Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207002 - 08/31/10 01:27 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
It isn't unknown for helicopter pilots to land hard and be unable to get out of their seat. What you have to work with may be what you can reach while strapped in.

That's what happened to Mike Durant when he landed hard in Mogadishu. Despite the shock absorbers built into his seat, the impact broke one of his legs and some vertebrae cracked from compression. He likely would not have been able to exit the craft without being pulled out by Shughart or Gordon.

#207005 - 08/31/10 02:07 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
rotorheadcfi Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
Thanks everyone.

Couple of quick points. My main concern isn't necessarily a crash landing (although that is a possibility). More likely is a situation requiring either a forced or precautionary landing, followed by a forced vacation in the woods. An example situation occurred a few years ago, when an instructor had to make a forced landing on a logging road in the mountain. They were picked up by another helicopter just a few minutes before dark. Any later and they would have had to wait at least another day, and considering the unpredictable weather in the PNW, there is no guarantee that the next day's weather will be any conducive to getting an aircraft in.

Other big concern, unfortunately, is weight and storage space. The aircraft I fly have very small useful loads, and taking extra equipment often means taking less fuel, which is not always a great trade off. I figure I can spare about 3#. The entire kit needs to fit within a pocket in my flight bag.

I like the idea of the PLB, I'll be looking into that as finances allow. Unfortunately, that might be a bit.

Signal mirror also seems like a good idea. I'll be picking one up shortly.

The space blanket is far from ideal, but in a compromise between weight, compactness and versatility, it's probably about the best I can do. Realistically, in cold weather, I would likely be working to create shelter and fire, and use that for warmth.

Any other ideas are of course welcome.

#207010 - 08/31/10 02:51 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Given the scenario you've outlined, it seems to me that a saw would be a highly practical addition. There is no more efficient tool for gathering wood or making shelter. And the weight penalty is minimal.

#207011 - 08/31/10 02:57 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Swap the knife in your kit for an SAK Rucksak, locking main blade and saw in the larger Swiss Army format.

#207012 - 08/31/10 03:08 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
With a three pound limit, you can put together a decently comprehensive kit, somewaht broader in scope than what you have now. Really pay attention to ounces - I would look long and hard at the need for two knives (I do not buy into the "two is one, and one is none" philosophy), and you can get lighter knives of comparable utility than what you have now.

Consider one or two very light freeze dried meals to go along with your snacks. You should have no problem getting water.

I am curious, does your office or any one else track your flights? We did this in the Channel Islands with every flight - it really paid off when a helo had to set down on the ocean one fine day, but only for about an hour. This was before the PLB era. After reading Ritter's post carefully, I think he may be suggesting that get a PLB.

And yes, it sounds like you have an extremely fascinating job.

#207017 - 08/31/10 03:42 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin [Re: hikermor]
rotorheadcfi Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I am curious, does your office or any one else track your flights? We did this in the Channel Islands with every flight - it really paid off when a helo had to set down on the ocean one fine day, but only for about an hour. This was before the PLB era. After reading Ritter's post carefully, I think he may be suggesting that get a PLB.

We have specific procedures in place whenever an aircraft is dispatched, which includes the pilot/instructor creating a manifest of who is on board, where you are going, when you will return, etc. We also fill out a dispatch board with the same info, and a few more specific bits of info. If we are going past 25 miles from the airport, we file a VFR flight plan and update the info with FSS if we make any changes.

We have a fair amount of aircraft in the air all day long, and we all work together. We report our positions to each other quite often, not only for traffic avoidance, but also if there was a problem, it would narrow the search grid a fair amount.

Our company is looking into other methods of tracking flights, we tested some satellite tracking system, we have some ELT's installed in some aircraft. But all of that is in the test phase at this point.

Originally Posted By: hikermor

And yes, it sounds like you have an extremely fascinating job.

I could definitely have a worse job. wink

#207037 - 08/31/10 05:34 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin [Re: rotorheadcfi]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Just wondering how water fits into your overall weight limit,
at 2lbs per QT are you already including it as part of you normal
flight kit?
Considering your 3 lb limit I would leave out a hard water bottle
and pack the platy bag.
I would also opt for a HD foil cook pan.
Even an empty nalgene with a SS cook cup will weight together almost 10-11 oz.
yep 6.2 oz 4.9 oz , bottle & cup, thats to much of a weight penalty if you have only a 3 pound total limit.

BTW the RuckSak knife mentioned is well worth having.

Edited by frediver (08/31/10 05:50 PM)

#207038 - 08/31/10 05:43 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
A mosquito headnet to save you from being eaten alive, while you boil water for a brew waiting for SAR to pick you up after activating your brand new shiny PLB smile

#207206 - 09/03/10 12:10 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin [Re: frediver]
rotorheadcfi Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: frediver
Just wondering how water fits into your overall weight limit,
at 2lbs per QT are you already including it as part of you normal
flight kit?
Considering your 3 lb limit I would leave out a hard water bottle
and pack the platy bag.
I would also opt for a HD foil cook pan.
Even an empty nalgene with a SS cook cup will weight together almost 10-11 oz.
yep 6.2 oz 4.9 oz , bottle & cup, thats to much of a weight penalty if you have only a 3 pound total limit.

BTW the RuckSak knife mentioned is well worth having.

Since I usually carry a liter or so of water, calculated into my flight weight, I am good with carrying that amount + up to 3# additionally, although, keeping it lighter is better.

#207217 - 09/03/10 01:18 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin [Re: rotorheadcfi]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: rotorheadcfi
I am good with carrying that amount + up to 3# additionally, although, keeping it lighter is better.

Suppose there'd be repercussions if you made student-pilot weight restrictions 3 lbs more stringent. Ergo, kit capacity just increased 100%! smirk

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 331 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.