Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#205904 - 08/11/10 10:25 PM Re: An Odd Thought About Places that Prohibit Firearms [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: haertig
I thought it was funny that schools and prisons were lumped together in the example.

That was funny

#205929 - 08/12/10 02:28 AM Re: An Odd Thought About Places that Prohibit Firearms [Re: KenK]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"If someone uses a gun, knife, or a pitch fork to aid in a crime, I'm OK if they throw the book at them."

There you go again! You want the person tried for the crime, rather than the inanimate weapon.

Sue

#205930 - 08/12/10 02:31 AM Re: An Odd Thought About Places that Prohibit Firearms [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"I thought it was funny that schools and prisons were lumped together in the example."

Not so funny... most of the inmates aren't volunteers at either one. Mandatory public school, mandatory prison sentence -- not much difference. In real fact, there is a direct correlation between poor schooling and prison sentences.

Sue

#205938 - 08/12/10 03:34 AM Re: An Odd Thought About Places that Prohibit Firearms [Re: Susan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Susan
"If someone uses a gun, knife, or a pitch fork to aid in a crime, I'm OK if they throw the book at them."

There you go again! You want the person tried for the crime, rather than the inanimate weapon.

Sue

I agree there. All types of weird stuff happens in the courts when the tool makes a huge difference on the severity of the sentence. Plus, there is more room for mistakes in justice.

Keep it simple. Try the person.

#206033 - 08/13/10 02:16 AM Re: An Odd Thought About Places that Prohibit Firearms [Re: ireckon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

I looked up the Vermont law (okay, I used Wikipedia, so sue me) and it is the most commonsense thing I've seen in a long time (forever, for weapons).

VERMONT

No permit needed to purchase.
No registration unnecessary.
No 'assault weapon' law.
No owner license required.
May carry open or concealed without permit.
No NFA weapons restricted.

State Preemption of local restrictions, yes.

"Vermont has very few gun control laws. Gun dealers are required to keep a record of all handgun sales. It is illegal to carry a gun on school property or in a courthouse. State law preempts local governments from regulating the possession, ownership, transfer, carrying, registration or licensing of firearms.

"The term "Vermont Carry" is used by gun rights advocates to refer to allowing citizens to carry a firearm concealed or openly without any sort of permit requirement. Vermont law does not distinguish between residents and non-residents of the state; both have the same right to carry while in Vermont.

"The Vermont constitution of 1793, based partly on the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, guarantees certain freedoms and rights to the citizens: 'That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence [defense] of themselves and the State — and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.'"

"Alaska is the first state to adopt carry laws mimicking Vermont's (normally referred to as 'Vermont Carry'), in which no license is required to carry a handgun either openly or concealed. However, to be in complete compliance with Federal Gun Free School Zone act[citation needed], licenses are still issued to residents who want them for purposes of carrying in other states via reciprocity. The term 'Alaska Carry' has been used to describe laws which require no license to carry handguns openly or concealed but licenses are still available for those who want them. Some city ordinances do not permit concealed carry without a concealed carry license, but these have been invalidated by the recent state preemption statute."

#206271 - 08/16/10 05:08 PM Re: An Odd Thought About Places that Prohibit Firearms [Re: Susan]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Wish i could find it, but a few years back I read an article by some well know psychologist about the similarities between prisons and schools, both physically and psychologically.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 560 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.