The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#208871 - 10/02/10 06:01 PM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Anyone know if the breathable fabric ponchos actually work? I thought the bodies heat was what pushed the sweat vapour through the fabric. Does this take effect with something as loose as a poncho?
QJS

#208875 - 10/02/10 09:20 PM Re: Poncho [Re: quick_joey_small]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Anyone know if the breathable fabric ponchos actually work?

Personally I wouldn't go for any Poncho that wasn't made from a breathable fabric. But they are very hard to find. I would avoid any non moisture permeable vapour MVP material for any personal clothing and that even includes gaiters. To keep warm you need to keep dry. Non MVP material Poncho might be OK for a short rain shower i.e less than 10-15 minutes whilst doing nothing else except stand or sit around.

There are some Survival Optimists around who think they can spend a night out in freezing sub zero temperatures with a cheap PVC poncho and one of those $1 Mylar survival blanket. They are usually found the next morning as frozen stiffs.

#208879 - 10/02/10 11:55 PM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ILBob

It is not going to be useful over the pack so I need something to cover the pack. Not sure what is good for that.

You could use a pack cover. Just size it right.This is the Integral Designs poncho I use. Got it cause it snaps under and covers your pack. A little pricey but I've had mine for a few years and so far so good.

#208880 - 10/03/10 12:18 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Breathable is another word for 'controlled leakage'. Use the wrong detergent, expose it to enough salt/dirt/crud, and it will leak. Breathable membranes are more delicate than textiles that don't try to split the difference. There is a reason rough use tarps and ground cloths don't use breathable fabrics.

Breathable fabrics are an acceptable trade-off for a rain suit, or bivy where ventilation is difficult and failure means your own sweat defeats your insulation. Add that to the simple fact that you are going to pay a premium, and have to take more time and care in maintenance, and ponchos made of breathable materials just don't make sense. Stick to a poncho that doesn't have leakage built in and use it hard with confidence that it can take it. When it wears out buy, or make, another.

#208906 - 10/03/10 03:46 PM Re: Poncho [Re: LED]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: ILBob

It is not going to be useful over the pack so I need something to cover the pack. Not sure what is good for that.

You could use a pack cover. Just size it right.This is the Integral Designs poncho I use. Got it cause it snaps under and covers your pack. A little pricey but I've had mine for a few years and so far so good.

I think I paid $3 for the poncho. Paying $100 for a pack cover seems a bit excessive. If it comes down to it. I may just throw the poncho over me and the pack, and accept that the back of the poncho will ride a bit higher. Or maybe I will make a pack cover out of something.

The few times I have walked in the rain in a poncho I found that while they didn't breath, I could flap my arms around every now and then to bring in fresh air and that was adequate.

Bob

#208968 - 10/04/10 04:17 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i got one for fast cover up in a canoe.getting into a rain suit is too tricky and rain can come in fast and out of your view down at water level surrounded by trees.so anyway i got the "next best" at Campmor..the silnylon was way to spendy so i got the coated nylon with the ripstop weave in long.i'm not that tall but i know from using a poncho in the Army that you will get wet from the knees down with a regular length.the long also would make of a larger make shift tarp.now my needs were limited as this was for use in the canoe or around a camp before i got the rain suit out and on.i would not want to walk any portages in it because it would get snagged on the brush.also in the canoe the front flap could be set out over a pack with me still in it.to me the poncho is a second rate bit of gear,you don't stay that warm or dry and it flaps around and the wind gets in and so on but it can be carried around and used in lots of make shift ways..when i was in the Army we got a poncho and were told how to fold it and carry it over our belts in the rear before we even got our fatigues,no BDU's in those days.
damm..another midnite run on post-------sorry..

#209012 - 10/04/10 05:18 PM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
Ready Offline

I think a poncho is invaluable, but not just for personal protection from rain. I have a coated nylon dark blue poncho ($15) that I keep rolled up in a 2x7" roll in my pack. It will cover my pack if needed, it will serve as a ground cloth, shelter, shade and of course keeping me fairly dry. I am not worried about gortex or breath-ability as it is pretty open and breaths on it's own somewhat.

I also keep a few of the $.88 walmart ponchos in my pack as well. They have served as rain ponchos for my family, as ground cloths under the nylon poncho when used as a rain fly. They are one time use, but very convenient and take up so little space.

I have not splurged yet on a fancy sil-nylon one, but would love to have one at some point. The one I have works for what it is needed for and that is emergency shelter, whether that is rain or sun.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 675 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.