Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2047 - 10/10/01 08:41 PM May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings, all. I realize the KISS principle usually negates non-rugged gadgets in survival situations, but I wondered if anyone here uses a Palm Pilot or other PDA with preparedness in mind? Paramedics and physicians use them routinely for drug reference, so it seems reasonable to keep copies of preparedness notes, disaster kit inventories, and the like on a Palm.<br><br>Comments? Suggestions?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tim<br><br>

#2048 - 10/10/01 09:29 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I've been thinking about this for quite some time. The ideal would be GPS,mapping software,wireless comm., and databases of medical, survival and related info. I would also prefer the ability to add large flash or smart media cards.<br><br>

#2049 - 10/10/01 09:55 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well...<br><br>I pretty much LIVE out of my Palm, and have for some years (I'm on my third, and it's about time to upgrade to a fourth). The only time I leave the house without it is when I’m going running- and even then I take my StarTac phone (with lightweight battery, in a waterproof neck pouch), the numbers on which come from synchronization with the Palm.<br><br>Having driving directions, names, and hundreds of phone numbers with me at all times is a huge convenience, and it probably has also kept several situations from turning critical. With the Palm and my mobile phone I am far more capable from anywhere I happen to be, and that’s a real feeling of security in an emergency. I would not choose to be without it- leaving it behind makes me feel almost as unprepared as forgetting my wallet. I also often carry a smallish lockblade folder on the backside of the belt pouch.<br><br>Aside from phone numbers and contact information, I keep e-mail, vehicle information, information about items or books I’m looking for, programming tips and code fragments, innumerable to-do lists, my schedule (business and personal), reminders, chapters of books, articles and transcripts of speeches, memorable quotes, statistics, today’s editions of my favorite web pages (Avantgo), packing lists for several different kinds of trips, lists of things expected in the mail and people who’ve said they’ll get back to me, personal information about associates and friends (wife’s name, kid’s names, interests), business expenses and mileage, user names and passwords for dozens of systems and websites (including this one), encrypted bank account and credit card account information, inventories… you get the idea. I trust it with all this because at any given time the information exists on at least 3 machines, that is, work and home computers, and the device itself, which is a level of redundancy much more secure than any other system I know, including paper stored in just one place.<br><br>Having said all that, though, it’s also true that 95 percent of the time I'm really using the Palm desktop software on computers at work or at home, not the Palm device itself. The unit itself functions largely as a way of keeping the information in sync wherever I am, more than actually getting used itself- but that’s partly because I’m a programmer by trade, and spend much of my life at computers. It’s also true that you need paper backups for critical information- I had a memory card come loose on vacation when I dropped one of the older models- it was Ok, but I lost the information (until I got home and could hotsync with my computer). It was an inconvenience, but I did have paper backups for the vacation-critical information- printed from the Palm desktop.<br><br>So, I guess my approach is that I use it, I use it a lot, I use it for everything… but I try to keep paper printouts to fall back on for the most critical information.<br><br>FULL DISCLOSURE- I also own Palm stock.<br><br><br>

#2050 - 10/10/01 11:33 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about sending a distress signal to a satelite via pilot or handspring? it can pin point location so there should be a way of sending a distress signal through it. that would be neat. then you would only need half the stuff we carry around. to bad my mom broke my palm pilot :(<br><br>

#2051 - 10/11/01 01:43 AM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use a Handspring Neo with a backup module in the springboard. When it crashes( doesn't happen often) I restore using the module. Works great for everything that offers have said. Been taking mine backpacking too. I have a program on it that works as a sun compass, a mirror program, a nice astronomy program and a tide table program. Handspring Pda 's can also be turned into cell phones, gps units, mp3 players and even barcode readers. I find it very useful. Oh and to the guy who owns PALM stock it was down to 1.51 today ouch sorry. PALM is the operating system to choose in a handheld PDA right now just hope they survive the year.<br><br>

#2052 - 10/11/01 03:15 AM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I spent about a year with my wife and son in the hospital. I never knew when it might be an ordinary visit or if I might be staying for days. I always had my Palm with me for my schedule at work. But I also had three or four books downloaded on the thing. All the old Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars books and L'Amour pulp westerns passed many enjoyable hours for me. There's an awful lot of books out in the public domain and it's easy to get used to reading text on that little thing. <br><br>I've planned most of my carry kit and car kit anticipating unexpected stayovers more than true survival situations. I've had to make a little comfort out of too many bad places. You can keep a lot of good reading in that little thing just in case, and keep notes too.<br><br>You can store a lot of text on your palm, but remember the battery is only going to last you maybe a week if you use it alot.<br><br>

