Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#208742 - 09/30/10 03:55 PM 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail-
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
a few years ago the PX at the Vets Hospital where i used to work had a rack of those 99 cent rain ponchos and survival blankets.the ponchos were knee length and see thru but i thought the blanket would work as a rain cover for a brush shelter.i got a couple and carried one around in my PFD pocket as part of a ditch kit.i use a Heat Sheet in that kit now as advised by some of our posters.anyway the old blanket that was in the PFD pocket for a few years went along on a trip this year so i could open it up and see what it was really like.

not much is it?the weather on this canoe trip was some of the worst i have seen with tree busting winds and heavy rain.when the rain let up i gathered what wood i could and stacked it loose in a windy spot to dry out.when the next round of rain moved in i used the old blanket to cover the pile the best i could.most of it was stuck together and the aluminum coating,which was so thin you could see thru it,came off.not really an issue for a well prepared canoe tripper who has a Gaz stove and tent but not something for a kit or even a family who got a few to keep in the car for winter car break downs.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/30/10 03:57 PM)

#208744 - 09/30/10 04:12 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Sorry you had a rough canoe trip, but it seems like those 99cent products work,,

I had to use one of those for a WEMT clas and it disintigrated. after that class I went for the more expensive ememrgency blanket that has red or orange on one side and silver on the other with gromets in corners.

#208746 - 09/30/10 04:27 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I had a similar experience years ago, also with a cheapie version. It came out of the bag as neatly separated squares of aluminized "chaff" that I had to chase around the whole darned campsite.

The genuine "Space" brand space blankets, gold on one side and silver on the other, seem to hold up reasonably well in storage. Good items for first aid kits.

I'm looking forward to trying the new HeatSheets. I bought two but never got around to opening them.

#208767 - 09/30/10 09:24 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
That must have been thursday and friday before labor day. I was up that week, heard the forecast on my weather radio and skedaddled.

#208770 - 09/30/10 09:37 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I don't know what brand it was but many years ago I had a space blanket. I tried it out one time while camping. Calling it a blanket is false advertsing in my mind. Might as well roll up in some Visqueen.

As far as I am concerned, it is just a very thin tarp, although it is pretty tough for how thin and lightweight it is.

Maybe I will add one to my day pack when I get the poncho.

Bob

#208772 - 09/30/10 10:11 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: dougwalkabout]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

The genuine "Space" brand space blankets, gold on one side and silver on the other, seem to hold up reasonably well in storage. Good items for first aid kits.

Sorry for your experience. The only time I've truly used one was a nap on the climb of Mt Whitney at the high base camp (about 10K feet). Breezy, on the granite rocks, huddled with about a dozen other boy scouts (I was 15 - not creepy like it would be now!). Anyway, got a decent little 3 or 4 hour nap. Stayed pretty warm once I'd tucked all the corners and feet in, but I also was wearing my normal hiking clothes.

I have a few heat sheets too, but I dropped the $20 on the Gen 1 Heatsheet sleeping bag. After having the above hassle of trying to arrange my "blanket" to keep the wind out, it's worth the extra money.

#208851 - 10/01/10 10:01 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
this is what i'll use my good Space Blanket,the heavy one,for most of the time.on a cold wet day i'll drape it over my fabric chair to help keep me warm.a poncho liner for a lap robe and i may as well be at home

at home it comes in handy to keep the heat in fermenting carboys of wine.

#208854 - 10/01/10 11:08 PM Re: 99 Cent "Survival Blanket"-Fail- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

at home it comes in handy to keep the heat in fermenting carboys of wine.

That's kind of funny. My dad's shed where he ferments his wine he keeps the A/C set at 66 year round. Rarely does it turn off.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 639 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.