Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#20477 - 10/24/03 03:40 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, but it is also an indication that the building owner (we are not the only company occupying the building) did not understand how that problem could exist.
Still no emergency lighting in the carsey!

#20478 - 10/24/03 03:49 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like it a lot!

Questions:
1) have you installed / designed for / recommended any of these to your architecture clients?

2) Can they be secured so that they don't provide burglars convenient access to your home and yet still provide good egress during fire?

#20479 - 10/24/03 03:55 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As mentioned in a previous response, I am in an office on the second floor. Two additional items I have are a hammer and a good long piece (75') of climbing rope. Lots of kidding on this one.
My thought is a fire in or around the only stairway from the second floor would mean an exit from fixed, closed windows. The hammer to remove the glass, after donning the mil grade goggles for eye protection and leather gloves, and most everyone would be able to leave the building via the rope from the second floor.
Shortcoming is that many people know what is there and why, but I am probably the only that can properly apply them. I think we need a training lesson, no matter how many laughs I might get. Probably a good idea to mention this to building management as well.
Thanks for the prompt.

#20480 - 10/24/03 03:58 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
We did install one for a residence that had a thrid story. From what I remember the lever that opened the ladder was located at the top of the ladder. I would say it was buglar proof since you have to use the lever to open it which was located at the top of the ladder.

Here's a video I found on the website.
http://www.jomy.com/jomy/demo.html

#20481 - 10/24/03 04:21 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Very good post.
So far I talked our admins (they also maintain our computer hardware) into getting a decent toolbox and some flashlights. I try the small steps approach. It´s fairly easy to get a few items at a time.
Many thing tend to suffer from being neglected. The FAK can be restocked in a medical station. The light bulbs are changed when the maintenance crew learns that they burned out. I think you catch my drift. I decided to try and care for the things I can influence.

#20482 - 10/24/03 04:32 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
I guess this is going to be my approach. I'll make a list of what is needed and then prioritize that list and start working on the procurement of each item. This should be fun, but I just don't think the office is going to spring for EVAC-U8 hoods for everyone. I also think it will be hard sell to get a FAK that cost more than $35 bucks. But you have to start somewhere and you can always upgrade as you go.

#20483 - 10/24/03 05:12 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Depending upon local zoning laws/regs., many office and other buildings for commercial use are required to be inspected periodically by the Fire Marshal’s Office, who can both recommend and/or enforce Life-Safety Code. Without causing too much of a stir, you may want to contact either the Zoning and Planning Office and/or the Fire Marshal’s Office for guidance. Pete

#20484 - 10/24/03 05:12 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Adam, we recently upgraded one of our FAKs in the office and I grabbed the old one; a wall mounted metal case with a pretty good supply of bandages, etc. I was going to dump it in a garage sale, but I would be happy to send it to you for free. It will give you something to start with.

Feel free to contact me, Sometimeskater@aol.com

#20485 - 10/24/03 05:14 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Pete. I think I will first start with the building management to see what can be accomplished. If that does not work, I will follow your advice.
Thanks again.

#20486 - 10/24/03 05:19 PM Re: Being the "Go To" person in the office?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
If I guessing correctly the second floor should be around 25 feet from ground level. If you are expecting others to also use your rope as a means of egress, you many want to consider placing knots ever few feet, to allow those without gloves to more easily descend the rope. You may also want to have some means of padding the rope over the window sill. Pete

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.