Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#20745 - 10/28/03 02:59 PM Gerber Saws
Anonymous
Unregistered

Morning All:

I've recently had an opportunity to purchase and evaluate two Gerber saws. One is a locking folder that comes equipped with both bone and wood blades, all enclosed in a cordura belt pouch. ($20 from Cabelas) The other is somewhat lighter, has only a wood blade, and the blade retracts within the handle the way a disposable, break-a-blade utility knife does. ($9.99 at local sporting goods store)

These two saws are incredible! I've been using them for a variety of uses: Some light tree trimming and yard work, building two hunting blinds, removal of limbs and branches at a couple of archery tree stands. These saws cut faster, and with less effort, than anything I've ever tried. I've been cutting 4 to 6 " hard sugar maple, ash, beech, etc with very very little effort. These are very efficient saws.

They are still far too large for PSK use. However, I'm buying several more for a variety of applications. They are far smaller and lighter than any bow saw. They are going to reside in each snowmobile, as well as our automobiles. They are perfect for building light shelters, removing downed branches across trails, etc.

Frozenny

#20746 - 10/28/03 03:26 PM Re: Gerber Saws
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I second your endorsement of the swap-blade locking Gerber. I've been carrying one for 3 or 4 years in my Essentials bag and it has seen haaaard use (I even let Scouts borrow it...).

#20747 - 10/28/03 07:35 PM Re: Gerber Saws
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

since we are talking about saw here, does anyone have opinions what i should chouse ? i had mine eye on the gerber exchange-a-blade sportsaw and the bacho laplander. the gerber looks like a good saw, but a lot of surival instrucrors take the laplander, so do less proffesional folks. they cost the same here. AT the moment i'm thinking of getting the bahco laplander, but i'm still not sure, after reading a lot...

#20748 - 10/29/03 04:17 PM Re: Gerber Saws
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am only familiar with the Gerber saw.
Purchased one recently and found it came with only one of the two blades.
Had to spend another $5 to get the blade I needed.

#20749 - 10/29/03 07:03 PM Re: Gerber Saws
elnath Offline

Loc: SouthEast New Hampshire
I use the Gerber Exchange saw in my hunting kit. Has worked great for me for several years. I like the option of having the bone saw for field dressing --it also is agressive enough to use for hardwood. The wood blade is great for green wood and/or softwood general cutting. Stainless blades are nice for a woods tool of this sort.

#20750 - 10/30/03 12:21 AM Re: Gerber Saws
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have been using a Felco 60 folding saw for many years both around the yard and in my car or shoulder bag kit. It is reasonably priced in garden stores, blade is very efficient on a drawstroke for various woods, and blade is easily replacable. 6" blade with can't lose red handle.

I have not used the Gerber, but have also used Corona, Stilh, and unbranded Japanese folding pruning saws. My favorite of these is the Felco.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 412 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.