Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204087 - 06/29/10 10:31 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: jzmtl]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
They do appear to be some wild amalgamate, not regular stainless steel, though I do not see any air bubbles in that photo.

Not sure what do you mean regular, but the jaws are casted not rolled sheet metal like other parts. It's the standard methods and there is only one MT on the market I'm aware of that doesn't use casted jaws, but wire EDM cut tool steel jaws, and of course the price reflects that.

I guess it is just regular cast stainless - it just looks so grainy, but let's be honest, I'm no metallurgist, welder, or anything of the like. When I've occasionally broken cast pieces I think they've mostly been common steel and I'm not accustomed to the grainy looking interior. Regardless, they seem to suit my needs! Out of curiosity who uses cut tool steel?

#204088 - 06/29/10 11:26 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: roberttheiii]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
All heat treated steel will looks like that on the inside, what you see the grain of the steel. On properly heat treated steel will looks satin gray but no visible individual grains.

Multitasker tools (the 2.0 version, not earliest) use billet cut tool steel jaws, but it's made to service AR15 mostly so not particularly useful for everyday use.

#204091 - 06/30/10 12:32 AM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: jzmtl]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I have a Colt match target rifle, so I suppose that may be some justification, but probably not enough!

Heat treated steal looks like that! Interesting. I guess I've mostly (only?) broken untempered stuff then!

Thanks for the interesting info.

#204099 - 06/30/10 01:10 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: roberttheiii]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I bought a Skeletool CX a while ago. Very cool tool, no question. But I don't find it comfortable to use, and I'm scared to push it too hard. So I'm going to sell it.

I still have a couple of the old SideClips for occasions where I need to go thin and light. Otherwise the Wave II is pretty much the minimum for me.

#204100 - 06/30/10 01:50 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: dougwalkabout]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I bought a Skeletool CX a while ago. Very cool tool, no question. But I don't find it comfortable to use, and I'm scared to push it too hard. So I'm going to sell it.

Yeah, there is always the feeling when using the blade on the CX, that a slip of the hand could prove to be very nasty. The CX is also pretty slippery with or without sweaty hands.

The cast jaws of the pliers on the CX breaking in the way they have doesn't surprise me either. The crack propagation seems to have originated at the bottom of lower surface cut out (serves nothing to lower the weight of the tool but seems to weaken the tool considerably). I had a similar issue with one of the tips of the long nose pliers on a LM Core (apparently their toughest tool) breaking off.

It was surprisingly easy to snap (break off) the top of 3-4 mm opposing tip using a vice then file up the broken tips to give the modification shown above.

#204101 - 06/30/10 01:53 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I still have my sideclip and like it, however, the one hand quasi-locking opening blade on the CX makes it the prefered knife for me. Despite some solide negative publicity here I'm sticking w/my high praise, if and until it fails me under normal use.

R

#204266 - 07/04/10 05:56 AM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: roberttheiii]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I recently had a chance to try a variety of multi tools for the only task I need them: wire cutting (everything else is on my swiss champ). All but the ones with rounded edges were nearly worthless. I struggled to get through even a soft metal coat hanger with them because the edges cut into my hand.
Clear winner was the SOG where the gearing meant it could cut through 3 coat hangers at once. Even stil fitting barbed wire into the cutter is going to be tricky.
A BIG advantage of a bayonet is the wire cutter.
The Sock

#204279 - 07/04/10 03:37 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: TheSock]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Interesting! I don't have this hand digging in problem personally - but I never cut barbed wire - so I may just be cutting wimpier stuff.

#204282 - 07/04/10 05:53 PM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: roberttheiii]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I've had various Leathermans from an original PST to a top end Charge with the S30V blades.

They are not my first choice of tool. That honor belongs to the Victorinox tool range. I use one day in, day out for work. Various tasks including wire cutting. They take a licking and keep right on ticking.

I know that some people are fans of the Gerber range, but I have not, thus far, been impressed. To me they come into the better than nothing category.

As for Leatherman tools, well, they ain't bad but they are let down by a lack of hardening on the pliers and most of the knife blades are poor quality steel. I know that a multi-tool blade is supposed to be a secondary blade, but that is, to me at least, a poor excuse. Victorinox put a decent quality blade on theirs so why cannot Leatherman follow suite?

#204300 - 07/05/10 06:55 AM Re: Praise of the Leatherman Skeletool CX [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
>A BIG advantage of a bayonet is the wire cutter.

On that note; any bayonet with a wire cutter could people recommend as general purpose knife?
The Sock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.