Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#204200 - 07/02/10 12:44 PM Re: Junk Stainless Steel ...? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I keep on hand a couple of bottles of the cheapest vodka I can find. Anything I'm concerned about (Camelback-type bladders in particular) get a liberal dose of the vodka to sterilize and dry them...and then I drink the vodka.

Sometimes I rinse things out 3-4 times just to be sure they are clean. wink

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#204310 - 07/05/10 02:56 PM Re: Junk Stainless Steel ...? [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
It's entirely possible the things are made of some kind of SS that is not appropriate for the end use.

Or that the end user is unknowingly abusing it in some way.

Soaking SS in a strong bleach water solution for any length of time is a bad idea. It should not hurt it to use bleach water to rinse it out as a means of disinfection, but leaving the bleach water in contact with the SS overnight on a regular basis is a bad idea for any grade of SS. In reality you don't need a very strong solution for disinfection,it does not need to contact the surfaces for all that long, and chloride cracking is not as big a deal at low temperatures. So use your head or a different means of disinfection.

No SS is really stainless and all off them can and do corrode. They are all more resistant to corrosion than steels, to one degree or another.

It's also possible that if you are using a fairly thin SS container for heating water the repeated heating cycles are causing a problem. It expands and contracts as it is heated and cooled and if the material has impurities in it, those areas may not expand and contract at the same rate as surrounding material, leading to pinholes.

It's not unusual to find Chinese made steel that has very hard spots in an otherwise fairly soft (at least for steel) plate. It's because they don't worry too much about the steel being perfect, and a lot of their steel is mixed with whatever scrap they can get in the rest of the world and ship there. In fact, China is a huge importer of scrap steel from the US. But when they make new steel plate out of scrap, its not unusual for some hard tool steel to get mixed in and not get mixed up very well so you end up with hard spots in the plate.

Bob

#204313 - 07/05/10 03:38 PM Re: Junk Stainless Steel ...? [Re: ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Blast
I keep on hand a couple of bottles of the cheapest vodka I can find. Anything I'm concerned about (Camelback-type bladders in particular) get a liberal dose of the vodka to sterilize and dry them...and then I drink the vodka.

Sometimes I rinse things out 3-4 times just to be sure they are clean. wink

-Blast

I do the same thing with Isopropyl Alcohol. I have bad skin reactions to a lot of cleaning products. Doctor's aren't sure why, but an allergist suggested using Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning to prevent any reactions on my part. I find it works great for my bladders.

If I drank Isopropyl Alcohol, it would sure clean out my
bladder!

Edited by clearwater (07/05/10 03:39 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.