Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204997 - 07/22/10 12:15 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Phaedrus]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
But Benadryl and mosquito repellent would be in my Top 10, I'm not sure you'd survive a night out there without some protection.

This reminds me, I've seen Benadryl listed before, not just on this list and wondered since a side affect of Benadryl is drowsiness I wouldn't think it would be advisable to take in a survival situation. I have inherited both sleeping and allergy/sinus problems so I take Benadryl at night to help with both issues and it does make you quite sleepy, its not somehting I'd want to take if lost in the woods unless I knew I had a good shelter and was safe to sleep.

#204998 - 07/22/10 01:02 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Eugene]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
This reminds me, I've seen Benadryl listed before, not just on this list and wondered since a side affect of Benadryl is drowsiness I wouldn't think it would be advisable to take in a survival situation. I have inherited both sleeping and allergy/sinus problems so I take Benadryl at night to help with both issues and it does make you quite sleepy, its not somehting I'd want to take if lost in the woods unless I knew I had a good shelter and was safe to sleep.

Benadryl should, in my opinion, be in every FAK. If you encounter someone having a serious allergic reaction it could make a significant difference in that person's survival. Same with aspirin for cardiac events.

#205003 - 07/22/10 02:23 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: chaosmagnet]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I second having benadryl and aspirin in a hiking FAK. Benadryl can make you drowsy - it's often given to people who are going to, for example, be settling in for a several hour chemotherapy session (first hand experience on that). But in a hiking/emergency situation, the effect would be virtually non-existent, since the user is likely to be amped up.

#205008 - 07/22/10 04:20 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: tomfaranda]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
I left this list on the screen last night. My wife read it long after I was asleep.

Early this morning I find a note on the key board -

"They forgot the Kahtoola MICROspikes!"

I checked my list and something we never think of leaving home without WAS NOT ON THE LIST! They are always on the boots.

The back country of Idaho is steep and slippery. Most injurys by local hikers are "slip & falls".
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#205009 - 07/22/10 04:28 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: tomfaranda]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
I second having benadryl and aspirin in a hiking FAK. Benadryl can make you drowsy - it's often given to people who are going to, for example, be settling in for a several hour chemotherapy session (first hand experience on that). But in a hiking/emergency situation, the effect would be virtually non-existent, since the user is likely to be amped up.

I know that myself, when I take it I cannot fiht the effect. My wife has many times tried to wake me up too and couldn't. I've since changed and only take a half dose at night but still have a hard time fighting the effect when it kicks in. I don't think I'd be able to fight it in an emergency situation.

#205024 - 07/22/10 07:43 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Squeeze light
You may want to rephrase this one for a more generic and well understood term. I suggest the terms "keychain LED light" or "keychain size LED light".
Point well taken. Change made as highlighted above.

For me, limiting myself to an arbitrary "X number of essentials" is limiting and really not helpful at all. But to nail the point home when educating people, those "essential" lists are very good, I think.
I agree. Arbitrary limits aren't helpful in life or survival. My exercise is about teaching and informing. Hopefully a concise, limited list will be less intimidating and more likely to be accepted by someone not well acquainted with the idea of preparedness.

Another way to drive the point home is to break down into these 4 questions:
  • 1) Can you get enough to drink, even if forced to stay out for a night or two?
  • 2) Can you protect yourself from the environment, i.e. being too hot, too hot, wet or eaten by bugs, even if forced to stay outside for a night or two?
  • 3) Can you find your way home?
  • 4) Failing that, will someone be able to find YOU?
1) Obviously covers the water procurement/treatment debate.
2) Covers shelter, clothing and bug gear.
3) Covers navigation and light.
4) Covers leaving a game plane with a responsible party and some means of signaling (whistle, light, bright colored gear and clothing).
Excellent. Whatever list we bring, and whatever strategy we intend to employ should be tested by questions like those above or by actual scenarios as suggested by Cliff in the original thread.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Water purification can be ranked higher depending on the environment.
Yeah, pretty much everyone is on me for that one.
HJ
In Scandinavia, I drink water pretty much everywhere away from too much urbanization, industry and agriculture, and consider myself lucky that I might do so. I put the into the "locale dependent" part of priorities.
Same here. The water in the mountains of western North America is very clean. Studies I've read indicate that it's actually cleaner than most municipal water supplies. If one uses common sense (don't drink water downstream from livestock for example), the chances of contracting a waterborne illness are very low. Even if one were to come into contact with such pathogens, one normally will show no symptoms unless the concentrations of said pathogens are high. Of those who do contract an illness, the symptoms typically are minor and pass on their own. It is a very small percent of people who contract a waterborne illness in the mountains of western N. America who display the pronounced symptoms that grab everyone's attention.

HJ

#205025 - 07/22/10 07:50 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I think it's a good list... it's going to vary from person to person and even from outing to outing.
Agreed. There's no substitute for sitting down and thinking through what kind of outing one is going to undertake. A list can be a helpful starting point, but thinking to one's self "I've got everything on the list; therefore I am prepared" is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

But Benadryl and mosquito repellent would be in my Top 10, I'm not sure you'd survive a night out there without some protection. Last trip up I got several bites between the time when I opened the door of the truck and the point where my foot touched the ground!
I put "antihistimines" on my list. Hopefully that covers it.

Hmmm...maybe I need to list my own Top 10.
Sounds like a good idea. smile

HJ

#205028 - 07/22/10 08:18 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Eugene]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Eugene: Hmm. Good point about Benadryl. I've not had a strong reaction to Benadryl, so I'm not sure how to properly address the issue in a list. Perhaps an advisory: "Warning, Benadryl may cause drowsiness; use with caution". What do you think?

Cliff: Good point on micro spikes. Of course an ice axe and crampons might also be appropriate depending on the circumstances.

HJ

#205047 - 07/23/10 12:02 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, Benadryl has a warning on it, but my though is maybe there is someting else that could work that doesn't cause drowsyness, just doesn't seem good to have your rescuee fall asleep and be dead weight.
Maybe its just me that gets affected, my wife seem to be affected similarly, whe's had a couple minor surgeries and the anastesia (hate trying from work with no spell checker) really knocks her out. My guess is because we've never had any kind of alcohol, tobacco, or any of the less than legal substances in our bodies we don't have any tolerance to any of those kind of chemicles.

#205050 - 07/23/10 01:42 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Eugene]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Well, Benadryl has a warning on it, but my though is maybe there is someting else that could work that doesn't cause drowsyness, just doesn't seem good to have your rescuee fall asleep and be dead weight.
Maybe its just me that gets affected, my wife seem to be affected similarly, whe's had a couple minor surgeries and the anastesia (hate trying from work with no spell checker) really knocks her out. My guess is because we've never had any kind of alcohol, tobacco, or any of the less than legal substances in our bodies we don't have any tolerance to any of those kind of chemicles.
Ah, I knew all my beer drinking training would pay off!

Not sure what the correct answer is here. I guess each person would have to know what his/her reaction to Benadryl type medications is and then compare that to the severity of the reaction to the insect bites.

I've experienced a bit of drowsiness before with Benadryl, but nothing significant.

HJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 675 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.