have these items (most likely camping), and know how to use them and where they are.

Then as someone else suggested do a scenario with no power/water, and go from there smile

#209920 - 10/19/10 03:20 PM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: Oak_Bluffs_Mad_Man]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm always constantly surprised by what personal possessions folks have and what they don't have. They will have expensive large screen TVs and the latest computer games consoles etc, but if the electricity/gas supply was to be cut off during an emergency, they don't have appropriate warm clothing, warm bedding and stand alone cooking facilities etc. They have gotten used to the convenience of centrally heated homes and takeaways delivered to the door or the pop in the microwave plastic wrapped food, which are basically the equivalent of a US military MREs.

Take for example bedding, the duvet or quilt that is currently in use may not have the sufficient tog rating when the central heating dies. A spare Merino wool or down duvet could be needed for a good night sleep. With long term fuel shortages this additional bedding insulation could prove to be invaluable.

The same situation may also be apparent for clothing and foot wear, where lightweight clothing suited for central heating environments will not be appropriate for long term cold spells.

BTW try not to watch to many Youtube videos regarding preppers and BOBs, most of these folks are ever just slightly bonkers. Wow and you let these folks own guns.. wink Lets hope SHTF (their favourite acronym) never ever happens. I would expect to find most of them in the woods, frozen to death with their cold dead hands gripping the barrels of their AR15s. They forgot to pack their comforters. laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/19/10 03:24 PM)

#209939 - 10/19/10 06:32 PM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Oak_Bluffs_Mad_Man Offline
Stranger

Loc: MA
Alright. Don't laugh at me to much....but whats a BOB and a SHTF?

Thanks for the welcome NightHiker!

#209941 - 10/19/10 07:08 PM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: Oak_Bluffs_Mad_Man]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is a list of useful ETS acronyms available here.

BOB = Bug Out or Bail Out Bag

SHTF = 'stuff' hits the fan

#209971 - 10/20/10 02:27 AM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: NightHiker]
Oak_Bluffs_Mad_Man Offline
Stranger

Loc: MA
Guess I am a prepper. Didn't know thats what is was called until last night.
I started "preparing" about 1 1/2yrs ago. Not sure why I started. I think the first trigger was my growing family. Got me thinking about more than myself.
Anyway. I started doing some online research to see what else, and who else might be out their doing the same things that I'm doing. Were I live, there are some people that might talk about preparedness, but I don't know anyone that is taking steps towards being prepared like I am.
This is how I ended up on ETS. glad to see how many people are out there doing the same things I'm doing. Im VERY glad to see that people are willing to share there ideas and experiences on how to prepare.

My previous answer to the "mentoring New Prepper" question is basically where I am in my own preparing. I got my 3months of food, gene, H2O, Berky filter etc.

Thanks for the advice on a "BOB". Its the first of many things I'm sure to learn here. smile

#209972 - 10/20/10 05:16 AM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: Oak_Bluffs_Mad_Man]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Apros of NightHiker:

Samurai maxim.

"A question is but a moment of shame,
Failure is a lifetime of dishonor."

#210016 - 10/20/10 09:37 PM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: comms]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
You can offer advice, but back off, way off, from assuming any kind of responsibility for their future. (And many people will easily assume you are in 'charge', and therefore, responsible).

You are not responsible for anyone else (other than your family, of course), and to attempt to 'educate' other people where to spend their money is asking for a huge amount of grief.

Today, the internet, and the library, provide a great amount of information on how to prepare. Even the government, 'preparedness.gov', (something like that) tells you what to do.

Protect your boundaries, and don't get mixed up with people that have no idea what they are doing, because when the shtf, they will be coming to you for direction, and mostly, for sustenance.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but, like the old saying goes :
"Improper planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

If you have the resources, and time, to help these people, excellent. But if you don't, don't feel guilty, because it is not your fault.

Edited by jdavidboyd (10/20/10 09:43 PM)

#210254 - 10/25/10 04:02 AM Re: Mentoring New Prepper [Re: comms]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Good fun! This is a great opportunity to help someone by helping yourself.

Consider this an invitation to teach. Study how to do the planning suggested in this thread and any other sources, and share what you learn by example - increase your own preparation!

You do not have to spend the money, or have the money to spend, to do a great job making plans, including shopping lists where appropriate. Then teach what you have learned about the who, what, why, where, when, and how. The old maxim applies, when one teaches, two learn.

I would add, for your consideration, the idea of preparing for emergencies when away from home. Research EDC, PSK, PFAK, BOB, caches, and car kits.

And, finally, consider going camping and suggest your friend do likewise. When you are away from your normal support environment you will quickly and unforgetably learn what bases you need to cover to get by - and every speck of camping stuff should make sense as part of you bug-in and/or bug-out preparation. Go for it!

Edit: Consider learning and being guided in your thoughts and organization by such basic principles as The Rule of Threes (you may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food). Devise and use whatever functional categories you think are appropriate( mine include: First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light. Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale). Consider establishing a preference for stuff that is the most: effective, durable, multi-use, compact, lightweight, low maintenance, and if it uses consumables, they are the most common in their category.

Edited by dweste (10/25/10 06:36 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 282 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.