The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#205119 - 07/25/10 08:36 PM Something to pick your brains
PhoenixRising Offline
Stranger

Loc: NW Minnesota
I have a haz mat assessment for the region where I work. Im enclosing the scenario that I have to deal with, I know what im going to do Im curious if I missed anything so here goes;

I have recieved a rare opportunity; at one of the place that I assess they just elected a new sheriff, fire chief, ems manager and emergency management guy. We got a sit down to go over haz mat and decon; I know what Im going to say but what part would YOU have each of them play?

Its a small town about 2500 ppl in the summer; 2 fire trucks, 1 pumper 6 full time guys and about 20 trained volunteers. the truck has a foam option

LEO's have 4 cars 6 deputy sherrifs, NO swat and a actual posse of about 20 with two volunteer pilots

EMS has 2 als rigs 4 on staff paramedics, 2 emts + a rescue squad with a older ambulance and about 6 more ppl.

The hospital is a level 4 trauma center with a interior decon shower and an exterior 1 person decon tent. 3 people are trained in decon with another 4 available to help out

The nearest form of any kind of help is one hour away - This hospital has NO stocks of atropine injectors but atropine sulfate on hand.

There is a reverse 9-11 and it is fully functional, there is a local FM station and several members of the community have HAM / SHORTWAVE radios. The hospital has a HAM radio but no trained operator on staff

The hospital has its own generator capable of independant power for 3 days, along with the capability to conduct mass feeding for 3 days. The local high school has offered thier gym and football fields if needed.

And to really jog your brains the town has two carwashes, one can handle semi - and all the water is contained!

and to make things fun a crop duster has just crashed outside of town downwind of the town, and the sun has been up for thirty minuets. the previous nights weather has the temp for today to be 80 degrees...

And to make things interesting the local county fair opens today!

Hit me up Im curious how you all think, and yes you are the emergency manager!

#205120 - 07/25/10 08:54 PM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: PhoenixRising]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Request mutual aid be put on standby from nearby town that is 1 hour away. Reverse 9-1-1 area residents and ask them to stay home and shelter in place. Place a similar broadcast over the local FM radio station. Have the LEO's close off the roads to the fair and shut it down. Detail a posse pilot to overfly crash site if possible. Send fire dept. to stage upwind of the plane crash to deal with potential leak. Ask hospital and EMS to be on standby for contaminated casualties. Assign a ham radio operator to the command post and one to the hospital as backup communications. Decontaminate fire crews at truck wash as they return.

#205123 - 07/25/10 09:50 PM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: cedfire]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
First I would try to find out what (if anything) was in the cargo tank of the aircraft.

RIP OBG

#205125 - 07/25/10 10:22 PM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: Desperado]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
First I would try to find out what (if anything) was in the cargo tank of the aircraft.

First I would ask for a volunteer to go and find out what was in the cargo tank of the aircraft. whistle

Sorry but the scenario has lost me somewhat. What is the HAZMAT threat, are we talking about a industrial chemical release like Bhopal with folks dropping like flies or folks complaining about the smell of newly cut grass and almonds.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/25/10 10:29 PM)

#205130 - 07/26/10 12:42 AM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Just a check here - but would a town of 2500 need a SWAT team? Sometimes I fear police are becoming too militarized.

#205135 - 07/26/10 01:12 AM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: roberttheiii]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I would definately send a team to check the corn dogs at the fair to be sure they weren't 'dusted'.

#205136 - 07/26/10 01:16 AM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: roberttheiii]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
crop duster has just crashed outside of town downwind of the town

So what is downwind from the crop duster? Who is monitoring the wind conditions?
So long as the wind is away from populations there is no worry.
Most crop dust or spray is unlikely to drift on the wind from a crash site anyhow.
it isn't like a train car full of poison gas.

Next questions.
Who is handling the co-ordination of your EMS, Fire and Police units?

Assuming somebody responded to the crash already, (EMS, Fire, Police) have they reported any spillage?

Has anybody contacted the crop dusting company or got the MSDS?

Has anybody contacted the EPA?
Or the DOT?

Of course you are going to set up a cordon around the plane but that is pretty standard anyhow.

If the insecticides or herbicides were leaking somebody is going to want to know if they are leaking into water and if they need to do containment.
Even if they didn't leak they might need to be removed before sending inspectors in to investigate the wreck, and they almost certainly need to be removed before the wreckage is transported.

If the materials are solids they would still need cleanup.

Your hazmat crews might be cleaning up chemicals used by your Fire Dept too.

You may also going to need cleanup on spilled fuel from the plane.

Just a last thought. Do your first responders all have training in the placard system and a set of binoculars in their vehicle so they can read the placards on crashed trucks etc?

Edited by chickenlittle (07/26/10 01:25 AM)

#205140 - 07/26/10 03:09 AM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: PhoenixRising]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Well... Since it's a Crop-duster crash,that means usually, Rural Area/Farms/Green Acres,So... No Need for a SWAT team,Everyone is sufficiently armed,& Well-versed for protection.Water supply is normally from canals,of which are closed,or can be closed quickly.Short of Tornadic Activity,winds are rarily strong enough,to blow a "Planted" crop anywhere,or the top-soil,as it would be moist,hence, the need for a crop-duster in the 1st place!The county fair wouldn't even have to know,A crop duster bursting in flames upon crashing,Even thick Black-smoke,wouldn,t last long enough to stir anyones attention,Farms often have smoke billowing from their activities,on a daily basis.On a parts per million ratio,the USDA/FDA rules will apply to the poison/fertilizer strength,so nothing further than an Engine co. would be needed,possibly the sheriff if the pilot,Kicked the bucket.Any of the Deep-Fried delicacies at the fair,would be Un-affected by any amount of Toxins as, They will Kill you,Regardless,lol! As per the size of Crop-dusters,they are Very small planes,single-seaters,short wing-spans for tight maneuvers,& they couldn't carry more than 100 gallons,if that,since 1gal.water=8lbs. The clean up crew would consist of the farmer using his Front-loader & his dump truck covered with a tarp,It probably wont be more than a yard of dirt total,most dump trucks haul 5 or more yds.at a time.If they have a scanner,& are using it at that time,maybe the towns local paper,will send out a reporter.If this town is in Minnesota,since I'm the disaster prep.Mgr.,I will have plenty of time to participate on the judging panel for Best Booya,Gooseberry pie,& Home-brewed Beer,& Ride the "Hammer"&spray the crowd below,:)

Edited by Richlacal (07/26/10 04:49 AM)

#205143 - 07/26/10 05:18 AM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: Richlacal]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Phew, dude, I hope that smiley refers to your whole post. eek

#205156 - 07/26/10 02:14 PM Re: Something to pick your brains [Re: dougwalkabout]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
It's a crop duster. That right there narrows the HAZ-MAT.

Herbicide or pesticide. Ask at his point of origin, or ask the farmer he was working for.

If herbicide -- not so bad.

If pesticide, depending on type, could be semi - to sorta bad.

Materials are more than likely in liquid form - they were crop dusting. Contiain and Clean up and neutralize, according to package directions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 536 Guests and 137 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.