#2053 - 10/11/01 01:02 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like some other posters on this thread, I'm a heavy Palm user, and I have mine with me most of the time. I also have some potentially pro-survival things on there like star charts and a solar compass. <br><br>But seriously, these computers are somewhat delicate, are completely dependant on the battery, which may or may not have much life left when you need it, and are hardly water resistant. Also, unless you have a GPS or wireless connection, which I do not, all you are going to get from them is essentially reference information. My feeling is that reference information could be more convenient and reliable in a non-electronic form, and in any event, the skills and knowledge that aren't already mastered when you need them would be difficult to master in a survival situation just using reference materials anyway. <br><br>A Palm isn't going to light a fire, keep you warm or dry or pruify your water for you. I don't see much value in having one in a survival situation, unless boredom becomes a factor and you have some novels in there. Or maybe for those who believe a religious text is important survival gear.<br><br>Of course, PresumedLost illustrated how exhaustive reference information can be very helpful in many circumstances of daily life and that is why I carry one, but I'm talking about a real down-and-dirty am-I-doing-to-live-through-the-night survival situation.<br><br>However, since many of us carry them anyway and are therefore likely to have one on us should we ever find ourselves in a survival situation, it makes sense to have some useful references in there just in case you can make use of it.<br><br>I wouldn't mind having an illustrated edible plant reference and maybe something similar to an illustrated version of the SAS survival guide to supplement some hard-copy survival cards. Anybody know if these references are available in Palm format?

#2054 - 10/11/01 03:02 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CastAway makes all good points. <br><br>I think the key here may be whether the emphasis is on urban/suburban or rural/wilderness survival. For the former, the addresses of friends, relatives, a hospital, or the phone number of a cab company might be crucial, for the latter, we seem to be stretching it's usefulness.<br><br>I’m not too terribly concerned about battery life, as I always carry the “next” set in my pouch, and have resisted (so far) the rechargeable versions, partly because of that. The lack of water resistance and durability are issues. It’s probably more durable than one might expect, but not like serious outdoor gear. I have 3 waterproof cases of various designs for mine (for sailing, mostly) one of which allows some use of the device while enclosed, but they are all less-than-perfect compromises. It’s clear that, for whatever reasons, the computer and consumer electronics industries consider “ruggedized” products a small niche market. Too bad.<br><br>For urban/suburban survival use, though, it’s worth pointing out that it can hold FAR more relevant information than it’s equivalent weight/bulk in paper. I know- I used to use a large Day-Timer, was constantly running out of space, and didn’t have a tenth of the information I have now.<br><br>For pure rural/wilderness use, I have to agree that it’s much more doubtful. I take it car camping, and often on day hikes (which is arguably almost suburban in the East), but I probably wouldn’t take it backpacking, where I really am counting grams. Most of it’s possible functions in the woods are probably better performed by paper or a dedicated device (star charts, GPS, compass).<br><br><br>

#2055 - 10/11/01 05:20 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Oh and to the guy who owns PALM stock it was down to 1.51 today ouch sorry.<<<br><br>Well, I wasn't bragging, just disclosing a possible interest.<br><br>Believe me, I've lost so much money in the market these past two years that this is just a drop in the bucket.<br><br>

#2056 - 10/11/01 11:13 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not use a Handspring for everything? Simple- the more complex it is, the harder it is to break. Trust me, I'm a computer engineer. Ruggedizing is, unfortunately, not a big deal, even with wearable makers. <br><br>The displays are the weakest thing after waterproofing, and I'll be honest- if you can open it, water can get in it. Period. Seals wear out, and have to be replaced exactly right, or they may as well not be there. Even if we can make an oops-proof waterbarrier for openings, there is still the matter of a 3x3 screen that can be taken out of commision with the kind of pressure you can apply by hand. <br><br>If you like it, get a waterproof case for it. But don't rely on it. The reason why we all carry more than one knife or method of firestarting is becuase things go wrong. Matches have one, maybe two, "Murphy factors" a piece. A mirror has one. A PDA has a few thousand. <br><br>So does a radio, but a ELB has a better range than a cellphone, and those are ruggedised already. <br><br>

#2057 - 10/12/01 03:37 AM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My last boss bought a pager company. The old records were on 3 by 5 cards. He transfered everything to a computer system. The records constantly got screwed up, so he went back to the 3 by 5v's. I guess if you use a palm and have it handy you might find a way to use it. Magellan makes or at least used to make a GPS that could send short e-mails with coordinates. Now I could find a use for that. When they do the same with a Palm I'll buy one.<br><br>Regards<br>Hunter<br><br>

#2058 - 10/12/01 10:49 AM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>> My last boss bought a pager company. The old records were on 3 by 5 cards. He transfered everything to a computer system. The records constantly got screwed up, so he went back to the 3 by 5v's. <<<br><br>I love it. :-)<br><br>Y’know, when I was a kid, and I bought my first sharp, new, pocketknife, I cut myself.<br><br>My aunt Ethyl never did get the hang of driving. After awhile, she decided she didn't need to after all.<br><br>For years I used to hang out on a certain history forum, and every once in awhile someone would use their computer to log onto the net and the web to tell us all, sincerely and vehemently, that computers hadn’t changed THEIR life in the slightest. <br><br>When some one tells you that they tried a technology that millions of people use successfully every day of their lives, and tells you THEY couldn’t make it work, implying that this means that there’s clearly something wrong with the technology… what can you say?<br><br>You might use Clint Eastwood’s line on your last boss:<br><br>“A man’s got to know his limitations.”<br><br><br>

