The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207833 - 09/12/10 11:11 PM Backpacks for modular "go-bags"
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I'm looking for a backpack system that will combine a few worlds: day hiking, camping, backpacking, and go-bag. I envision that the day hiking contains the essential things (water, snacks, change of underwear, towel, etc.) and can be used for day hiking and a go-bag. If I'm going with a meal, I attach another bag (preferably by clips) with the food stuffs. If I'm going to be staying overnight, I can clip on the bag that has the sleeping equipment.

Has anyone seen a good arrangement for this?

I'm focused on simplicity, though if the price is too high, packing doubles of everything might be better. I consider that an annoyance, but that's a lot better than repacking bags for every trip and forgetting things.

#207836 - 09/13/10 12:07 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
In all my years of trekking the back and high country, I have wished many times that such a modular system existed...and tried many times to invent it.

Unfortunately due to many factors that have to be taken into account such as (and not limited to) ecosystem, terrain, time of year, weather, distance, your physical condition, number of people in the hiking group etc. These factors then have to be examined closer, for example: What is the defintion of good weather, what is your definition of a day trip, what is your definition of a good meal at the end of day, what is your definition of adaquate gear, what is your definition of easy terrain as compared to others who may also be in your hiking group...and so on.

When you factor in all the above (and more), having a one size pack that fits all that can then be added to via a modular ssytem is not an easy undertaking.

That being said and as I mentioned above, I spent years wishing it was this easy however I long ago found that such a system does not exist that works for me. One critical thing I do not like about a clip on type of modular system is the weight distribution shifts as you add gear to the outside of the pack. This may not be critical if you are hiking along gently rolling land with a good trail, however it can mean the difference between life and death as you precariousy pick your way up a mountain goat trail you are following to get to the peak of an 9000' mountain.

What does work for me though is having a very broad and diverse base kit system to choose from that allows me to tailor each and every hiking or camping trip to it's specific need..and also allowing for some flexibility for other unknown factors that may arise later. This base kit is always in one backpack and can be easily transferred to any of the 7 other backpacks I own. These backpacks all have a specific purpose and range from small daytrip size to good weather / 1-2 night sizes to expedition size that will easily carry enough gear for week long remote trips. No matter what gear I take, it will fit in the back pack of choice and I don't have to worry that my cookware which was attached to the outside of the pack, fell off 7 miles and 4000' behind and below us...yes I have seen this happen to someone.

If you really are intent in carrying a modular system, there are very few civilian pack designs that would work and you should really look into a military based MOLLE system.

John Lubbock

#207839 - 09/13/10 01:22 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think you will find that a bag of about 4000 cu in capacity will give you maximum versatility - cinch it up for day trips and expand it for longer jaunts. You can use a bag of this size for trips of up to a week quite comfortably. For true expeditions, I fear there is no recourse other than a dedicated pack of upwards of 6000 cu in.

Modules make a lot of sense, but I would think in terms of units that can be placed inside your main sack, rather than exterior units. You do not want a lot of stuff on the outside of your pack, unless you are traveling exclusively on well manicured trails, and never putting your pack in boats or planes.

I would agree with Teslinhiker that a well designed mod system would be very nice. That a good one isn't readily available says something.

For longer trips of any complexity, I think you will find that you will be packing unique configurations of gear in any event.

#207843 - 09/13/10 02:28 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
ki4buc,
I use a Tactical Tailor Urban Operator pack. It is really just for day trips, but it has many useful functions. There is a side pocket that will hold a 1L bottle, which zips closed when not needed. The back pocket holds the laptop around town during commute by public transit (other flat items when hiking). A laptop is very important in an urban emergency, since it provides means to communicate with family members, govt agencies, and insurance companies in a time efficient manner. (It also stores family photos and helps if having to look for a job because of being displaced by longer term emergencies.)The front "admin" pocket is a good place for wallet, other pocket items, etc. I keep the bag next to my bed at night, so I can grab it in case of fire, etc. For this "night" duty, I add a stuff sack with a complete change of clothes. When hiking, I remove the town stuff and add my hiking gear that I keep in stuff sacks. Basically, an internal "modular" system.

Spud

#207858 - 09/13/10 04:18 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Molly Mac Gear sells a system that's basically a backboard with straps and loops for mollie gear clips. The premise is that you lash on stuff sacks as you see fit for your need, fewer for short trips and more for longer trips. It also allows for attaching other items in your gear; axes, hydration bladders, etc. Totally customizable.

Small cotage industry run by a very reputable individual who is commited to quality products and satisfied customers.

#207861 - 09/13/10 04:27 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The only thing I can visualize for myself is the basic smaller backpack with the addition of a separate belt that can hold stuff on its own. Mind you, I have never seen the belt, I would probably have to invent it and that hasn't happened.

Sue

#207863 - 09/13/10 04:44 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Frisket Offline
Addict

A military Pistol belt with Pouches?

#207866 - 09/13/10 05:04 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: Frisket]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I think I know what you're talking about, but those canvas military-type belts are too thick and bulky. If I'm going to have bulk, it had better be USEFUL bulk!

I'm thinking some kind of belt that has loops, clips and containers that can be moved around the belt.

I started thinking of this after reading about that woman whose young son died at the edge of Death Valley last summer, a lousy (and simple) 20 miles from a paved road. They had a case of bottled water, and the first thing that occurred to me was that with some string or cord, they could have made "belts" of slipknots that tightened around the necks of the bottles, and walked out the first night. Instead, they sat in the useless car for four days waiting for rescue, after they had changed their destination without telling anyone.

Sue

#207869 - 09/13/10 05:19 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
Frisket Offline
Addict

http://www.9thdivision.com/Equipment/Field_Gear/M1936_Pistol_Belt.gif

With what your saying the best bet would be a bulky belt. With pouches and containers and such having stability and displacement of weight is important. Not only is plenty of surplus pouches and belts for cheap but the belt has eyelets which can easily hang items such as bottles off of with string with less discomfort (cept the bottles slapping around your thighs as you walk).

#207892 - 09/13/10 11:35 AM Re: Backpacks for modular "go-bags" [Re: ki4buc]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Jansport just came out w/ their retro external frame pack. It is very modular in the current design but it's a large frame ruck. I would begin by dividing ur mods into zippered pouches. Then when u have what u want in them u can start to pare it down. Then figure out what is EDC, what is car kept, what is hiking kit, etc and find a pack that works for all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.