The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#206663 - 08/24/10 12:47 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Art, that's part of the problem. The Tacoma's bed rail has only 5 (I think) spots where their proprietary cleats will securely fasten. The rail itself runs the length of the bed, however.

Richlacal, I'll have to swing by Home Depot today and eyeball those parts. Thanks.

Old school is that it is a truck and a service vehicle and they break out the drill and a half-dozen sets of eye bolts, standard and fender washers for both sides, and nuts to fit. If they were pedantic they might squirt a bit of silicone under the washers, snug them up just enough to squeeze out the air and come back after the silicone was dry and torque them. With a pad of silicone underneath they are vibration resistant and won't cause the body panel to rust out. You mount them at all strategic locations.

Cleats are more my style and the nylon ones are light, cheap, and just about strong enough for any reasonable load. But you still need to through-bolt and use a wide and thick backing plate or large-diameter washers stacked to keep them from flexing.

Kind of ruins the resale value, at least for the wider population who don't know what a truck is about, but traditionally you keep a truck until the wheels fall off.

#207433 - 09/07/10 05:13 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
A cargo bar might fit your needs - it's there when you need it, out of the way when you don't, not too expensive. It is also, as Alton Brown says, a multitasker and will work on many items, not just a jerry can. I used to have a generic cheap version that held my rubbermaid tote, etc against the cab.

#208485 - 09/23/10 07:33 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

I'm using a couple of Quick Fist XL straps bolted to the bed of my truck.
http://www.endroad.com/catalog/item/675042/4486555.htm
http://www.endroad.com/i//QFCollagePhoto.jpg

#208502 - 09/23/10 07:48 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
sotto Offline
Addict

I have a bed liner in my 4WD Ford Ranger, and there are slots along the sides of the liner near the floor of the truck bed to match slots that are molded into the actual metal sides of the truck bed. These slots take 2X lumber boards. You can see that there are slots also in the sides of the truck bed pix on that Cargo Stabilizer Bar website. I use two 2X8 inch boards to stabilize my loads and move them around as necessary. Usually I only need one. I could use 2X10 or 2x12" as well, but haven't found it necessary. A side benefit of these boards is that you can actually use them to span a short gap in the road surface, if necessary, or create a small ramp, and I have used them for this purpose when off-roading. One tool, multiple uses.

#208715 - 09/30/10 01:09 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I made a rack out of 1" PVC pipe for my plastic fuel and water containers. Most everything was off-the-shelf at Home Depot, except for some of the connectors (which I found on the Internet). I used U-bolts to attach this PVC carrier to my safari rack, but no reason you couldn't bolt it into the bed of a pickup.

This setup took us over 5,000 miles round-trip plus at least another 500 miles off-road during a month-long trip, then survived another 2 years on the truck with occasional use carrying fuel and water. When I got rid of the truck this spring I removed the carrier from the rack and it was still in fine shape, other than some loss of paint from rubbing.

These are the best pix I can find of the setup:

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZCeiXDvpQQH1Av0eTdFAdw?feat=directlink[/img]

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DbN9M-sp97cDp_rNPCw0ZQ?feat=directlink[/img]

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZEj2alJKj9_wyfUMxY01UQ?feat=directlink[/img]

[Edit: IDK why images aren't displaying in-line. frown ]

Edited by Mark_M (09/30/10 01:11 AM)

#208717 - 09/30/10 01:25 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Good idea with the PVC. I don't have a roof rack, but did fiddle around one weekend trying to make a truck bed-type rack.

I went out to grab a bed-bar. Found one cheap at Harbor Freight. Seems OK, a smidge loose, but I'll have to fill up the tanks sometime and cruise them around town.

#211651 - 11/20/10 06:58 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
handle Offline
Stranger

suving when shtf is an invtition to getting shot, but don't you think that your vehicle will be so full of stuff that the jerrycans will just be held upright by everything else? PU trucks, etc, just don't hold that much gear and food, guys.

#212321 - 12/03/10 07:38 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
rvbcave Offline
Stranger

Loc: Fl
Hey Gang,

First time poster here. I have a Tacoma and use these: http://www.imsplus.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30139 attached to a "Chest" style toolbox in the bed. I did replace the webbing to a tubular stronger webbing. One other thing I did was to spray black rubber in the bottom of the bracket to cut down the chance of metal on metal sparking. So far this works great. I have observed these mounted in all sorts of positions.

Cheers,
R

#212334 - 12/03/10 09:35 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: rvbcave]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, R! I've been looking for a good way to carry gas cans in my Tacoma. It didn't occur to me to bolt something like this to my bedbox.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#212465 - 12/06/10 01:03 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Hey RVBCave, nice site you use, I have used them for a while! Luckily I live a few miles from the actual store, I love the service you get! Welcome to the forum, No affiliation to the forementioned!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.