The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#205957 - 08/12/10 01:12 PM Re: Runners I need advice [Re: MartinFocazio]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I get the same thing every morning I run. I run in the morning dark (usually) and right after getting up. The first 1/2 mile is the worst as my body is catching up to what my brain is telling it to do. After that first 1/2 mile, my body catches up to it. It is now simply a known fact and I just push through it knowing that as soon as I reach the park I will be in stride with my breathing settled down and then I can enjoy the next 4, 5, 10 miles whatever. Happens every time.

If you look at it as a necessary evil and simply accept it, knowing full well that it will be gone by the time I get to x place, it is much easier to get through it.

Believe it or not, it is easier for me to run this way rather than later in the day when I feel like I am dragging for most of the run.

Bill

#206146 - 08/14/10 02:53 PM Re: Runners I need advice [Re: williamlatham]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Martin, as a running/triathlon/endurance coach, you are not alone in dealing with the first few minutes of running.

Everyone can give you some advice on warming up or whatever and I think everyone can come up for what works best for them but the best advice I can give you is not a physical adaptation but a mental one....

NEVER JUDGE A RUN BY THE FIRST TEN MINUTES.

Running can be very hard on the body for the first few minutes until it reaches a point of bio-mechanical fluidity and internal adaptation. Add to this daily stress that affects you mentally.

As long as your not blasting the beginning of your run into an anaerobic zone, as you've already seen once you get past the first ten minutes your good.

#206223 - 08/16/10 12:06 AM Re: Runners I need advice [Re: comms]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Thanks - this is exactly my situation. If I make it 10, I make it an hour...
"fluidity" is exactly the feeling that I get once I get there...it's getting there that's the trick!

"Blasting into anaerobic" is very much what it felt like...I'm slowing my pace a bunch (jogging at a fast walk) and that's been the most important thing, I think I was starting too fast.

Still hard to start, but not AS hard...thanks for giving words to what I need to know.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.