Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207717 - 09/10/10 10:07 PM Re: small keychain knife recommendations [Re: clarktx]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a SAK Classic on my key ring. Fairly unobtrusive but I've used everything in it.

#207728 - 09/11/10 12:49 AM Re: small keychain knife recommendations [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I too carry a Classic on my keyring, now in two variations, since those kindly folks at Victorinox make different variations. I carry at the moment in urban situations one that sports a very useful ball point pen. I believe there is also a Classic that sports a small LED light.

In the field, I carry the classic Classic with the ever popular tweezers and toothpick. I really like their tweezers - great for the occasional cactus spine.

#207747 - 09/11/10 08:08 AM Re: small keychain knife recommendations [Re: clarktx]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I would take a look at the Gerber STL 2.0 (Doug did a mini review from one of his Shot Show reviews - http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2007_knives4.htm).

I have one that I orginally had in my PSP, but it found a way to my key chain till I had to fly out for a business trip. Then I quickly lost it after that lost it.

I found that its thin enough that it hides on the key chain unlike the SAK Classic which I find its a tad on the thick side.

#207748 - 09/11/10 09:24 AM Re: small keychain knife recommendations [Re: clarktx]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: clarktx
That boker looks good. And I see spyderco has a lot of small knives. I'm checking them out. Style seems good. Thanks for the help.

The subcom is way too fat to be a keychain knife, try the keycom instead, very sturdy little thing and cheap too.

#207795 - 09/12/10 11:50 AM SAK Vit Classic .. Not [Re: clarktx]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

I was given a Classic and tried it on a key chain; the blade would
occasionally open, in my pocket. It really was not very useful
any way. It is also very fragile.

Here is close to what I use know.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=doityourself&product=53133&

I carry one that looks like above, however mine does not
have the tooth pick or tweezers. I wish I had these, also.
Mine is 1/2 inch thick but seems to lay flat in my pocket.
I occasionally use everything, except the file, which is
embedded on the small fake blade. Handle: red translucent.

I have used much bigger SAKs on my key chain, but this is a
good compromise.

#207802 - 09/12/10 12:33 PM Re: SAK Vit Classic .. Not [Re: clarktx]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
In my opinion the Victorinox Rambler can't be beat.
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1001/1109/0.6363

It's short, with two layers. You get both blade and scissors, both flat and Philips screwdrivers, bottle opener, nail file, tweezers and toothpick. For me it covers all the essentials, and doesn't have anything I don't use, so it has the best size-to-utility.

The scissors are small but good for cutting nails - better than the larger Leatherman scissors for that. The Philips screwdriver is also small, but again often fits better for small screws than a larger one. I carry a Leatherman Juice, but I still use the Vic Rambler.

#207807 - 09/12/10 04:26 PM Re: SAK Vit Classic .. Not [Re: clarktx]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I second thet Vic. rambler for keychain carry. If you are willing to carry something a bit bigger, the new leatherman squirt PS 4 is very good.

#208024 - 09/15/10 04:51 AM Re: SAK Vit Classic .. Not [Re: tomfaranda]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
It's tough to beat the little swiss army knives when it comes to a keychain knife. They're pretty much a perfect combo of size to features, and they're unobtrusive enough that you can take them just about anywhere.

My favorites are the Swiss Lite (basically a classic keychain swiss army knife that has the toothpick switched for a little flashlight) and the Midnight Manager, which is a rambler with a flashlight and pen instead of tweezers and toothpick.

Leatherman's Squirt series is also really good, with the P4 being my favorite.

Another neat little keychain knife is the Buck Metro LED. Locking blade combined with a small flashlight. This is one of my favorites to give as a gift.

It's also worth noting that Doug Ritter, along with CRKT, has a small fixed blade that one could put on a keyring. The RSK Mk5. It's bigger than your average keychain tool/knife, but it's also capable of taking much more abuse.

#208048 - 09/15/10 08:04 PM Re: SAK Vit Classic .. Not [Re: clarktx]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The RSK MK5 fits a niche for me, thanks.

#208050 - 09/15/10 08:41 PM Re: small keychain knife recommendations [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
does anyone know where you can buy the same style of clip that is on the streamlight nano? I would be more willing to go back to a swiss army classic if I could have that sort of quick release.

I got the spyderco knife today, its a nice little knife that would also benefit from a keychain clip of the type above.

I use the streamlight nano as my keychain-carry flashlight and I really like the quick-release clip it uses. I'm betting its an off-the-shelf part from somewhere.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 250 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.