Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207367 - 09/06/10 03:23 AM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Doug_Ritter]
NobodySpecial Offline

'Meals are designed to match the taste and cultural requirements of each country'

Given the likely enemies in the near future the Brit's addiction to lamb curry looks like being a useful adaptation !

#207374 - 09/06/10 12:47 PM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

There are some oddities. The US ration seems to be the only one that includes toilet paper. Single-use toothbrushes, three, in each Italian ration. The "sponge" in the Danish kit looks suspiciously like a green nylon scrubber and I'm not sure how it fits in.

It also strikes me as odd that most of the rations come with matches. There are precious few military uses for matches and fewer people smoke. Matches seem like an atavism when a miniature Bic ($.75) would keep you in lights for a month assuming a pack-a-day habit.

The Multiclimate rations do have tissue paper as shown here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxdVCqf2a8Q

The US MRE is a little difficult to compare with the Multiclimate ration (itself a replacement for the older 24hr ORP) because 1 MC Ration (4200Kcal) is equivalent to 3 MREs (1250 Kcal) in terms of calories.

Does the MRE have specific breakfast, lunch and dinner options considering that 3 MREs are required per day?

3 MREs per day also looks to be quite heavy and bulky compared to the older 24hr ORP (which weighs in around 1.7kg).

The cost of MREs seem to quite expensive as well. I believe that each MRE costs the Pentagon around $7.25 and as 3 are required per day per man, which works out at $22.75 The UK MC ration can be purchased for £14.58 each or about $22.40. So the costs are pretty close for the MC and MRE rations.

An equivalent cost for a case of 12 MREs will typically be around $100 compared to 4 MC rations direct from the manufacturer $98.40 (including delivery)

There appears to be other good reasoning not to purchase MREs for a survival period lasting more than a few weeks.

http://survivalacres.com/information/mres.html

Didn't Elvis pass away tragically suffering from the same affliction. whistle

#207378 - 09/06/10 02:19 PM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
That English one looks great.

Are they all using the US method of heating ?

#207381 - 09/06/10 03:06 PM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Doug_Ritter]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
here's a MRE in "real life" topping a Mac and Cheese dinner.

this meat loaf with mushrooms is one of three MRE's i'll take on a wilderness canoe trip.heavy but a nice change from freeze dry something and rice.they are sort of "feast" dinners at the start,middle and end of the trip.pork riblet and chicken are two other favorites.mango tang with rum and a cookie rounds the meal off.i was in the C-Ration Army and these are of course a real meal and just not something to eat because you have too.
this is an easy meal to make.the MRE is heated in boiling water in the big section of the cook kit and let to sit while the Mac and Cheese is made in the small one and the meat loaf dumped on top.it may not look like much but i wolfed that down in short order.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/06/10 03:10 PM)

#207384 - 09/06/10 03:39 PM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Doug_Ritter]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Gotta hand it to the British; they have their priorities right:

From Wikipedia:
>Like every British tank since the Centurion, and most other >British AFVs, Challenger 2 contains a boiling vessel (BV) for water which can be used to brew
>tea, produce other hot beverages and heat boil-in-the-bag meals >contained in ration packs.[8] This BV requirement is general for >armoured vehicles of the British Armed Forces, and is one such >requirement almost unique to the Armed forces of the UK.

Here; everything stops for tea!
qjs

#207403 - 09/06/10 09:33 PM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: hikermor]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The eleventh General Order for military personnel is to complain about the chow, a directive I followed faithfully during my time in service (the C ration era). We consumed, once a month, left over C rats from the Late Unpleasantness (the Korean Conflict).

I would have to say that current MRE's are pretty decent, albeit a bit on the heavy side. Of course, anything can taste pretty good when your options are severely limited....

Love the 11th General Order.

I have not had newer MREs. I got out back when the 1st gen came on the scene and I must say I rather preferred the C-rations. We ate them for days on end, often times for all three meals. I can't say I'd go to a restaurant that serves them, but we found ways to make them passable. Short straw drew the beans and franks!!! Pound cake was highly prized!

Now that my diet has been transformed into herbivory, I don't guess I have much in the way of MRE options...but I've never really looked.

#207409 - 09/07/10 01:21 AM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

MREs aren't bad. Taste varies between passable to not bad.

Cost is high but is moderated by the fact that MREs are roughly 1000 calories each. Doing heavy labor over a high duration three a day at 3000 calories is about right. It might be a bit low if your working exceptionally hard or are fighting extreme cold. Three MREs and a couple of snacks should cover it. Most people don't need that sort of calorie intake and three MREs will cause them to gain weight.

Most people can get by quite well, even doing moderately hard physical labor, on two and a snack that work out about 2500 calories. Typical sedentary Americans, who have to set aside time to work out to get exercise, can get along fine on one fully configured MRE, main dish, two side dishes and desert for dinner; a fruit bar, oatmeal and coffee for breakfast; jerky and trail mix for lunch. A freeze-dried main dish, available as a separate item, might substitute for several smaller items.

MREs store well, how long depends on temperature:
Sustained Storage Temperatures °F Estimated Shelf-life (in months):
120° - 1 month ..........10° - 5 month
100° - 18 month ........ 90° - 30 month
80°- 48 month ........... 70° - 66 month
60° - 84 month .......... 50° to 33 ° -96 month

#207428 - 09/07/10 03:35 AM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey Art,You forgot to factor in Combat,of which The MRE is intended,1st & foremost!

#207434 - 09/07/10 05:53 AM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Richlacal]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
You might find this Link useful, Also any mre with tomato sauce is good.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#207438 - 09/07/10 09:55 AM Re: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Yeti -

Beanie meatball was one of the best Cs going. Only tuna or chicken boned was better. Melt your cheese into the beanies and add some tabasco and you had a feast. You could keep the beef and rocks, pork slices and ham slices - blech.

I would add the chicken to some ramen, with some dried onion I carried most of the time - pure gourmet.

At one point I had a cookbook from Tabasco about how to doctor up Cs. I also think they had one for MREs IIRC. Wonder where it go to?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
18 minutes 58 seconds ago
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.