Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#208790 - 10/01/10 03:41 AM Favorite method of protecting stitches?
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Well, thanks to a particularly sharp pocket knife, a particularly stubborn zip tie, and less then brilliant knife handling skills on my part, I now have seven stitches running across the outside of my left index finger knuckle. It's healing nicely, except I keep banging the damned thing into everything. While this is not my first set of sutures (fifth to date) it's the most troublesome.

For those of you with more "oh @#%$^ my knuckle!!!" experience; what's you favorite method of protecting it while it heals?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#208794 - 10/01/10 04:24 AM Re: Favorite method of protecting stitches? [Re: Mark_R]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Those times when I've had wounds, or stitches near a knuckle, I found it useful to tape a tongue depressor or Popsicle stick across the joint to keep it straight and to help remind me to favor the area until the area toughened up.

Also I would slip the hand into a ziplock bag when I showered.

I once had a deep laceration right down the center of the back of my left hand. Working construction I has constantly bashing the area and setting the healing process back. After ten days it was still sore. I got some respite by taping on a thick pad and buying a pair of leather driving gloves. Wearing the left glove protected the area until the healing process could catch up.

In my experience if I could get three days well protected and undisturbed it would be healed enough to take moderate wear and tear.

Avoid rubber or plastic gloves because the sweat buildup keeps the area soaking wet. Leather or cotton work gloves worked. The thin synthetic knit photography and archive gloves are great around the house and while sleeping because they are thin and cool.

#208808 - 10/01/10 03:08 PM Re: Favorite method of protecting stitches? [Re: Mark_R]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
most CVS/Walgreen type stores sell a finger splint that can cover top/bottom of finger.

#208830 - 10/01/10 06:06 PM Re: Favorite method of protecting stitches? [Re: Mark_R]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
years ago, the first of several scooter accidents, I sanded my face pretty good on a country road, and the doctor used a burn ointment called Furasin on the stitches... healed very quickly

#208872 - 10/02/10 06:41 PM Re: Favorite method of protecting stitches? [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for all the responses.

NightHiker: I've used occlusive dressings before, but because the bandages are still coming away spotted, I'm not sure it's time for them yet. Also, this is the second time I've sliced myself up but missed the tendons, maybe I should switch to scissors as my primary cutting tool?

Art_in_FL: I've used the baggie trick before when showering with a cast on my arm. I use an extra large surgical glove taped at the wrist for this. I'm going to put an extra layer of gauze to provide more protection. If that doesn't work, I have a bunch of scrap leather that can be placed over the gauze.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#208894 - 10/03/10 04:25 AM Re: Favorite method of protecting stitches? [Re: Mark_R]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Injured fingers are pain magnets. They search out everything possible to slam, ram and bump into.

Use some gauze to tie your left hand to your belt to keep it out of trouble.

Sue

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.