#2059 - 10/12/01 01:25 PM Palm Pilots - OT
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in the process of converting Doug's survival kits to Palm Doc format. With Doug's permission, I'd like to upload those to the ETS website for others to use at their leisure. I also found a copy of the US Army's Survival Manual in Palm Pilot format. You can find it on www.memoware.com or www.palmgear.com. Just search for Survival.<br><br>Thanks!<br>Joshua<br><br>Where ever you go, what ever you do, always be a good sport. Chick McGee

#2060 - 10/15/01 03:29 PM Palm survival reference material
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thaks for the tip on the Army Survival Manual. I found it and it's a good resource, even though the illustrations have been stripped out of it :-( (By the way, it is in iSilo format, so be prepared to download that also, both can be had for free).<br><br>I also found another free program on www.PalmGear.com called BioChem that has information on biological and chemical warfare agents including symptoms, treatments, etc.<br><br>Both could be handy references. If anybody finds an illustrated guide to edible plants for Palm couputers, please post.<br><br>Thanks.

#2061 - 10/15/01 03:56 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>When they do the same with a Palm I'll buy one.<br><br>Check out www.delorme.com fo the their Earthmate GPS, which plugs into Palm or Windows CE PDAs (as well as laptops). It's not a normal GPS as it requires the companion computer to operate and display, as well as one of the Delorme mapping products, either Atlas USA, which is a rad mapping software, or Topo USA.<br><br>I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I suspect I will some day. For me, it would be a fun "toy" rather than a tool. Perhaps if I go on longer excursions in more wild areas it would be more valuable. I also would like to see how well their mapping software translates onto the greyscale screen I have on my Palm Vx. The on-line screen shots show the maps in color, which look nice but also read very easily. <br><br>I did try to download their Solus Basic map program, which is the freeware application (Solus Pro is required on the Palm as explained on the Earthmate product page). But it's limited to one map in memory at a time and I couldn't get it to change to a map I wanted, specifically a topographic map of an area I'm familiar with so I could get a real sense of the product's usefulness.<br><br>I'm still toying with the idea of buying it. I'd like to use it to map out the hiking paths at my alma mater scout camp (Owasippe in MI). Then I could produce an accurate trail map, which the camp could really use.<br>

#2062 - 10/15/01 04:01 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>sun compass, a mirror program, a nice astronomy program <br><br>The sun compass program is redundant if you have the astronomy program (I'm assuming it's Planetarium, one of the coolist apps ever writtin IMHO). Just locate the sun (or moon or night star) on the palm in the compass view. <br><br>What's the mirror program?

#2063 - 10/15/01 04:23 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>...today’s editions of my favorite web pages (Avantgo),<br><br>I use this application to download informational web sites. The most useful for me in an outdoors application is www.meritbadge.com, which has all of the requirements for all of the Boy Scout Merit Badges and rank awards. On campouts and summer camp, I can answer any scout's questions on advancement. (BTW, the rechargable battery eaily lasts the week. I also have the travl kit so I can recharge it at the dining hallon the camp's AC power.)<br><br>Although most of you will not be interested in that site, I point it out as an example of how it may be used. You could sync up to your favorite www.equipped.org pages as well for reference. <br><br>My only problem with this approach is that it adds significant processing time to my sych process. So I'm experimenting with an alternative progran, Fireviewer suite. It converts, graphic, MPGs and web pages onto the palm format. I loaded a copies of Doug's PSK, both packed and unpacked and have just started testing the web page conversion (the freeware version doesn't support web page conversion so I just purchased a licensed copy this month.) I've tried a few pages and haven't quite worked out the bugs yet (I can't get all of the pages to download). I'll be calling their support folks soon. This tool could be used to store SAS images as well.<br><br>Another useful program is HanDbase. I have several databases that I use to store inormation on my Palm. I coverted the NOAA weather radio frequencies and channels for the great lakes area so I can properly set the S.A.M.E. codes when traveling or camping. I have also have camping recipes, packing checklists, etc.<br><br>I also keep a huge amount of text data, including survivial info in Palm Memos that I synch with the my desktop PIM (Sidekick). <br><br>Overall, I would categorized the Palm as a useful secondary survivial tool of convenience. But I would not depend upon it as a primary carry item. BTW, I keep mine in a hard shell Palm case in a $5 camera belt poach I picked up at WalMart. The belt poach makes it convenient to wear around camp. The downside is that it's not water proof.<br><br>Here are links to some of the applications I mentioned.<br>HanDbase (www.ddhsoftware.com)<br>Fireviewer (www.firepad.com)<br>Planetarium (wwww.aho.ch/pilot[planets)

#2064 - 10/15/01 05:18 PM Re: May seem silly, but...what about Palm Pilots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mirror+ 1.2 <br><br>Category: Enhancements <br> <br> Use your Palm as a MIRROR or FLASHLIGHT. The best 'mirror' program out there, as it turns the whole screen black (no menu bar cutting into the reflection) and turns the contrast to maximum, unlike other programs, and takes up just 3k of RAM <br>get here http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?sid=24205219990921174411&prodID=9567

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.