Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206150 - 08/14/10 04:04 PM Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions?
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

Hello all, first post here but maybe I can get the quick answer I'm looking for.

After some evaluation and thought, I've decided to switch to wide-mouth stainless steel bottles in lieu of my wide-mouth Nalgene plastic ones. The reasoning behind this is first: you can boil water directly in a stainless bottle without much thought to it, and also you can use rock boiling if necessary. Second: stainless is more durable than plastic. It is possible to crack Nalgene, and also to melt Nalgene. Not looking for an argument here on which is better Steel or Nalgene.

Can anyone recommend a really great quality 1 quart, non-tapered Stainless Steel wide-mouth bottle? I am specifically looking for durable, lightweight, quality construction. (U.S. made preferable). It would also be great if someone had successfully (if not repeatedly) used their recommended bottle to boil water before... I've read some reviews about hard to remove metal dust, thin overseas construction, and just general lack of quality.

Thanks for any input you are able to provide.

Cheers,

-Mike

#206151 - 08/14/10 04:28 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Nalgene palstic bottles are made in the USA, however their stainless steel models are made in China. This also goes for the Filzer Kewl bottle brands.

The Klean Canteen brand of SS bottles are marketed as designed in the USA..that does not mean they were made there.

Regardless, all three of these brands are comparable in quality and the respective companies have a lot riding on their product reputation so you really cannot go wrong with any of them. Also none of the newer bottle models do not have a plastic liner which hindeer their use for boiling water.

Of the three, the Klean Canteen is more preferable as is the lid comes right off the bottle, meaning it is not held on by a retaining ring to prevent you from inadvertantly losing the lid or have it fall down a 300' cliff... I have seen it happen. With a retaing ring holding the lid on, you would need to be careful that any open flame or heat source does not either deform or melt the lid. However if I was ever in the situation where I had to boil water in my water bottle I would just cut the retainng ring off the bottle.

John Lubbock

#206152 - 08/14/10 05:03 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: Teslinhiker]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I have both the Nalgene Guyot in the 32oz and the Kleen Kanteen in I think the 22 oz, both wide mouth. While I've never had the need to boil water in either, both are rated by the manufacturer for that purpose in an emergency. There are you tube vids with the guyot bottle boiling water as I viewed one prior to purchasing my bottle. If a person was going to boil water in either bottle they had probably better have heavy leather gloves, a pot holder or pliers to handle getting it off the fire.

I like the design of the Guyot the better of the two, it just feels more substantial, I love the design of the cordage loop between the bottle and cap-perfect for hanging the bottle off of gear and the 32oz is just a better size for me as well as the correct size in the case of the need for treatment tabs.

#206153 - 08/14/10 05:06 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestion [Re: ShelterMe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Also check this thread There are some good related ideas for water storage/carrying etc

Edited by Teslinhiker (08/14/10 07:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed link

John Lubbock

#206184 - 08/15/10 12:07 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Guyoet bottles are my first choice. If you can tug on a cord, you can get the lid completely off, it isn't that big a deal.

The straight sided 40oz is the same size at the 1L Nalgene, while the max dimensions on the 32oz are the same but it tappers a little to the base- my preference, easier to push back int the pocket one handed.

I know a lot of people like Kleen Kanteen- I don't, beucase they use a funny sized lid. The Guyoets use the same size and thread as the wide mouth Nalgenes, which works well for me with my other stuff for the Nalgenes.

And both of those, while designed in the US, are made overseas. Which sea? Go to the west coast of Japan, and keep going west. That sea- next stop, China. *sighs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#206202 - 08/15/10 02:03 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: Teslinhiker]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

"Also none of the newer bottle models do not have a plastic liner which hindeer their use for boiling water."

--hang on, am I understanding this wrong, do they all HAVE plastic liners or insulation in their construction?

I'm not planning on routinely boiling in these, but it would be nice if this was a possibility, instead of "well, in an emergency I guess you could boil water in them..."

Thanks!!

#206289 - 08/16/10 11:21 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

OK I have two quotes from two different people...

"...The Guyoets use the same size and thread as the wide mouth Nalgenes, which works well for me with my other stuff for the Nalgenes..."

"...you can take the super light plastic caps off of any wide mouth bottles (Nalgene..etc) that you own and put them onto the Guyot..."

Problem is: bought the 40oz Standard Guyot bottle and tried another lid from the wide mouth Nalgenes on display next to it, and lo and behold it doth not fit. Threads on the steel bottle are slightly different from the ones on the plastic Nalgenes. Still a great bottle, but would be nice to switch to a smaller lid... Any thoughts, or am I out of my mind and I should have tried a couple more lids with it...?

-M

#206382 - 08/18/10 01:20 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

-M [/quote]

The threads are spaced wider on the Guyot Bottles, yes. But the Nalgene Caps go on just fine. The Nalgene Stainless Steel bottles are made by Guyot for Nalgene. They all fit for me like a glove.

Here's a picture straight from the Guyot's own Flickr Group account showing the compatibility.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19330304@N05/1927807338/in/pool-527246@N24/

[/quote]

OK... Went to EMS today and tried some more lids for this bottle... Bought one of the replacement wide-mouth Nalgene lids. I DID see the pic you posted, looked great to me. But then I tried again and I hate to admit it (because you seem like an upstanding guy), but my first thought was "is this guy on glue?" LOL... Anyway, here are some pics of what the result was. I don't know if they changed the thread pattern, or if I got a lemon, or what. But here you go. (I'm about to write Guyot and see what their take on it is.) Am I losing my mind or is something here amiss?

Attachments
guyot_threads.jpg

Description: Here is the thread pattern. Guyot standard 40oz S.S. Bottle.

guyot_offset1.jpg

Description: Here is the new lid (you can see how offset the lid is here)

guyot_offset2.jpg

Description: Another angle here... Threads no not line up any which way. Water leaks out as well...

Edited by ShelterMe (08/18/10 01:27 AM)
Edit Reason: added files the right way this time...

#206389 - 08/18/10 02:32 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I agree with Izzy, it sure doesn't look like my guyot bottle.

#206405 - 08/18/10 03:58 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: rebwa]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Wiggy's bottles are sometimes mentioned as a good option for boiling water. The have steel lids.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=22

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.