The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#207896 - 09/13/10 11:45 AM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'd like to present 3 "filters" to help with the decision making process that I presented to my students...

the first is "list-cluster-label" ....this works well for group or singular assessment...(1)simply make a free thought list of concerns, ideas,or conditions about a topic (15 or so), (2).. draw radial lines to page margin to cluster ideas of similar topic to an unnamed point (3)label the point... this helps you to organize you thoughts and priorities of any topic

the second is PACE, from Special Forces organizational planning.. it offers a plan B, C and D if Mr.Murphy is present
a. Primary plan...
b. Alternative plan..
c. Contingency plan...
d. Emergency plan
an important part is a "brief back" or "lessons learned" at completion of successful or not successful mission

the third is a tactical evaluation of situation called the OODA loop...(1)observe an event (2) orient yourselt to the potential threat (scan for peripheral threats first) (3) decide on your course of action (4) act on your decision

#207947 - 09/13/10 11:09 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Frisket]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
In my case, I prefer not to label my bag as a Bugout Bag, Get Home Bag or any of those. I just call mine the SHTF bag and I put it together to be used in any scenario from getting to the house, to leaving the house, to bugging in (augmented when bugging in by what's stored in the house).

Mine generally travels in whatever vehicle I'm in and sits next to the front door when I'm at home. I never have any idea where my job will take me from day-to-day, so it's set up with items for all purposes. I also carry it in my Jeep when going WAY out into the woods where even most stock 4wd vehicles would have a hard time making it.

I use stuff from my bag all the time, from needing a poncho or boonie hat when it's raining, to a change of clothes if I need to work over, to grabbing a MRE or granola bar out to eat, to grabbing a bottle of water out to drink, to needing a bandaid or Tylenol. It's the everything I need, when I need it bag.

#207951 - 09/14/10 12:08 AM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I agree with not getting too hung up on labels as to BOB or whatever. My 'bob' I use for bugging in, its just a collection of gear that I use no matter what the situation.
I don't yet separate urban and rural gear, I want to redo my gear bag and make it modular so the urban stuff can be separated out. I have various electronic gear such as a scanner and cb radio which are handy for urban areas but not so much rural. I want to be able to separate that from my main pack so if we do have to abandon the BOV and hike by foot I can leave that weight there.

#207981 - 09/14/10 03:05 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Frisket]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I guess what I was asking more or less was simply the difference between a Urban BOB and a Rural BOB and why would people consider they wouldn't need things say like fishing supplies just cause they are in a city or not near water when you may have to leave that area entirely blah blah blah so on so forth.

In my case, our BOB is designed for us to crash at a hotel, friend's house, or even an emergency shelter. I've taken the family (wife, two kids 4&7) primitive camping many times and because of that I feel bugging out to the woods is not an option. I know exactly what it takes to care for my family in the woods for four days and it's not something that can be stuffed into a BOB. If we're running it's to civilization, not away from it and so I pack accordingly.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#207982 - 09/14/10 03:12 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: ireckon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
No offense to anyone, but if you can't figure out how to make a shelter from material in an urban disaster zone, then you need to work more on your knowledge and training, and less on the stuff in your bag.

+10 The "murse" I carry in urban/subarban areas has some several ways to fasten stuff to things, a boo-boo kit, some meds, a Leatheman multitool, radio, sewing kit, water bottles, and a silcock key. It's basically a GHB. Here in Houston I don't feel the need for a "run to the woods bag". Now when I'm out hiking or paddling in the wilderness I have a wilderness survival kit with me, even on day hikes or afternoon paddles in a "city" lake.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/14/10 03:13 PM)
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#207983 - 09/14/10 03:20 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Frisket]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Question for Frisket to help me understand your mind-set:

Under what circumstance would you bug out from an urban environment to a wilderness environment rather than a new urban environment unaffected by what is occuring at the first urban location? In other words, what sort of event would send you into the woods rather than to a Motel 6 150 miles away?

-Blast

#207993 - 09/14/10 06:58 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Blast]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Blast
In my case, our BOB is designed for us to crash at a hotel, friend's house, or even an emergency shelter. I've taken the family (wife, two kids 4&7) primitive camping many times and because of that I feel bugging out to the woods is not an option. I know exactly what it takes to care for my family in the woods for four days and it's not something that can be stuffed into a BOB. If we're running it's to civilization, not away from it and so I pack accordingly.

-Blast

Now, that's the type of experience I like to read about. It'll save me from learning the hard way.

#207996 - 09/14/10 07:27 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: ireckon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: Blast
I've taken the family (wife, two kids 4&7) primitive camping many times and because of that I feel bugging out to the woods is not an option. I know exactly what it takes to care for my family in the woods for four days and it's not something that can be stuffed into a BOB.

Now, that's the type of experience I like to read about. It'll save me from learning the hard way.

Here is one of my many camping adventures, with and without the rest of the family which has convinced me I'm not taking them to the woods in an emergency.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/14/10 07:28 PM)

#208000 - 09/14/10 08:14 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Frisket]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Heading for the woods in a survival situation is so far down my list that it isn't even ON my list. That scenario is movieland only.

I can really only envision two situations right at this moment that involves leaving home: wildfire or toxic spill, and both of those are likely short-term. Flood is a possibility here, but more in the marooned sense than the underwater sense.

House fire or earthquake, I'll camp in the yard.

Power outage (local or widespread) or volcano eruption/heavy ashfall, I'll camp out in the house.

My biggest possible bugaboo is being away from home during some Big Deal and having to get home to my supply of stuff on foot with minimal supplies.

As Blast pointed out, if you've got kids (or seniors or disabled people) with you, heading for the woods is a REALLY BAD DECISION.

Sue

#208002 - 09/14/10 08:36 PM Re: A Question For All Yall [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Like Susan, my only real bug-out scenario is a wildfire. Earthquakes are very real here, but where we are located is a good distance from the major faults.

With that in mind, my bug-out container is my truck. I'll load it while the fire is still days out and it will stay loaded with the tank topped off until the threat is gone. I'll evacuate to a hotel far outside the threatened area.

Bugging out on foot in SOCAL. . . where do you plan to bug-out to??

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.