Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#205575 - 08/04/10 04:15 PM Cable or Satellite?
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Is satellite more likely to be available during a SHTF situation? For example, consider a major earthquake. I'm thinking that it's likely that cable will go completely out, whereas satellite is likely to be still operational assuming I have power. Are my thoughts generally correct?

For satellite, my main provider is DirecTV. For cable, my main provider is Comcast.

I'm getting sick of Comcast because they can't fix the reception problems at my house. Ever since cable switched to all digital, there have been reception problems. So, I'm working up the motivation for going through the trouble and switching to satellite.

#205576 - 08/04/10 04:29 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: ireckon]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Yes, if you have power and your dish is still intact and in position, your satellite connection would stand a better chance of being up than a cable connection.

HJ

#205579 - 08/04/10 05:27 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
My experience is that DirecTV provide woeful service for a premium price. I kicked them to the curb 2yrs ago and haven't looked back. OTA does just fine for me.

#205581 - 08/04/10 05:36 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: MarkO]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
We have Dish my parents have cable. It seems like the pictures they get are not always as goodas what we tend to get. Our OTA was very spotty so we had to do something.

#205585 - 08/04/10 06:18 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: ireckon]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'd want to know how likely it is that you'll have power if the cable service has gone out. Your satellite dish is pointed rather precisely at the satellite; is it still pointed in that direction after the shivers have stopped.

I would not pick a cable/satellite provider based on an earthquake, for what my opinion is worth. I'd go by service, price, and features, since that's the daily use, and I'd rely on over the air local TV and radio for local news in an emergency. In my area, rabbit ears work fine. The issue is whether I'll have power (and the house is still standing).

I'm not sure why for satellite there is a 'main provider'. We have Dish, but that's a happenstance of some local seller having Dish to sell. Are there limits to where satellite TV can go?

#205587 - 08/04/10 06:34 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: philip]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

With a backup generator, the likelihood of having power is about 100%. Even if we're talking power from the grid, grid power is likely to be restored before cable lines are fixed.

I'd rather have the option of not watching news on television, rather than my failed cable service making that decision for me.

As mentioned, I'm trying to work up motivation. Features are roughly the same between satellite and cable. So, there is no decision to be made on features. I just want the news and sports channels, and everything else is just extra.

This reliability issue during a disaster could be the difference. Comcast service is no longer more reliable on a daily basis either, ever since Comcast went to all digital. Regarding cost, I'll have to analyze the options, but I think I need another degree from college to figure that out. Rabbit ears are about worthless in my area.

As far as "main provider" goes, I'll revise that to say Comcast is the ONLY cable television provider in my area. As for satellite, "main" means most popular.

#205589 - 08/04/10 07:01 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: ireckon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

IMO TV is simply not necessary.

I lived for years without TV and found out that during disasters radio had more, and more frequent, local news. The TV stations were all regional and neighbors were actually less aware of what was going on locally watching TV. Yes, TV has pretty graphics but a much lower information density. Watching TV is also a fairly singular activity. I can do real work and listen to the radio but watching TV, not so much. I would save precious resources like gasoline for more important things than keeping the boob tube lit.

#205590 - 08/04/10 07:08 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: Art_in_FL]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Those are good points, Art. (Now, if we could just get you out to the range and turn you into a responsible gun owner... cool)

I admit that I need to ramp up my radio knowledge and capabilities. I work from a home office and TV news is on low volume the entire day. So, it's natural for me to figure out how to keep the TV going during a disaster. I need to spend the time and hone into local radio stations for news.

I just thought of another issue. The Internet would be valuable during a SHTF situation. Currently, my Internet runs through cable. Further, my home phone service runs through the Internet. Yeah, satellite is looking even better.

#205592 - 08/04/10 07:39 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Do you get free to air satellite broadcasts in the USA?

Setting up a low powered portable satellite TV reception antenna is pretty easy if the power went out. i.e. a Solar PV/SLA battery supply etc to power everything.

For your Portable Dish, Tripod, LNB and cabling;

http://www.sky4caravans.co.uk/satellite-touring-kit-p-50.html

A cheapo DVB-S USB box is available and can be used in conjuction with a low powered Netbook PC via the USB port, which allows recording of TV channels etc for playback.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15820

It only uses 7.5W so is easily powered by a Solar PV panel.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/04/10 10:11 PM)

#205593 - 08/04/10 07:50 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I have cable for internet and sat for TV. I used to install cable as a subcontractor, mainly hi-speed internet, but also TV.

If you have power your best bet is to have sat TV. I went out and determined the direction/angle on the sat dish, marked them down, then noted them in my "smart book". Should the dish shift, I can re-aim it and then call for tech support.

Having said that, I did stay with cable for the internet, only because DSL in my area is not so hot. What is odd, my power/cable/phone lines are underground. But I can go point to the spot they go back to arial - and if there is a good hurricane, I lose power.

I have two radios in the event I lose power. Pictures are not important, local news is. The past couple of hurricanes has proven that - local radio was 24/7 news that I needed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.