The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#206201 - 08/15/10 01:41 PM makeshift paracord needle; and my edc keychain
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
A little mish-mash here:

check out the photos above for a working paracord needle if you don't have one better; you just need a small finish nail that has a little head to it; then the burn will hold it in. has to be smooth to avoid snag. this is the smallest you are gonna get I think.

Here is my EDC keychain:

there are lots of knots you can finish a loop with nicely w/ no ends visible, and adjustable. If I recall, this was a wall/crown combo on three strands, then follwed through

Edited by kevingg (08/17/10 01:21 AM)

#206286 - 08/16/10 08:19 PM Re: makeshift paracord needle; and my edc keychain [Re: kevingg]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Nice, but where is the keychain?

#206288 - 08/16/10 11:13 PM Re: makeshift paracord needle; and my edc keychain [Re: Alex]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

That's pretty slick. I hadn't thought of melting the nylon around the head.

I've made needles for such uses by tightly folding a foot length of copper or music wire and using one of several methods to hold the two fee ends together to form a rough point.

The best I've bade were made of stiff music wire, available at a hobby shop and used for models, that I lightly brazed the free end together and left about an inch unbrazed where the bend was made. This bent end I spread a bit after it cooled to form a head on the needle and I worked the pointy end with files and a Dremel tool to form the point I wanted.

I've done the same thing with copper wire and solder. A bend of wire might also brazed or soldered into the thin brass tubing available at any good hobby shop and some hardware stores. Eighth-inch copper tubing used in refrigeration work might be employed. I've never used it but suspect that with the wire welded into position for a head to gold the line and the other end of the tube sealed shut and formed to make a point such an assembly might make a functional item.

If your handy with a Dremel tool, wear those safety glasses, you might experiment with a slightly larger nail and using an abrasive cut-off wheel to cut a slot opposite the pointy end. A sixteen penny nail might work but I would start with something like a 20d spike.

Threading paracord into these 'needles' is easier if you milk the core threads out and cut them off so six inches or so is a bit thinner and flexible. Run through the head of your needle the cord will tend to lock in the tight bend of the wire but if your going to be pulling hard a few stitches with a regular needle and thread holds the free end so there no risk the cord will pull back through the eye on your new paracord needle.

More recently I've been told that there might be suitable huge needles available at any good sewing shop but the need was long gone by the time the news got to me. And somewhere around here are a couple of nice ones I've made.

#206297 - 08/17/10 01:21 AM Re: makeshift paracord needle; and my edc keychain [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
sorry (dope slap myself LOL) forgot the link, thanks! edited the original post

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 550 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.