Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207893 - 09/13/10 11:42 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about the Snugpak Rocket Pak System. Here are a couple of reviews.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Snugpak-RocketPak-review.pdf

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=52319

Or you could get a Karrimor Sabre 45 and purchase the compatible PLCE side pouches and Snugpak yoke separately. It is more expensive though.

#207898 - 09/13/10 11:55 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been wanting to find something modular myself. A small backpack for daytrips, hiking, biking, etc. Then be able to add on a second pouch with some of my bob's eletrconics and com gear, stuff I don't need to carry out but keep in the bob for a bugout/bug in situation.

#207899 - 09/13/10 11:57 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: Susan]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: Susan
The only thing I can visualize for myself is the basic smaller backpack with the addition of a separate belt that can hold stuff on its own. Mind you, I have never seen the belt, I would probably have to invent it and that hasn't happened.

Sue

Check out the military Mollie belt or stripped Mollie vest.

The belt is just a thick padded belt with empty mollie attach points. The vest is the same except it has two front panels with empty attach points and straps that go down your back to the rear of the belt.

Link to mollie vest.

The above link is to a used vest. I got a new one for the same price

I have both the belt and the vest. There is an almost unending number of pocket, holsters, water carriers, small to gigantic packs etc. available for this system. I have been using mollie stuff for years. It is very reliable, easy to use, versatile and available. Prices run from low for used military to absurd for custom made.

The mollie attachment system is very good. Easy (although not always quick) to re-arrange. We change according to the days task, the environment and the weather.

Nomad.

#207900 - 09/13/10 12:42 PM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

How about the Snugpak Rocket Pak System. Here are a couple of reviews.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Snugpak-RocketPak-review.pdf

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=52319

Or you could get a Karrimor Sabre 45 and purchase the compatible PLCE side pouches and Snugpak yoke separately. It is more expensive though.

If this is what you want I vote for the Snugpak Rocket Pak - I use one for multi-day hikes, and I think I got it from Redflare via this website. Its an extremely good pack for heavier loads, goes modular if you want that, though you want to play with the configurations a bit to get used to rigging them comfortably. I don't actually go modular much if at all (attach the side packs to the yoke), I use the Rocket Pack for my heavy hauling, 40 lbs or more, and that usually comes midway through an early season hike when younger Scouts realize they're carrying far too much (this year I'm getting better at this, I vow to strip unnecessary weight off Tenderfoots in the parking lot before we leave for the trailhead - like Willem Dafoe in the movie "Platoon". Guaranteed to scare the hell out of watching parents though). Its huge - I have yet to pack it to full capacity. Its comfortable for me, I don't use the hip belt, and I like the integrated rain covers (choice of two, brown and some kind of camoflauge design).

While there's alot of overlap between my hiking, backpacking and BoB contents, the contents are easily shifted about, but ymmv. Have a look at the Kelty MAP 3500, do a search in this forum for views and reviews, for $99 or less its a great deal, purchasable from Amron International. The MAP 3500 is my everday pack, I have two others that function as full-time BOBs. Very pleased with this very functional pack.

Usual disclaimer: no interest or reimbursement from Snugpak, Redflare, Kelty, Amron or anyone else, just a happy camper.

#207906 - 09/13/10 03:50 PM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
This shop makes a big modular backpack.

http://thewildernesswanderer.com/

#207908 - 09/13/10 04:07 PM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: Colourful]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Colorama
This shop makes a big modular backpack.

http://thewildernesswanderer.com/

That website looks like it has not been updated in about 10 years. "<!--This file created 12:20 PM 26/01/00 by Claris Home Page version 3.0--> "

Also those probable 10 year old prices are extremely expensive. Also submitting credit card information through a non SSL secured page...no thanks.

John Lubbock

#207914 - 09/13/10 05:27 PM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: comms]
Boghog1 Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: comms
Jansport just came out w/ their retro external frame pack. It is very modular in the current design but it's a large frame ruck. I would begin by dividing ur mods into zippered pouches. Then when u have what u want in them u can start to pare it down. Then figure out what is EDC, what is car kept, what is hiking kit, etc and find a pack that works for all.

Got a link for it? (the Jansport) I just looked on their site and didn't see the one I was thinking of

#207919 - 09/13/10 06:05 PM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: Teslinhiker]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Colorama, you're absolutely right, it doesn't pass the smell test.

If you look at the http headers (in firefox tools, page info) you'll see it was last modified Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:40:14 AM. That is three decades without updates in human time.

Even if https was used it wouldn't help this guy, the forms action url is
www3.telus.net/cgi-bin/mailto.cgi?somethingAATATATtelus.net
thats a different domain, and somethingAATATATtelus.net is not the email advertised ( infoATATATATthewildernesswanderer... )

its probably against the terms of use for telus to use that interface for credit cards

Maybe he is a prince from Nigeria?

email without public key encryption is no way to accept credit card information. if you're going to accept that, unplug your computer from the internet and only accept phone orders

#207941 - 09/13/10 10:00 PM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Oregon Packworks is a new company based in Bend, OR.

I saw their demo at a SAR meeting last week. Pretty impressive.

Not cheap.

Please check out: www.oregonpackworks.com

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

#207968 - 09/14/10 08:08 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.