The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#207354 - 09/06/10 12:27 AM Pressure Washer Advice
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Can any of my friends on ETS offer advice on pressure washers. It will mostly be used for cleaning/prepping decks, wood siding on my barn, wooden fencing, and I suppose cleaning the trucks and tractor (do people clean tractors?).

I like the simplicity of electric, but I've read that you simply don't get the power that comes with an engine-powered unit.

Good brands? Features to look for?

Thanks!

Ken

#207360 - 09/06/10 01:51 AM Re: Pressure Washer Advice [Re: KenK]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
rent a gasoline powered unit. I did so, found that it had enough power to peel strips of wood out of the treated lumber deck-dialed back, it cleaned it up fine. Then purchased an electric unit. Much less power, but enough to clean the deck-until it blew an o-ring. The wand was made of mattel grade plastic fittings, with metal to plastic bearing surfaces- The wand/hose/spray head are pretty much unrepairable, and are not compatible with currently available replacement items:replacement requires separate purchase of wand, hose, and nozzle heads for a total cost that exceeds that of the original device. Renting the unit as needed will cost more, eventually, but will save time and vexation.

#207369 - 09/06/10 03:33 AM Re: Pressure Washer Advice [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you have serious work to do renting a unit is good advice. Good quality units can go for $2500 or more. Industrial units, capable of stripping paint, removing rust, and etching concrete go for many times that.

Most people just don't do enough with serious work with a pressure washer to justify the cost of a good one. The Sears/hardware store low-pressure units for under $100 are okay for occasional light work, most of which could be accomplished pretty well with a garden hose, are okay but expendable.

#207376 - 09/06/10 01:47 PM Re: Pressure Washer Advice [Re: KenK]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I bought a Briggs and Stratton powered model about 8 years ago at Tractor Supply. It has a 5.5.HP engine, it is rated at about 2200 PSI. I still have it, but about 4 years ago, I had to replace the pump, due to my own failure to properly prepare it for winter - there was water left in the pump and it cracked when it froze.

I've found it to be reliable and it does what I need when I need it - I only use it occasionally. One bit of advice about cleaning decks - be VERY careful, you can easily tear into the wood, leaving ugly scars and ultimately ruining it. Keep a wide fan pattern and don't "dig in" with it.

One of the more interesting uses I have for my pressure washer is clearing leaves and stuff out of my gardens. I set a wide fan pattern and spray at the base of my azaleas and it cleans out the dead leaves better than the air blower.

OK, on to the electric models.

I picked up one of those 1200 PSI electric models from Home Depot and I was extremely disappointed in it. Aside from shoddy construction, in use, the pressure was barely more than that of a garden hose and at lower volume. For some limited applications - washing a car, maybe washing out a trash can - it might have been acceptable, but there's no way that I would be able to clean mud out of the wheelbarrow or blast the henhouse walls clean for the spring clean-out.

So, yes I prefer the gasoline-powered models. But once again, I ponder WHY we don't see more propane powered yard equipment for homeowners. Especially stuff that's likely to sit and not be used for a month or so - I know that I manage my gasoline collection well enough, but I'd rather just strap a 20LB tank onto something and start up rather than working about the ethanol devouring seals, the gas oxidizing or lacquer forming inside.

#207385 - 09/06/10 03:45 PM Re: Pressure Washer Advice [Re: KenK]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Go to Home Depot, Lowe, Tractor Supply, and etc.

Look at the pressure washers displayed out front for a "RECONDITIONED" unit that matches the new one you want. Generally the "RECONDITIONED" model was purchased at that store, used once and returned. (Kinda like renting for free.)

The unit is then sent to a reconditioning facility and brought back to brand new specs. Said "RECONDITIONED" units are generally 1/2 or less than the cost of a new one, and carry the same warranty.

I have done this twice, and saved a ton of money on the purchase. Each has subsequently been used to death, and replaced with a third that is still going strong.

All three had three things in common:

1) Lower initial purchase cost.
2) Honda engines
3) CAT brand pumps.

Just remember not to leave the engine running without water passing through the spray wand (LOADED), as the valves in the pump are now plastic and will melt. The water passing trough (UNLOADED) is what cools the pump.

Keep in mind the "RECONDITIONED" units I had previously were used about 30 hours a week by employees who could care less if I had to purchase another one. Even then, they only destroyed two in 10 years.....

RIP OBG

#207461 - 09/07/10 08:16 PM Re: Pressure Washer Advice [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Hmmmm, thanks!

After looking at them there does seem to be a big price break point at about $300 ... and that is about the price where I get nervous. I worry that those non-electrics under $300 are "consumer-grade" and not nearly so robust.

It looks like I'll be renting a pressure washer. I also like the idea of the rental place maintaining it for me - so to speak.

That will make the wife happier too.

Ken

#207468 - 09/07/10 11:00 PM Re: Pressure Washer Advice [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KenK

It looks like I'll be renting a pressure washer. I also like the idea of the rental place maintaining it for me - so to speak.

Many rental places, the good ones, will offer advice and tips on how to use the tool effectively and may give you chance to try the tool out. This can be handy when they offer several different sizes of unit and you don't know which one to rent.

General advice is to rent a unit that is slightly larger and more powerful than what you think you can get by with. Most tools can be throttled back to work less aggressively but it is hard to get more power out of a small unit.

When you rent make sure that the agent clearly notes any dents, scratches or damage. Have them start up the machine and show you all the adjustments. Get the person's name clearly written on the rental papers so any understandings are honored. Most people are honest but better to have it in writing to prevent conflicts.

Make sure you are absolutely clear on delivery and return times. Observe them closely. Don't expect any breaks. Note that many rental outfits give you an extra day for free if you rent over a weekend and/or holiday and get it back to them early.

Ask about storage and theft. One outfit I used would give you a break on replacement cost if you used their chain and lock to secure the tool. They charge $5 extra. Use your own and you were on the hook for the full replacement cost. Some outfits may offer added insurance for a price. If you have job-site or homeowners insurance give your carrier a call to see if they cover it. Better to know about all this ahead of time.

IMHO renting equipment is a great option if you don't often use a tool. They store, secure, and maintain it for you. Industrial tools can get you into trouble if poorly used but they can increase safety and speed a job along, possibly eliminate the need to hire a contractor, if well used.

A friend rented a tow-able man-lift over a long weekend and used it to clean out his gutters, make repairs on his roof, scrub moss off his siding, and trim his trees. Working off the lift was easier, faster, and safer than working off an aluminum ladder. He clearly had some fun using what amounted to a carnival ride for adults.

It would have cost him several hundred dollars but with construction work dormant, the people who most commonly rent this sort of device, he was able to talk them into a half-cost deal. Neighbors saw him getting a lot done and rented units. The company made money off the deal.

Another option is to coordinate with neighbors. We rented a large towed industrial compressor and jackhammer and several people used it to knock out a number of small jobs quickly. If each person had used smaller electric jackhammers, or sledgehammers, it would have taken far longer and been much harder work for everyone. By combining jobs and user we could afford the more powerful tool.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.