Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#207691 - 09/10/10 06:07 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Why not use a quart ( freezer) ziploc bag? Cheap, sturdy, already on the 1 q size...
Or better yet, carry a water bottle.

#207729 - 09/11/10 12:53 AM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: TANSTAF1
I have many standard canteens and water carriers for when I got camping or hiking or in case the SHTF, such as military ones, 5 gallon collapsibles, Sawyer .02 micron water filters, Sport Berkeys, etc.

What I am seeking is something that will fold up and fit in a Altoids tin and leave room for other things. I am currently using a heavy duty freezer bag, but am seeking something more durable.

I found these:

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1QtEmergencyWaterBag.InHand.2.jpg

Anyone familiar with them?

I've read a lot about them. While I haven't tried them yet they have a great reputation. Maybe I'll have to purchase a few and give 'em a shot.

#207739 - 09/11/10 03:08 AM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: Phaedrus]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've been using the Aqua-Pouch's for about 2 1/2 yrs.now,Since I found the Oven(Turkey bags) leak.I consider them to be Essential to All of my Kits,They stand on their own with a Litre of water in em' so Filling/filtering can be readily done,& they have grommet holes to tie some paracord thru them.I have not folded them down to fit into an Altoids can,though I understand they are capable,& retain their resiliency as far as the zip-lok is concerned,should you want to.The large opening accomadates snow for melting,should that be needed,& they are re-usable many time's over,They are Fairly Darn Tough as,far as Plastic goes,& Priced Right,You simply can't go wrong,with these! I have No Affiliation other than, Very Well Pleased with this Invention!

#207744 - 09/11/10 05:16 AM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
You sold me on 'em, Rich! grin I just ordered 2 x 3 pack one quart Aqua-Pouches and 3 x 1 liter (the kind with the zipper lock and carry grommets), as well as one prefilter support. I didn't go for the full kit with the purification tablets, but I may add some of my own later. The ziplock 1 liter bags might be more useful overall, given the grommets and the fact that they're more than twice as thick, but you can't beat the compactness of the 1 quart ones that don't zip. Those should fit an altoids tin with ease.

#207753 - 09/11/10 12:23 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
sotto Offline
Addict

I'm sorry to drag this slightly off topic, but if you try this, you will be one happy camper. Regarding the sock part of this post, I have discovered Merino wool/silk hiking socks made by the Wigwam company. I get mine from REI co-op. They are cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and completely awesomely soft and comfortable on your feet always. Truly cosmic sock experience. They cost about $20 per pair, but in actuality they are priceless IMHO, and wear like velvet iron. Oh, presumably they would soak up a great deal of dew or whatever and squeeze nicely into one of those Aqua pouches, too.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.