Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#207 - 02/22/01 03:42 PM Coffee Can Emergency Kit
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I ran across this in my never-ending search for interesting preparedness kits and ideas. Check out the Coffee Can Emergency Kit at http://www.baproducts.com/coffecan.htm. What do you folks think of it? Has anyone here put together similar kits for their families?<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#208 - 02/22/01 07:22 PM That's a whole bunch of T.P.! (nm)
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
no message<br><br>

#209 - 02/26/01 03:45 PM Re: Coffee Can Emergency Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is basically a simple survial kit in a novel container. What I see are the major advantages is low cost, house hold supplies, user friendly, durable.<br><br>The can be used to cook in, dig with, water container, etc. The list of supplies covers most areas adequately. Like any kit, there are choices to upgrade. Usually the upgrade is a trade off in terms of money.<br><br>The kit lists a box cutter with extra blades. Maybe $2-$3 worth of product. Simple, useful, inexpensive. For $20-$30 you could upgrade to a SAK.<br><br>I purchased a basics kit for my wifes car and my car. I have built my own kit that I also carry. All of them fill a need. The purchased kits provide basic emergency coverage. The custom kit provides more opportunity to improvise and more durable supplies.<br><br>Since they are kind enough to list the contents, I think is is a wonderful idea for you to build you own and share with friends and family.<br><br>

#210 - 08/11/01 01:55 PM Re: Coffee Can Emergency Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used a new paint can from the hardware store. It gives the added advantage of an airtight lid, and also a useful heavy wire handle. Fragile stuff I packed in a small coffee can that went inside the paint can. I also roll rope, twine and line around it. <br><br>In a pinch the paint can could be a bucket or a large pot. The only question I have is that these cans are coated with paint inside. It looks like grey primer. I don't know if this would be toxic if stuff was boiled in it, or if I punched holes in the paint can and used it as a hobo stove, would it emit noxous fumes? I've thought about repainting it with BBQ stove paint. The benefit of the coffee can is that I've seen people in Jamaica use these as cooking pots. I've thought about writing the paint can company, but the people at the store aren't real helpful at telling me where they got them from. What, am I going to scoop them out of the empty can business?<br><br>

#211 - 08/11/01 04:44 PM Re: Coffee Can Emergency Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The grey primer will burn. It is toxic and will react with acidic foods.You could turn the can upside down over a low fire and burn it out. Painting isn't a good idea, these cans can dent, and the primer readilly flakes off. <br><br>

#212 - 08/13/01 12:06 PM Re: Coffee Can Emergency Kit
Craig Offline

The people at the store think they aren't going to be making any money from you, so why should they spend any time on you. <br><br>I would buy something from them and then ask for the info. That's how I go about it.<br><br>

#213 - 08/13/01 05:20 PM Re: That's a whole bunch of T.P.! (nm)
Craig Offline

That's what I thought. A roll that size won't fit in the coffee cans I buy. I guess I'll have to be imaginative. Seems a shame to waste an empty coffee can, even if it's not the largest one.<br><br>

#214 - 09/08/01 03:57 AM Re: That's a whole bunch of T.P.! (nm)
Anonymous
Unregistered

January 10th 2000: With dismay I looked in my basement at all of the supplies and gear my wife and I had accumulated over the last year. Some of it would immediately go upstairs into the pantry, the garage, the tool shed, and that still left a whole bunch of stuff sitting on the shelves. What to do with it was upper most on my mind.<br><br>The solution:<br>I took apart the dried bulk food, powder drinks, long lasting stuff, and stored it away in our (little used-brand new food grade buckets). A heavy 3-mill can liner went inside first. Then after taking each food itemout of it's box/bag/carton/jar, I resealed it, waterproofed it, and carefully put it inside the bucket. Two weeks later I have three five gallon buckets sitting there that will provide my family and I with enough supplies to last us about a month. That's everything we could need, short of a Motel-6 out in the woods.<br><br>Then I took a bunch of coffee cans. The Big Ones. Did the same thing with them. Wrapped in trash can liners to keep out moisture, then wrapped in aluminum foil, then another liner, and finally a nice layer of duct tape.<br><br>There are one in each of my vehicles, and their handy too. Enough food, water, matches, etc, for two people for a few days.<br><br>Each item food item (such as instant coffe or milk) is sealed in a ziplock bag. The rolled tightly. Then I use electrical tape to keep it rolled tight into a small bundle. Aluminum foild is wrapped around the small package, then a layer of duct tape.<br>Make sure you mark what's inside the package.<br><br>Some of the things in my coffee can kit:<br>Instant coffee<br>Powder Milk<br>Powder Eggs<br>Flour<br>Sugar paks<br>Salt paks<br>pepper paks<br>Kool Aid<br>Hot Chocolate<br>Instant Oatmeal<br>Instant Soup<br>Chocolate Camdy<br>Matches<br>Plastic Spoon/Fork/Knife<br>P-38 Can Opener<br>Toilet Tissue<br>Disposable Lighter<br>Emergency Poncho<br>Tube Tent<br>Snare Wire<br>Pocket Knife<br>Compass<br>and so forth...<br>Hope It Helps..<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 517 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
49 minutes 55 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.