Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#208366 - 09/20/10 04:36 PM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Stoney
In the area of Urban/Disaster Survival do you think that Security is a valid new category for survival needs?

Are speaking of a new subforum here on this site or in real life? I've always considered security to be part of my preps. Watching the aftermath of Hurricanes Rita and Ike confirmed I wasn't nuts (in that regard, anyway).

I had a front-row seat to watch the attempted evacuation of Houston for hurricane Rita, I-45N runs three blocks from my house. Many cars broke down during the evacuation and were abandonned along the side of the road. All of these cars were stripped by thieves.

When Ike came through and knocked out the power for 1-4 weeks many people had their generators stolen. Smarter thieves would leave a running lawnmower in place of the generator to keep the noise and delay the discovery. We had a lot of strangers trying to cruise through our neighborhood after Ike. There were a lot of trees down including one which blocked the street in front of my house. Assorted "visitors" to the neighborhood tried to drive around the tree by driving up into my yard. This is very hard on the sprinkler system and so I stopped them from doing it. When I questioned them in each case they claimed they had come to the our neighborhood to visit a friends, yet they couldn't give a name or address of these friends.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#208369 - 09/20/10 06:28 PM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Can anyone reccomend a good source of reading material for this?

"How to survive the end of the world as we know it" by rawles is a good choice. Its a bit repetitive, and of course your idea of the end of the world can vary significantly from his. There is also the infotainment "patriots", also by Rawles I believe, which someone gave me but I have not read yet.

If I had a colony and a security program I don't know that I would publish our security program here or in a book (winks).

#208375 - 09/20/10 09:05 PM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Just like any other emergency, once you figure out what you are most likely to be up against you can start planning to deal with it if it happens.

+1

#208396 - 09/21/10 03:26 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
If you decide that a firearm is part of your security plan, I would strongly suggest participation in one of the practical shooting sports...is a 16 target,32 round field course practical, of course not... but 16 two round mini segments that test aspects of gun handling and safety is...basic marksmanship and safety awareness is expected prior to competition, but you will find very helpful people at local USPSA and IDPA matches willing to help you to improve your gun handling skills...take some eye protection, and hearing protection, and go check out a match and someone will ask if you have any questions on the sport or the equipment necessary to play.... and with a little pistol experiency try your hand at 3 gun...see you at Ft Benning

#208403 - 09/21/10 11:03 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
It's a TV show, with planned stuff.

I am sure the people aren't allowed to really hurt anyone else. They made machetes or a close facsimile in one episode (saw a commercial, don't watch). Dude comes at me wanting to steal my stuff, one whack in the neck and he thinks about being someplace else. That's what I would call security. And my assorted rifles, shotguns, handguns with an ample supply of ammo.

As a wise man once said, "shoot the first couple of hundred and the rest sorta lose interest".

#208409 - 09/21/10 02:36 PM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: NightHiker]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Can anyone reccomend a good source of reading material for this?

A Threat and Risk assessment are the first step.

Here's a link to a website that addresses farm security, which although is probably not exactly what you're looking for it does provide some good food for thought. Read through it and let it get your mind going in the right direction then do your own threat assessment. Just like any other emergency, once you figure out what you are most likely to be up against you can start planning to deal with it if it happens.

The corrected link... smile

http://www.extension.purdue.edu/eden/ruralsecurity/index.html

#208463 - 09/22/10 06:09 PM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Blast]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
[/quote] Assorted "visitors" to the neighborhood tried to drive around the tree by driving up into my yard. This is very hard on the sprinkler system and so I stopped them from doing it. When I questioned them in each case they claimed they had come to the our neighborhood to visit a friends, yet they couldn't give a name or address of these friends.

-Blast [/quote]

It's amazing how many "friends" are in the area but they can never seem to reacall names.

#208928 - 10/03/10 10:58 PM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
Mannlicher Offline
Stranger

Loc: North Central Fl
security has always been a major consideration if you intend to survive a natural or man made situation.

may the Bonnie Blue wave forever

#208962 - 10/04/10 03:23 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Though The Colony is staged, I think security would be secondary or even teriary UNLESS it seemed otherwise. That is, after the first or second incursions, security would have been at the top.

Hypothetically, if NO ONE ever came by (hostile or not), I might be satisfied with a rotating watch. But aftre one or two "mid day encounters" (where they're not attacking but definitely forceful about asking for help or supplies), it would have shot to the top of the list.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (clearwater), 248 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.