Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#206925 - 08/30/10 01:02 AM Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I live near the Delaware Canal.

From the canal park web site:

"The Delaware Canal is the only remaining continuously intact canal of the great towpath canal building era of the early and mid-19th century. Mule drawn canal boat rides and the Lock Tender's House Visitor Center are at New Hope"

In 2004, 2005 and 2006, the Delaware river flooded and destroyed huge sections of the canal. While some repairs were made in 2005, they were incomplete. For five years, the canal was left partly drained, and nature quickly took over.

Fortunately, about 2 1/2 years ago, they started a rebuilding project on the canal, and this past July 23rd, they opened the fill gates and started re-filling the canal.

The re-filling of the canal meant that a 20 year tradition here in our area - the "Upper Black Eddy Decorated Canoe Parade" - could resume after a five year hiatus.

However, in five years, trees grow, some fall and aquatic weeds grow thick. There was no way to get a canoe down the one-mile parade route with all of the branches and trees and cat-tails and so on along the way.

So, today, several local folks loaded up a rowboat with pole saws, chain saws, ropes, machetes, rakes and more, and waded into the canal at the parade start and we slogged our way down-river for a mile in belly-deep to chest-deep water, in mud that ranged from over your feet to up to your knees and we cleared every last fallen tree, pulled out huge branches and logs, trimmed back cattails and pushed massive clumps of weeds out of the way.

That's me in the white hat and blue shirt, and my son, with his back to the camera, with the hedge trimmer.

There are many homes along the canal, and there's a path along side the canal. Several folks who saw us working changed their clothes and jumped right into the canal with us (and the fishing spiders, eels, leeches and snapping turtles and through the stinging nettle).

At one point, the state park police showed up - we didn't ask for permission or tell anyone of our plans - and all they had to say was "thank you" - and they asked us to keep the cut up branches off the tow-path.

I am fairly certain that using my chainsaw while sanding in chest-deep water must violate some part of the warranty, but I looked over the manual when I get home and it didn't say anything specifically about that, so I think I'm OK.

Although both my legs are red with welts from all the stinging nettle that lined the canal sides, and I have more than a few scrapes and bumps, it was a fantastic day all around.

#206928 - 08/30/10 01:16 AM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Looks like ya'll did a lot of work, great job!

Now I have to ask,

Having been in the fire service, how many water rescues have you had to make?

You know I am being the devil's advocate, but I see no PFD's or rescue equipment should someone "float away".

I assume the camera operator was standing on the rescue stuff incase it was needed.

Again, great job on the clean up.

RIP OBG

#206930 - 08/30/10 01:24 AM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Fantastic. Volunteers rock!

#206931 - 08/30/10 01:47 AM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap!!!!!
Well done.
-BLast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#206935 - 08/30/10 03:42 AM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: MartinFocazio]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Wonderful..i hope you get some pats on the back for that--
photos of the canoe event would be great follow up.

#206939 - 08/30/10 04:40 AM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: MartinFocazio]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Good on you and your crew Martin.

Whenever I have cleared a trail and hikers come through, they always stop and watch. WTH, they are welcome to help out. So I am heartened that the folks that saw you working chose to help out.

You think the kukhuri I was using last time kept folks from jumping in to help? cool

#206942 - 08/30/10 06:02 AM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: aloha]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Well done Sir.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#206954 - 08/30/10 12:23 PM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: Desperado]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Having been in the fire service, how many water rescues have you had to make?

RESCUES? One. 3rd degree burn victim from a boat fire.
BODY RECOVERIES? More than a few. By the time we get called, they are long dead.
[/quote]

Originally Posted By: Desperado

You know I am being the devil's advocate, but I see no PFD's or rescue equipment should someone "float away".

I assume the camera operator was standing on the rescue stuff in case it was needed.

Yes, there was a shoreline crew and you can't see the ropes and stuff in this picture. The water was moving very slowly, and we were in constant close with everyone. The largest danger was from falling branches as we cut. We did one experiment to see if cutting from a rowboat was a better idea than standing in the water. It wasn't. However, on two occasions, the pole saw engine dipped into the water while running, this was not good, but we were able to quickly clear it and get it running again.

#206960 - 08/30/10 01:40 PM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: MartinFocazio]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Ah... community effort. LOVE IT. My compliments to you, Sir.

#206977 - 08/30/10 04:18 PM Re: Mud, Spiders, Muck Mire & Fun [Re: MostlyHarmless]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Great work. your efforts will assist many people in their enjoyment

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.