Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#207231 - 09/03/10 10:49 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: rotorheadcfi
Background info: I am a helicopter flight instructor in the pacific northwest. I spend a fair amount of my day over the coastal mountain range instructing pilots in the finer art of flying and landing aircraft away from airports and runways.

Needless to say, there is a bit of risk associated with my current job, and a survival kit is virtually indispensable.

Here is the trick though: Flying small, piston engined helicopters, I am severely weight limited, and storage space is also extremely limited. I need to keep any kit as light weight and compact as possible.

Here's what I have so far (starting from top left):
First row:
2 - 1 gal. storage bags;1- waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches, a fishing hook and sewing thread; 1-Gerber Gator folding knife; 550 paracord;

Second row:
1- First Aid Kit containing various bandages, pads, surgical tape, antiseptics, alcohol pads, guaze, razor blade, shears, moleskin, and other various FAK contents. Also a Bic lighter thrown in as well; 2 film canisters, the first containing steel wool and fire cube, the second containing water purification tabs; emergency blanket; compass (wrapped in duck tape). Everything is contained in double wrapped vacuum sealed plastic bags.

Additional gear that always goes with me: Nomex flight suit, Helmet, folding CRKT knife, couple of plastic bottles of water, VFR sectional chart (fancy aviation term for a map wink ), gloves, and a cell phone.

What I feel I am missing: I think I need to have a means of boiling water, so I am going to get a stainless water bottle. I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

Anything else I am missing? Any changes anyone would suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Bin the wire wool and battery. It's a party trick. If you want to put anything in there make it cotton wool and petrolium jelly balls.
Also:

I would bin the Gerber in favour of either a One Handed Trekker or a decent multitool- and that means either a Leatherman Wave or a Victorinox Spirit - as that gives you both a blade and a saw. Critical kit for shelter building etc..

Other realistic point I would make is that in a Helicopter historically you will either land/ditch it successfully, or perish in the crash. So perhaps a kit in a bag might be a better choice.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (09/03/10 12:17 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#207245 - 09/03/10 03:25 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
One Hand Trekker, Trekker, Rucksak . . . any of the large format Swiss Army Knives with a locking main blade and saw.

#207249 - 09/03/10 06:58 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Handheld avation radio to backup the one in the bird and PLB? Small Military type strobe?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#207255 - 09/03/10 08:04 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I would bin the Gerber in favour of either a One Handed Trekker or a decent multitool- and that means either a Leatherman Wave or a Victorinox Spirit - as that gives you both a blade and a saw. Critical kit for shelter building etc..

Agreed! Not to keen on Aircraft But Vehicles of all sorts can provide a lot in a situation and With a multitool taking one apart can be much easier. I personally never go out without my leatherman kick grin

#207270 - 09/03/10 11:07 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would be highly motivated to have some water on hand.

Slip three or four half-liter bottles of water into my flight jacket. Bare minimum would be two.

Yes, that is two pounds but you get two small canteens, hard to carry or chemically treat water if you don't have containers, and the disposable plastic bottles are both free and much better than plastic bags.

Using a filter straw doesn't mean you don't need to carry water. In a survival situation having to start by worrying about water because you have none is a terrible way to start. A liter, ideally two, of water on-hand and ready to go gives you something to work with and something to tide you over during the first difficult hours when you are rattled by the situation and getting your footing.

#208223 - 09/17/10 02:31 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Let's make some assumptions - You're preparing to go down in a wooded/remote area; and your flying a helicopter.

From this I'm assuming that
1) its a fairly hard landing and
2) someone will come looking pretty soon. ( <24 hours)

I'd carry:
1. a plb
2. jacket
3. first aid kit
4. basic survival kit

TRO

#208235 - 09/17/10 04:54 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My next kit will look like Doug Ritter Essentials Overwater Aviator Survival Vest ™. Probably not necessary for the OP. I have all the gear in the vest including the PLB and Laser Flare, just need the vest at this point. Yes, I require flotation in a vest.

I know the OP's point in asking the question, but any off-field landing in rotary wing has the potential to go wrong. Having all your essential gear on your person is essential IMO.

#208247 - 09/17/10 08:41 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps a fly fishing vest with added reflective tape?

#208317 - 09/20/10 12:31 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Thanks everyone.
...Other big concern, unfortunately, is weight and storage space. The aircraft I fly have very small useful loads, and taking extra equipment often means taking less fuel, which is not always a great trade off. I figure I can spare about 3#. The entire kit needs to fit within a pocket in my flight bag.

We have specific procedures in place whenever an aircraft is dispatched, which includes the pilot/instructor creating a manifest of who is on board, where you are going, when you will return, etc. We also fill out a dispatch board with the same info, and a few more specific bits of info. If we are going past 25 miles from the airport, we file a VFR flight plan and update the info with FSS if we make any changes.

We have a fair amount of aircraft in the air all day long, and we all work together. We report our positions to each other quite often, not only for traffic avoidance, but also if there was a problem, it would narrow the search grid a fair amount.

Our company is looking into other methods of tracking flights, we tested some satellite tracking system, we have some ELT's installed in some aircraft. But all of that is in the test phase at this point.

I was wondering if you already had an ELT on board. The crews I've been around (central CA Sierras) have always had a kit on board for an unplanned stay in the woods. They had a small stove, a little food, sleeping bags and other useful woodsgear.

It sounds like any probability of area for you will be pretty high, so for a 3# kit in your flight suit, I would focus on small custom medical (4 aspirin, 4 benadryl, tourniquet, small dressing), personal security (method to make a spear, which could be a small blade and a small saw, such as: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?pf_id=07.100&s=JapanWoodworker or a SAK,), shelter (2 space blankets or bag), water (plastic bag and 6 tabs or survival straw, such as here: http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/WaterPurificationProducts.htm#Aquamira Frontier Pro ), reference material (the "Pocket Survival Pak instructions" sheet on this site is very good: http://www.equipped.org/psp/psp_survival_instructions_0206.pdf ), fire (lighter, matches, mag/ferro rod, PSC tinder), tools (small wire or artificial sinew spool, needle and kevlar thread), signal (mirror, whistle), button compass and food (millenium bars). Priorities would adjust according to the seasons and other variables.
If you have anywhere to store a down sleeping bag(s) on board, I would try to keep it as part of your regular kit. 3# isn't a lot of leeway.

Edited by Basecamp (09/20/10 02:32 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.