Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208953 - 10/04/10 02:06 AM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Back to reality for me, I agree with Richlacal. I'll refer us back to Blast's post. His advice includes neither touching nor moving.

#208956 - 10/04/10 02:25 AM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Context is everything. If it's off the beaten path and stashed or hidden, or in a camp, then leave it be. If it's on the trail or thrown to the side carelessly, then a little investigation is probably in order.

#208973 - 10/04/10 05:53 AM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
It is really, really bad to mess with equipment that someone else is depending on.

Dont touch, don't mess with it, but take a picture and write down the coordinates. And have a little look around to make sure someone wasn't stuck in a particular bad spot while locating water or fertilizing.

As always, there are exceptions. A lot of people will dump their big packs with tents and stuff at the foot of a mountian and go up to the top with a small daypack or nothing at all. At popular "day hike" mountain tops I've counted perphaps 30 day packs in a very small area.

#208996 - 10/04/10 01:55 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: ireckon]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I would look around, search the area for a while silently, then signal with whistle, mark the location in map etc., tell about it authorities later, but probably never touch the backpack thinking it might be some kind of trap. You never know.

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'll refer us back to Blast's post. His advice includes neither touching nor moving.

I agree that Blast's suggestion is very good. But as far as not touching the backpack he wrote: "4. Take a picture of or write down the ID information." How do you find out ID information without touching/opening the backpack?

#208997 - 10/04/10 02:04 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+1 Blasts response.

#209000 - 10/04/10 02:44 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
At this point, what do you do?

my first thought = crime scene. i won't put my fingerprints on that bag, nor would i hang around. i would take a few pix, note the location, notify the jurisdictional authorities when possible.

#209001 - 10/04/10 02:56 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
To me this represents a real or potential lost person, which is a law enforcement function.

- Based upon this I would try to locate the owner (whistle, calling, etc.) to see if they are injured or require assistance.

- I would avoid approaching the pack allowing any existing footprints and scent to remain undisturbed.

- I would mark the location with flagging tape, medical tape or any other highly visible means.

- Mark the location on a Map/GPS.

- Photograph from a distance if possible.

- If there is more than one in our group, leave someone to monitor the pack and/or make contact with returning owner and send one or more to contact authorities.

Pete

#209005 - 10/04/10 03:33 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: raptor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: raptor
I would look around, search the area for a while silently, then signal with whistle, mark the location in map etc., tell about it authorities later, but probably never touch the backpack thinking it might be some kind of trap. You never know.

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'll refer us back to Blast's post. His advice includes neither touching nor moving.

I agree that Blast's suggestion is very good. But as far as not touching the backpack he wrote: "4. Take a picture of or write down the ID information." How do you find out ID information without touching/opening the backpack?

I'm used to people writing their names on their packs with a Sharpie.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#209007 - 10/04/10 03:58 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: Blast]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Aha, interesting. I have never seen that.

#209009 - 10/04/10 04:11 PM Re: So you found a backpack on the trail [Re: raptor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: raptor

Based on the context, I got the sense that he was clearly avoiding touching. Some ID's are visible from the outside. EDIT: Yes, that was the intent.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 286 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.